The mountain of debris by Marché U is dwindling

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.31.40 AM.jpg

[h=2]OUR WASTE GOES TO GUADELOUPE
by V.A 07/07/2020
On Friday and Saturday, a barge removed hundreds of tonnes of waste stored outside the supermarket in Saint-Jean. These are crushed bulky items (mainly construction materials, pallets) whose volumes are too large to be absorbed by the Public incineration plant. This shred taken to Guadeloupe will be buried there on a dedicated site. There 68% of the waste is buried without treatment (2016 figure), a percentage that has been falling for several years and that the Guadeloupe Region intends to drastically reduce, hence the difficulty for Saint-Barthélemy to get rid of its surplus of waste. There remain on the Saint-Jean site the equivalent of two barges like this.
[/h]

The waste being disposed of is, by my understanding, mostly waste from the cleanup after Irma. It’s nice to see that the island is trying to do the right thing environmentally. No entity is perfect. Trying is good.

The waste being disposed of is, by my understanding, mostly waste from the cleanup after Irma. It’s nice to see that the island is trying to do the right thing environmentally. No entity is perfect. Trying is good.

Sometimes I can't make search cooperate - I was searching for a post I made in March about that mountain of Irma debris. According to the article above they are down to two barges worth to go!

Sometimes I can't make search cooperate - I was searching for a post I made in March about that mountain of Irma debris. According to the article above they are down to two barges worth to go!

I think Marché U complained about having a mountain of "merde" in front of their new store! Also with hurricane season here again, not good to have a huge pile of potentially lethal flying projectiles left over from 2017...