Development at Petit Anse

LuckyKid

SBH Insider
I've seen pictures on FB and IG of the building, construction going on at Petit Anse currently. Many of us find this little beach to be a special place. Never crowded--great for families, young children and snorkeling.

On the ATE (Nature Reserve) maps this area looks like a "high protection zone." https://agencedelenvironnement.fr/
Doesn't the ATE (or it's Territorial Council) they have any say in restricting villa construction within the reserve. Run-off from storms, waste water (where does it go?), coastal habitat destruction, etc.

I'm angry + saddened at the continued laissez-faire development approach by the Collectivity. A visitor to the island for 40+ years, I've been watching so much of the island's natural beauty built-up and paved over. Sad to see this happen.

PetitAnse-development-FB.jpg

PetitAnse-development.jpg

This nonsense has got to stop. Who is holding the local government here accountable for the constant violations of their own restrictions against developing in protected zones? The previous posters are correct -- this is ruining the island. There is not a capacity issue on St. Barth even in peak season. There's no reason that the government shouldn't take a far more conservative approach to approving these applications, and, most importantly, actually following the law when approving them.

It is a shame, but it seems like some sort of a hotel or very large villa foundation. My father told me about this last time he was on the island, that this parcel of land had some possibility of development. I'm honestly surprised that peninsula area had gone undeveloped for so many years given the location and views of Flamands. The excavation of the site looks absolutely massive.

2B993E91-2BB8-4F2D-9CC2-F3CD9D4AF571.jpeg

6B6F7863-335D-440D-B2DA-DE0CE70D5C0D.jpg

John, Kevin - couldn’t figure out how to rotate for here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to congrat MikeR for transitioning from the Tub42 to this amazing villa right in the heart of his sweet spot!