"FROM THE MOMENT WE REOPEN, WE IMPORT THE VIRUS"

Izzy

Senior Insider
From Le Journal, this addresses some issues raised in other threads and contains additional information. Translation by M. Google.

IMG_8665.jpeg

VALÉRIE DENUX: "FROM THE MOMENT WE REOPEN, WE IMPORT THE VIRUS"
by V.A 07/01/2020

Neither the tests nor the protocols fully guarantee that a case of Covid-19 will not be imported to the island, while the epidemic is flaring up on the American continent. Everyone must prepare for it, the authorities by establishing an effective health protocol, and the inhabitants by respecting the barrier gestures.

Since the establishment of the Bio Pôle laboratory drive, 515 PCR tests have been carried out, all negative. 110 serological tests (blood test at the fingertip) were analyzed, of which ten returned positive, that is to say that people have been in contact with the virus.

The second GeneXpert test machine purchased by the Collectivity has arrived on the island, with a thousand test cartridges, announced Bruno Magras Friday, June 26, in the preamble to the territorial council. "There is currently no Covid case in Saint Barthélemy. Tourists are playing the game despite a number of uncertainties, "said the President. “An electronic form is being validated by the ministry, which would allow us to better monitor compliance with the protocol by travelers before their departure for Saint-Barthélemy. There remains one point to clarify, border control. It should be the ARS or the state that does it, as I understand the gendarmerie does not wish to deal with it. The question arises, to call on a service provider to take people's temperature, check their tests or send them to the laboratory. "Indeed, many arrivals, local but also tourists, have been surprised in recent days to receive no special instructions on their arrival on the island, or even to find that they did not verify their certificate of negative Covid-19 test . They brought this concern to the attention of the authorities. A priori, it is complicated for the gendarmerie to carry out customs control at the same time as health control.

Reservations for July 4
Aircraft movements have intensified in Saint Jean, and traffic will further escalate with US National Day the weekend of July 4. Voyager is gradually increasing its schedule of connections between Saint Barth and Saint Martin, Great Bay resumes Friday, July 3.

Between June 2 and 25, the ferry loaded 1,406 people from Saint-Barthélemy, and disembarked 1,360. At the airport, from June 1 to 25, 524 travelers arrived, and 746 left. Most with Air Antilles and Saint-Barth Commuter. Tradewind communicates with its American customers, offering them direct flights from Puerto Rico to Saint Barth. It carried 94 customers over the same period (52 on arrival and 42 on departure). Note that the lifting of the imperative grounds did not take place officially until June 22, and a little earlier for the Antilles between them.

"We can't fight the impossible"
If Saint-Barth like all the Antilles needs to resume tourism, it seems impossible to guarantee that the virus will not be imported. Last week, eight cases of Covid-19 were identified in Guadeloupe, all arriving by plane. In Antigua, 39 passengers on the same flight tested positive for Covid. They were mainly residents, returning from the Dominican Republic. All were placed in quarantine.

"From the moment we reopen, we import the virus," says Valérie Denux, director general of ARS Guadeloupe Saint-Martin Saint-Barthélemy. "You can't fight the impossible. "We must prepare for it: there will be cases imported to Saint-Barth, whether the tests are performed on D-3, D + 1 or D + 7. United States, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico… “All around us, the virus is circulating. We should expect a second wave. "

Emphasis is therefore placed on the fastest possible detection of positive cases, their isolation, and then on the identification of contact cases. And Valérie Denux invites us to return to respecting barrier gestures. "There is relaxation everywhere, it is understandable. But we must remain vigilant. Avoid touching each other, respect the distance, wear a mask as soon as you are in a group ... "

Sunday tests
The prefecture is also focusing on preparation in the event of a positive arrival at Covid. She is looking for a solution with the laboratory so that the tests can also be carried out on Sunday: today, a visitor who arrives on Saturday must wait on Monday for screening. It also intends to assist the ARS in the event of the detection of an infected person to identify contact cases.

