Thinking of Marius

JEK

Senior Insider
Going through my desk drawer I came upon this letter from 2003 from Marius regarding the purchase and shipment of 100 books that I created for his 80th birthday. I sent him a dozen as I gift and he called wishing to know a price for 100 copies for Le Select. The early consumer books were expensive and rather rudimentary, but he like them and wanted 100. I told they cost $78 per book, so that would $7800 for the lot. The check arrived shortly thereafter. The books, in 6 boxes, took from 4 weeks to six months to arrive (USPS-La Poste), but they all made it and pne of the books is still visible in the Le Select display case, slightly moldy after all these years!

20200718_)J XXv£iX- yXXl£-.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

JEK do you know what Marius' family plans to do with his massive collection of stuff (aka museum)...

JEK do you know what Marius' family plans to do with his massive collection of stuff (aka museum)...

Not a clue. There is another museum full in his home. Letters from his father. Pictures going back a century or more. As in many families, possibly under appreciated.

I hope someone in his extensive family will take on the project of making a local museum...well worth having the history of Marius's family represented somewhere on the island. They gave so much to each of us, just by sharing their lives with all of the visitors.

Ahh. I did not know the letter from his Dad. What a treasure. Do you know in what language he wrote it to Marius?