Advice on Rosé, svp!

davesmom

Senior Insider
Bonjour to all on and off the island...wish we were there, to those that are. I have been on the hunt for my favorite rosé, Château des Marres 2S, which we first discovered at Nikki Beach Saint-Barth. I found a magnum in a very friendly NYC wine store, from whom I have ordered other wines before, and they are checking for the 750 ml size. They are the only shop in America that actually has it at all, so I will order the magnum. It is a rather pricey rosé, but I really like it. The nice guys at the shop gave me the name of an importer of another wine, having asked them to recommend something close to the style. The importer to whom I spoke recommended one called Sulauze Pomponette. Do any of you know it? (Kevin is my go to expert in this area!) It is very inexpensive, as a bonus! But I don't know if it is good, however. I have had most of the better known rosés, as even Costco sells some, but I guess I am looking for something a little different. Domaine Ott has some pretty good ones, depending upon what one you find.

Here is the website description for the Château des Marres 2S. They are in Ramatuelle, close to St Tropez.
2S CUVÉE - ROSÉ
AOC Côtes de Provence
Made from 50% Grenache 30% Cinsault 20% Tibouren, this Prestige Cuvée is a selection of the best in our cellars.
Its very pale color with pearly reflections is very luminous.
Soft attack on aromas of white peaches developing on an exceptional finesse, where power, length and acidity balance perfectly. The finish is particularly persistent on mineral notes.

Nose:
First nose: White fruits, floral.
Second nose: Citrus fruits, spices.

I am wondering if anyone could please suggest a similar wine available in the US that can ship to California.

If you have any other suggestions for a really nice rosé, please feel free to respond! Many thanks in advance!

Not sure if Ch des Marres even has an American importer???
The tibouren component is perhaps not rare but definitely not common.
Clos Cibonne makes rosés primarily from the tibouren grape. Interesting wines that you might like to try. Located between Toulon and Hyères, their wines are available in major metro areas in the US.

Thank you so much! I am very grateful for your suggestion and will definitely follow up. I am very interested to try these wines! I can always dream about being back there...

Here's what might be best to try: the Rose et Or of Minuty

Ch. Minuty is also on the presqu'île. Rose et Or is one of their estate grown wines and has that tibouren element. It has been excellent in my experience. I think usually in $35-40 range in the states. It's definitely available on our fave island . . . but, alas . . .

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 4.45.50 AM.png

Merci mille fois, Cass, for your suggestions and the wonderful map, as well as your insights on grape style! I think you have really nailed the style of rosé that I like and will report back when my order below, comes on Friday!

And thank you to all who have answered as well! Next I will order the Château Rose et Or of Minuty!

Here is what I am expecting on Friday to try. (I have lots of volunteers here who will help me drink it!)

I thought the price was good and got it on wine.com. Mostly we order directly from producers but that is obviously not possible with these fun rosés. I've seen the Minuty on some websites, too, but of course, have no experience with that one. I am grateful for your thoughtful contribution to my rosé education! Now, I wish I could be there in person to do "real research" on the ground. I had a plan to visit St Tropez after an absence of 40+ years (have been in Provence a number of times recently but haven't gotten all the way back to St Tropez proper) :(; however, Covid intervened in my plans. So I'm doing it from afar this Summer. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed for the future.. Thank you again for your help!

A little follow up on the Clos Cibonne Cotes de Provence Rose Tentations 2019$19.99 rosé! Thank you to Cassidain on this excellent version of rosé wine! We drank it last night and the consensus was that it was really great! I was really impressed with this wine as it has everything I am looking for in a rosé and was a truly excellent price. I will definitely order more, and will be doing some tasting with its sister wine, as well as Cass's next suggestion, Rose et Or of Minuty. If you can't be there in person to taste at the winery, this is the next best thing, especially for the price and the provenance. Cassidain, you have a new profession as personal wine consultant! Many thanks again for making this Covid life a lot more fun!

Very kind, DM :blush-smile:

We haven’t traveled or even gone out to dinner in forever (meaning since this virus business started). Have been drinking more nice wines though than normally.
One in particular we were thrilled to find at such a good price point (low $20’s) is the 2017 Tiziano Mazzoni Colline Novaresi Nebbiolo del Monteregio. From Alto Piemonte. Really delicious traditional style Nebbiolo that we’ve enjoyed several times recently.

Very kind, DM :blush-smile:

We haven’t traveled or even gone out to dinner in forever (meaning since this virus business started). Have been drinking more nice wines though than normally.
One in particular we were thrilled to find at such a good price point (low $20’s) is the 2017 Tiziano Mazzoni Colline Novaresi Nebbiolo del Monteregio. From Alto Piemonte. Really delicious traditional style Nebbiolo that we’ve enjoyed several times recently.

Not sure if I’ll be able to find the recommended Nebbiolo, but since arriving on SBH, I’ve shared two bottles of the Minuty Rose et Or — so good!

My Rosé recollection was having lunch with Andy Hall at ER ( it was my turn to pay) I ordered the Ott and he told me to save many, many Euros and ask for W. A.

OMG, thank you so much for your contributions! I am having fun "researching" the different suggestions and you have written at the exact right time that I was going to order some more wine, especially the Minuty wines. So here is my question: I have seen several Minuty wines and was going to order two different ones: Rose et Or of Minutyand the less expensive Minuty Prestige Rosé 2019.

They are about $20 or so different in price, which is no big deal, but I was wondering if I should skip the Prestige? The Rose et Or goes for about $47 or so and the Prestige is about $27, plus tax and shipping unless the site does not charge tax. I have seen both for less, but on less reliable sites after checking yelp. The wine.com is giving me a little discount to offset the shipping and they did a credible job getting the wine here in good shape. They are also the only site on which I can find both items. So any opinions are welcome on the Or vs. the Prestige.

Cass, thanks to you, I will go Nebbiolo hunting for your wine! As for the wine cellar, we are with you; the French verb, "dévaliser" comes to mind! Drink the good stuff now, because with this virus, we need to treat ourselves well. Plus, I can't leave it all to Dave! Actually it's all good in there so I let Davesdad handle that part of choosing, as that is one of the "man caves" in the house:laughing-cry:. But I've caught him cooking with some, as he is of the opinion that you should cook only with what you would consider drinking...well, if you get to the West Coast, you can go hunting in the cellar with him. You two would have some really fun conversations!

Thank you in advance for any opinions on the above!

That had to be a fun lunch, JEK! Guessing it lasted about 4 hours?! My friend loves Ott, so I have to keep it around for her. She likes the Château de Selle variety. I have had WA, too, and it was a fun wine!
My Rosé recollection was having lunch with Andy Hall at ER ( it was my turn to pay) I ordered the Ott and he told me to save many, many Euros and ask for W. A.

In agreement on Minuty Rose et Or. One of my other favorites that is a reasonably priced bottle is Clos Beylesse Rose Cotes de Provence in. The beautiful blue keeps the wine cooler in the sun and we’ve been able to source the wine a few places in the US.

What a nice suggestion! And the bottle is a stunner, too! I checked it out and it said that there was a taste of lavender, which is a personal favorite! I will certainly have to order in the US but it would be a lot more fun to get it in SBH and be there to drink it! Thank you for helping me with this!