In Saint-Barthélemy, visitors are asked to provide a test carried out three days before their departure, or failing to be tested on their arrival on the territory, and to confine themselves while awaiting the result. This protocol is in force although there is no legislative text framing it. Bruno Magras declined to comment this week, saying he was "lost in the face of government shifts. The state is expected to make further arrangements at the end of the state of health emergency on July 10. A priori, a global standardization of the test on D-3 for travelers is in the pipeline, desired by the WHO. However, each country or territory may adopt additional entry conditions or special restrictions.

---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------
> Samples are taken at the drive, in the street that runs alongside the Collectivité hotel. Do not go directly to the Bio Pôle laboratory. To make an appointment, you must call +590 (0) 9 76 02 44 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or send an email to covid19sbh@biopoleantilles.com

Form to complete: https://www.biopoleantilles.fr/COVID-19-depistage-par-pcr-du-sars-cov-2/

Appointments can be made for the same day or overnight. The results of the PCR and serological tests are given the same day or the next morning.

The right thing to do is stay away for the sake of the island, imho. On the other hand it would be an economic disaster for businesses and jobs if that idea were to take hold. The island will open up in November and one can only pray that it won't be devastated by an outbreak.

From Le Journal, this addresses some issues raised in other threads and contains additional information. Translation by M. Google.

View attachment 53328

In Saint-Barthélemy, visitors are asked to provide a test carried out three days before their departure, or failing to be tested on their arrival on the territory, and to confine themselves while awaiting the result. This protocol is in force although there is no legislative text framing it. Bruno Magras declined to comment this week, saying he was "lost in the face of government shifts. The state is expected to make further arrangements at the end of the state of health emergency on July 10. A priori, a global standardization of the test on D-3 for travelers is in the pipeline, desired by the WHO. However, each country or territory may adopt additional entry conditions or special restrictions.

---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------
> Samples are taken at the drive, in the street that runs alongside the Collectivité hotel. Do not go directly to the Bio Pôle laboratory. To make an appointment, you must call +590 (0) 9 76 02 44 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or send an email to covid19sbh@biopoleantilles.com

Form to complete: https://www.biopoleantilles.fr/COVID-19-depistage-par-pcr-du-sars-cov-2/

Appointments can be made for the same day or overnight. The results of the PCR and serological tests are given the same day or the next morning.

You realize that the local rules have changed since this article was published and you now need negative test results from within 72 hours before your flight. You cannot come without that and expect to be admitted and tested later. That is no longer the case! There is another thread where that is mentioned, so as for the tests, this was published yesterday, which says if you have been anywhere other than the French islands or the Schengen zone, you must show negative results from a test done within three days before flying… you cannot wait to get a test when you arrive:A compter du 10 juillet 2020 inclus, tous les voyageurs à destination de Saint-Barthélemy ayant séjourné au cours des 14 derniers jours dans un autre territoire que la Guadeloupe, la Martinique, Saint-Martin, Sint-Maarten ou un Etat membre de l'espace Schengen, devront obligatoirement présenter un test PCR négatif réalisé moins de trois jours francs avant le départ. En l'absence de ce test, l'embarquement à destination de Saint-Barthélemy sera refusé. Il ne sera plus possible d'entrer à Saint-Barthélemy en s'engageant simplement à réaliser le test à l’arrivée.

Thank you Ellen,
Interesting how the Covid-19 rules change rapidly. I feel for those who will get caught in the midst of change.

You realize that the local rules have changed since this article was published and you now need negative test results from within 72 hours before your flight. You cannot come without that and expect to be admitted and tested later. That is no longer the case! There is another thread where that is mentioned, so as for the tests, this was published yesterday, which says if you have been anywhere other than the French islands or the Schengen zone, you must show negative results from a test done within three days before flying… you cannot wait to get a test when you arrive.

Apologies - I mistakenly thought that a noncompliant person in that situation could still expect to be admitted, sent for a test and self-quarantined while awaiting the result. Even today's publication by Le Journal seems to make a similar error so at least I was not alone in my mixed up confusion!

Apologies - I mistakenly thought that a noncompliant person in that situation could still expect to be admitted, sent for a test and self-quarantined while awaiting the result. Even today's publication by Le Journal seems to make a similar error so at least I was not alone in my mixed up confusion!

