Fish market

yes open saturday, no sundays. fish market open this morning when I passed at 7:30 a.m. in gustavia. also lolo's fish market open in lurin this morning with lobsters, mahi-mahi etc.

lolo's on the left if you are heading up the hill from gustavia towards santa fe. its just before the gym

Well, all excited for fresh fish this am, 5.45 on the dock and nooooooooo fish ughhhhhhh not a sign of a fish in sight....lol.

Le News https://www.facebook.com/NewsStBarth

Has been posting nearly daily updates (shortly after 0600), but none today. How is the weather? Sometimes they just can't go out and one the updates below notes a storm.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.15.01 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.15.18 AM.jpg

I bought a nice fino (I think in the US they call it sea bream) the other day, 2 kilos.. the fisherman made two very nice filets and Rosemond enjoyed the head as well (mostly the eyes!)

I bought a nice fino (I think in the US they call it sea bream) the other day, 2 kilos.. the fisherman made two very nice filets and Rosemond enjoyed the head as well (mostly the eyes!)

I know it grosses many people out but I love the eyes too. When the kids were little, no better way to freak out the family than to cook a whole fish for dinner and poke the eyeballs out and pop them into my mouth.

We once had a nice Tamarin lunch with Rosemond and Ellen that featured a whole local fish. Rosemond gave me a new appreciation on how to truly enjoy every bit of the fish!

I know it grosses many people out but I love the eyes too. When the kids were little, no better way to freak out the family than to cook a whole fish for dinner and poke the eyeballs out and pop them into my mouth.

Do the eyes really have a taste?

Parts is parts. There are some parts which I'm very fond of. Fish cheeks and beef cheeks come to mind. I wouldn't have a problem with the eyes. I'm a little bit hesitant about sweetbreads - I'll eat them if they appear in front of me, but I won't order them. Where I draw the line is filters. No livers or kidneys for me. Not even chicken livers. But I will eat chicken hearts - not a filter.

I would like to cross out an entire species too. Goat. I've tried goat many different ways, and never liked it. I've tried it roasted. fricasseed, sauteed, Goat Water Soup, and many more. I once had an Admin from Jamaica who said that I just wasn't getting good goat. I'm convinced that I just don't like goat.

When we dine with Rosie, I usually gift him the eyes of my fish. We have shared often...hey it's what friends do.

Do the eyes really have a taste?

Yes. A bit nutty. Its a textural thing too. I can't really describe it well.

I adore sweetbread properly prepared. Often its over cooked. Les Bananiers has a nice version or at least they did. Haven't been back there since Irma. Love liver, not a fan of kidney. And don't get me started on the tomalley from a lobster. Gobsmacking good.

I eat a lot of strange things you can tell.

When we dine with Rosie, I usually gift him the eyes of my fish. We have shared often...hey it's what friends do.

and he appreciates it... in his family they often toss a coin for the head!

fish cheeks are good as well, I agree with Kevin on that.. we have friends who used to have a house in NJ near Cape May and they caught bluefish all summer and saved the heads.. the final meal of the season on the night before closing up the house was always spaghetti with blue fish cheeks, oil, and garlic... yummy!

Kevin,
You make me laugh when I think about your comment regarding Goat. I have a cast iron stomach and eat most anything. A curried Jamaican goat from a restaurant in Port Antonio, Jamaica comes to mind, which did not agree with me. Must not have been your Admin from Jamaica either. I was the only person in our party whom order the goat, therefore, the only person whom got ill. So I agree with you "I'm convinced that I just don't like goat either."

I adore sweetbread properly prepared. Often its over cooked. Les Bananiers has a nice version or at least they did. Haven't been back there since Irma.

You will be happy to know that the sweet breads are still divinely prepared and served at Bananiers!

and he appreciates it... in his family they often toss a coin for the head!

fish cheeks are good as well, I agree with Kevin on that.. we have friends who used to have a house in NJ near Cape May and they caught bluefish all summer and saved the heads.. the final meal of the season on the night before closing up the house was always spaghetti with blue fish cheeks, oil, and garlic... yummy!

Ellen, here in SC we are sometimes able to get grouper cheeks at a fish market on the other side of Parris Island, best part of the fish ! Have to pre-order since don't always have. Other parts, not so much for me !