Have any forum members recently traveled from the U.S. to St. Barths?

Snorkeler

SBH Member
I'm interested in hearing from any U.S. citizens who have traveled from the U.S. to St. Barths in the past 10 days. How easy was it to get a Covid-19 test in the U.S.? What type of paperwork did you bring to document your test results? Did authorities in St. Barths examine your test result paperwork?

And finally, are you enjoying your stay in St. Barths?

I have a client due to arrive there on Wed. I will post their experience as they have to get a test there since they were unable to secure one here properly. Note : it appears there has been a change . You must arrive with neg. covid result effective July 10th with no ability to just wait until you arrive.
If you connect via SJU on Tradewinds you must show neg. test result and you cannot connect via SXM until 15 JULY or later but ALL could change.

I think that passengers arriving at SJU must show a certificate of negative Covid. If arriving without one, testing is available at the airport.

1)I arrived July 1st Phl to SJU onto St. Bart’s. Had the Covid test done in the US before I left and panicked because It hadn’t come the morning of departure. However it came once we arrived in SJU phewwwww. In SJU there is a load of officials doing the Covid test right there with 10 min results.
2) the island is fantastic, as it always is. Some of the shops are closed because there’s not many tourists here yet but the restaurants are open and they are looking forward to serving you good food.. come and enjoy, PS had a fantastic meal at Zion and Tamerin....

Belinda,
Did you have a paper document proving that the test was negative? Or did you have a text message or email on your phone? What kind of proof qualifies?
Thanks.

The text from the diagnostic company was all we had as I had no where to print it off as we were on route. At St Bart’s airport he just looked at the text and checked our temperature

I think that passengers arriving at SJU must show a certificate of negative Covid. If arriving without one, testing is available at the airport.

If you are in transit at SJU and do not go into the public area you do not need proof of test. I emailed them earlier today as we are flying through SJU at the end of the month to the USVI's. We will still get the test at home as my dr said we can get the results in 24 hours.

Check with Tradewind. Unless something has changed, you need to exit the secure area to get to the Tradewind checkin counter, and the Tradewind lounge is also outside the secure area.

Check with Tradewind. Unless something has changed, you need to exit the secure area to get to the Tradewind checkin counter, and the Tradewind lounge is also outside the secure area.

Good to know Kevin! Thanks for clarifying!

Kevin is spot on you have to go via the test area to get to the lounge for Tradewind's... just came through there last week. Our flight was delayed at SJU so we got in late. I explained to one of the security we had our test and we would miss our flight and he let us through, without checking... however they checked at St Bart’s.

...In SJU there is a load of officials doing the Covid test right there with 10 min results....

Could you clarify what type of test was being done?

The 10 minute turnaround, the photo showing a finger-stick sample being taken, and the test being called a "Covid-19 rapid test" fit the description of an antibody test (e.g. Healgen Rapid Test Device) not a PCR test, which tests for viral material obtained by nasal swab (saliva has been proposed but is not widely accepted as an alternative sample for PCR).

The fastest PCR test of which I am aware is the Abbott ID NOW, which provides results in just over 10 minutes (but as fast as 5 minutes if the result is positive...). An antigen test, also different than PCR, that is now coming to market (Becton Dickinson) has a 15 minute turnaround.

From SJU Insider:
IMG_8746.jpeg
IMG_8749.jpeg

I have no idea. It’s a Covid test that’s all I know. Like I said we didn’t stop there because we already had our results and we had to rush through. Just allow enough time between flights if you want to get tested there as there was a lot of people.

What type of test is required in the US?

I had the nasal swab last month to be cleared for surgery and I'm not so sure I would do it again to travel to the islands.

At CVS you do your own nasal swab. Didn’t hurt a bit.

I have a feeling the medical people in my family would say that self test at CVS is not being done correctly.
It wasn't painful when I had it done at the hospital, it was just a sensation that I would not volunteer to have again without a good reason.
The "Q-Tip" is supposed to go several inches in the nose and you know it when it's in there.

True, there’s a mark on the “Q” tip that has to go even with the bottom of your nose. The pharmacist is watching although you do it yourself. At least at our cvs she wanted to see the mark line up.

True, there’s a mark on the “Q” tip that has to go even with the bottom of your nose. The pharmacist is watching although you do it yourself. At least at our cvs she wanted to see the mark line up.
Wait for it- they are developing a spit test

I have a feeling the medical people in my family would say that self test at CVS is not being done correctly... The "Q-Tip" is supposed to go several inches in the nose and you know it when it's in there.

The swab for self-collection does not get inserted as far back.

The self-swab tests aim for a mid turbinate level (as described here) which, as the below diagram shows, is less deep in the nose than nasopharyngeal level.

Self-collected samples taken from this level were reported to have over 90% sensitivity relative to the deeper NP samples, albeit in a somewhat limited study.

IMG_8756-2.jpeg
Coming attraction: Self-appendectomy