Actually, the new requirement of the test beforehand goes into effect on July 10, so there are still a few days to arrive and get tested upon arrival... clear as mud!

Actually, the new requirement of the test beforehand goes into effect on July 10, so there are still a few days to arrive and get tested upon arrival... clear as mud!

Definitely a major change, but probably for the best to have the airlines and ferries responsible for enforcement if the island doesn't believe their customs agents have the bandwidth for it. I assume they also quickly realized that their testing capacity was too limited to potentially handle 50%+ of all arrivals.

In the long run, while I have a LOT of anxiety about getting test results in time, I also feel more confident staying on the island knowing that this rule is actually being enforced. I was alarmed last night to hear about passengers arriving without any enforcement of the negative PCR test. If we're going to open up for tourism, let's at least make it as risk-averse as possible.

Definitely a major change, but probably for the best to have the airlines and ferries responsible for enforcement if the island doesn't believe their customs agents have the bandwidth for it. I assume they also quickly realized that their testing capacity was too limited to potentially handle 50%+ of all arrivals.

In the long run, while I have a LOT of anxiety about getting test results in time, I also feel more confident staying on the island knowing that this rule is actually being enforced. I was alarmed last night to hear about passengers arriving without any enforcement of the negative PCR test. If we're going to open up for tourism, let's at least make it as risk-averse as possible.
I'm not sure that putting that responsibility on the Ferry companies is a good idea for the Public Health of the Island. What about people that arrive via their own boat? This seems like something that needs to be done by someone in a more Official capacity on the island doesn't it?

There are times where only someone who is French or who understands the fine points of French law and French culture can help to explain things.

Someone who is French, or who understands the different Collectivité/Federal/other responsibilities is welcome to comment here. The Gendarmerie certainly has some responsibilities, but they are not universal. The Police Aux Frontieres, which I think are no longer on St Barth, have some responsibilities too. The Collectivité seems to want no part of controls. So, how does it work?

I'm not sure that putting that responsibility on the Ferry companies is a good idea for the Public Health of the Island. What about people that arrive via their own boat? This seems like something that needs to be done by someone in a more Official capacity on the island doesn't it?

I'm always impressed by the level of criticism when it comes from foreigners. En français, on dit "regarder dans son assiette".

If you don't like the way we're doing it in St Barth, well don't come! On n'a pas besoin de donneurs de leçons!

Now to the facts:

Private boats, private planes, .... must also clear customs & immigration upon arrival. Border control is border control, including for private vessels.

How is it enforced?

Border authorities at the port and at the airport. They will check your passport (as usual) and will also check your PCR tests, this is usually done with an agent from the A.R.S close by who will take notes and ask the standard covid questions and to see the negative test results.

The idea is to add another protection layer by delegating control to the airlines and ferry companies BEFORE TRAVEL. The same way they have to check for passports and visa requirements (their own responsibility).

The Collectivité seems to want no part of controls. So, how does it work?

It is not that they don't want to control the border, they can't! St Barth is not an independent island, it is part of la mère patrie la France, and as such Paris makes the decisions and the Gendarmes enforce.

Islander is correct. There is a very clear chain of command. The best thing for people who are not comfortable is to just stay home until all the kinks are worked out. La vie y a des hauts, la vie y a des bas, la vie c'est comme ca.

Islander is correct. There is a very clear chain of command. The best thing for people who are not comfortable is to just stay home until all the kinks are worked out. La vie y a des hauts, la vie y a des bas, la vie c'est comme ca.

I like that statement, Pascale. :up: A nice twist on "It is what it is".

I'm always impressed by the level of criticism when it comes from foreigners. En français, on dit "regarder dans son assiette".

If you don't like the way we're doing it in St Barth, well don't come! On n'a pas besoin de donneurs de leçons!

Now to the facts:

Private boats, private planes, .... must also clear customs & immigration upon arrival. Border control is border control, including for private vessels.

How is it enforced?

Border authorities at the port and at the airport. They will check your passport (as usual) and will also check your PCR tests, this is usually done with an agent from the A.R.S close by who will take notes and ask the standard covid questions and to see the negative test results.

