Maps and Roads

LuckyKid

SBH Insider
Adjacent to the beach. The map view, next to other houses provides better context.
Still quite close to the nature reserve “red zone.”

View attachment 53299

Attachments

• 984F0298-6AA9-469A-87D9-E1ABFD9A79A9.jpg
    984F0298-6AA9-469A-87D9-E1ABFD9A79A9.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 476
Isn’t it interesting to see that the road has a name — “D210” — other than “the Flamands Beach road!”

I believe that Rosemond used to do some work as a surveyor on the island . . . maybe he or Ellen can tell us how the road numbers were developed.

I don’t know the why, but major routes all have numbers. The intersection of D209 and D112 is the famous roundabout by the airport.

View attachment 53300

Attachments

• B83D2082-3819-4618-BC44-3C69F67860D3.jpg
    B83D2082-3819-4618-BC44-3C69F67860D3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 452
The D stands for departmental which means they were so called when the island was part of the department of Guadeloupe. As that is no longer the case, maybe they should be renamed with a T for Territorial?

Isn’t it interesting to see that the road has a name — “D210” — other than “the Flamands Beach road!”

I believe that Rosemond used to do some work as a surveyor on the island . . . maybe he or Ellen can tell us how the road numbers were developed.

Rosemond may be able to provide better information than I can, but this is what I know. There are actually road signs, maybe 2.5”by 5” which have the official Departmental (The “D” I think) route numbers on them. I’m familiar with three, the D209, the D210, and the D211. I’ve only seen them published on topographical maps of the island, and it is sometimes unclear exactly where they start and end. The D210 has one end in Flamands, but it’s not clear where it ends - maybe La Tourmente? The D209 runs from Gustavia, through St Jean, past your villa, and somewhere after that it turns into the D211, which continues from Grand Fond, past the Normandie, to where it ends at the intersection by the Mini-mart and the Cemetery.

Many (all?) of the smaller roads outside of Gustavia have numbers too, but I have never seen a map which shows them. I see them on notices of road closures for construction, but nowhere else.

Note D212 on my post above. Guadeloupe indeed has D routes starting with D1. They also have N routes(National?)

Rosemond may be able to provide better information than I can, but this is what I know. There are actually road signs, maybe 2.5”by 5” which have the official Departmental (The “D” I think) route numbers on them. I’m familiar with three, the D209, the D210, and the D211. I’ve only seen them published on topographical maps of the island, and is sometimes unclear exactly where they start and end. The D210 has one end in Flamands, but it’s not clear where it ends - maybe La Tourmente? The D209 runs from Gustavia, through St Jean, past your villa, and somewhere after that it turns into the D211, which continues from Grand Fond, past the Normandie, to where it ends at the intersection by the Mini-mart and the Cemetery.

Many (all?) of the smaller roads outside of Gustavia have numbers too, but I have never seen a map which shows them. I see them on notices of road closures for construction, but nowhere else.

Fascinating! Can you imagine getting directions: “. . . take the D210 to the D211, then go right for 400 meters?”

I had forgotten the D212.

OK, switching from my paper map to the Google, I’ve learned a bit more:

D209 - The route runs from Gustavia to Toiny, with a branch at the top of the Camaruche hillside which runs past Tim’s old villa in Vitet, and ends in Devet.
D210 - The route runs from Auberge de la Petite Anse in Flamands, and ends at L’Oeuf, the intersection above Anse des Cayes.
D211 - The route runs from where the D209 ends in Toiny, through Grand Fond, and ends where it again meets the D209 at the cemetery in Lorient.
D212 - The route runs from Anse des Lézards, past L’Oeuf where the D210 ends, to La Tourmente, the traffic circle above the airport.

I've tried another of the things that Mods can do, which is much more fun than timeouts, LOL.

I thought that the discussion of Maps, Roads, and Departmental Route Numbers deserved to be in its own thread, so I've copied those posts here.

The D stands for departmental which means they were so called when the island was part of the department of Guadeloupe. As that is no longer the case, maybe they should be renamed with a T for Territorial?

if you read les arrêtés du président on the com’s site, you find that some roads are referred to by name, eg rue de la république, but most are la voie no. 43 or la voie 209, etc.
apparently every little road is assigned a number.
recently, roads are sometimes referred to as voie territoriale no. xxx

I've tried another of the things that Mods can do, which is much more fun than timeouts, LOL.

I thought that the discussion of Maps, Roads, and Departmental Route Numbers deserved to be in its own thread, so I've copied those posts here.

Excellent!