The idea is to add another protection layer by delegating control to the airlines and ferry companies BEFORE TRAVEL. The same way they have to check for passports and visa requirements (their own responsibility).
And I'm impressed with the level of arrogance that someone has on what is someone else's opinion...

Also interesting is that you seem to prove that what I suggested was not only an accurate concern but that it is how it is actually being done. You are an odd bird who just seems to like to argue and tell everyone how wrong they are about everything. Feel free to not read anything I post and please don't PM me again either...

"Border authorities at the port and at the airport. They will check your passport (as usual) and will also check your PCR tests, this is usually done with an agent from the A.R.S close by who will take notes and ask the standard covid questions and to see the negative test results."

And I'm impressed with the level of arrogance that someone has on what is someone else's opinion...

Also interesting is that you seem to prove that what I suggested was not only an accurate concern but that it is how it is actually being done. You are an odd bird who just seems to like to argue and tell everyone how wrong they are about everything. Feel free to not read anything I post and please don't PM me again either...

"Border authorities at the port and at the airport. They will check your passport (as usual) and will also check your PCR tests, this is usually done with an agent from the A.R.S close by who will take notes and ask the standard covid questions and to see the negative test results."

Not an "opinion", read your post once more:

You obviously had no idea. As explained before (but you decided to ignore that fact in your last post), and in response to KevinS request to have an explanation from someone who understands how the system works: border control is made by border authorities, not the "ferry companies". Authorities have asked airlines and ferry operators to check PCR tests BEFORE TRAVEL. It makes sense: if the passengers don't have the PCR tests, it is better that they don't travel to SBH at all, because they will be refused entry into the island anyhow.

I'm amazed how someone, who is not local and simply a visitor, plays Mr Right about how things should be done on the island. Perhaps don't you understand French, but this is exactly what I meant by "donneurs de leçons":

This seems like something that needs to be done by someone in a more Official capacity on the island doesn't it?

If you don't know about the topic, it would be better not to say anything, as it is misleading people who are really trying to gather information on how to get here.

PS: I will ignore the rest of your message, not worth it.

Not an "opinion", read your post once more:

You obviously had no idea. As explained before (but you decided to ignore that fact in your last post), and in response to KevinS request to have an explanation from someone who understands how the system works: border control is made by border authorities, not the "ferry companies". Authorities have asked airlines and ferry operators to check PCR tests BEFORE TRAVEL. It makes sense: if the passengers don't have the PCR tests, it is better that they don't travel to SBH at all, because they will be refused entry into the island anyhow.

I'm amazed how someone, who is not local and simply a visitor, plays Mr Right about how things should be done on the island. Perhaps don't you understand French, but this is exactly what I meant by "donneurs de leçons":

If you don't know about the topic, it would be better not to say anything, as it is misleading people who are really trying to gather information on how to get here.

PS: I will ignore the rest of your message, not worth it.
I know it's hard to read from so far up on your high horse, but try one more time. I never said how the checking of tests was actually being done on the Island or even alluded to it. I responded to (and quoted) someone who stated it was probably for the best to have the airlines and ferries be responsible for the testing if the Island "agents" couldn't and stated my opinion that I thought that would not be a good idea.

This is sad and why many, including myself, hesitate to post. I appreciate the many members who do post and offer helpful information and opinions, esp those who live on island and know it well. iWe are currently on island and have tried to be courteous and respectful of rules and protective measures as I understand the reluctance of locals re: border reopening. The island is very peaceful(except for road work) and we are embracing every minute. I offer a favorite quote;“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others. “I am extremely grateful to be here. Let’s all remember how much we love St Barth and give thanks and hope for the future!
I know it's hard to read from so far up on your high horse, but try one more time. I never said how the checking of tests was actually being done on the Island or even alluded to it. I responded to (and quoted) someone who stated it was probably for the best to have the airlines and ferries be responsible for the testing if the Island "agents" couldn't and stated my opinion that I thought that would not be a good idea.

I apologize if my post came off other than how it was meant to, but if you read the thread I was not the one who "attacked" for lack of a better word