Jobs on St. Barth - US Citizen?

apexplatypus

I know this question has probably been asked, and the logistics of it are more than a bit prohibitive, but if an American citizen wanted to find a job on St. Barth, what would the "easiest" route be?

I understand the visa restrictions for US citizens to be 90 days.

Knowledge of the French language would also be a must.

I have been visiting St. Barth regularly for over 15 years and have always entertained daydreams of someday working and living on the island. I have researched, asked friends living on the island, and brainstormed about this many times, but I am looking for more advice from an inside perspective.

As a recent college graduate from the US with an advanced degree and several years of professional experience, little knowledge of French, but a deep desire to learn and integrate into the culture, I figured I would ask the forum about any of their knowledge of whether this has ever been accomplished.

I understand the barriers to this dream for an American citizen would be so large that I almost hesitate to even ask. Aside from obvious monetary limitations, residency issues, and language barrier, what else stands in the way? Would attaining French citizenship be one of the only ways it is even possible?

I have been an observer of the forum for a while, and I just wanted to inquire about the possibilities and perhaps fuel the fire of my daydreams a bit more.

I'm sure many of you have also dreamt of this possibility, and any knowledge you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You seem to have listed the possible hurdles in your own post. There are many.

I wish you luck but I would never want to work where I vacation.

Very few Americans work here, and a few of those that do are married to locals! I think you would need a residency card that allows you to work, which is not easy to get. Or a company/hotel would have to offer you a post in advance and get permission from the Collectivity to hire you. If you were already married to a French citizen or European you'd have a foot in the door. Or you could start your own business and get a commercial permit to live and work on the island. You would have to master speaking and writing French before you could apply for citizenship, not sure what the other requirements might be. Another way to do it would be to have a job or business where you can work remotely and spend the majority of your time here, for which you can apply for a long-term visa at your local French embassy or consulate. Or work for one of the villa rental agencies that have a US presence, and you would be their US employee but represent them on the island... not sure exactly how that would work. Or buy a villa and live in it and rent part out as an airbnb for income. But in a nutshell, you cannot just show up here and look for a job...
In what field is your degree?

Dennis,
Thanks for the reply. I have definitely considered that. Sometimes the stress of life in the US gets to me! I think that is what led to this post. With the rise of remote work, I figured it might be possible to have a great balance on St. Barth with some type of employer willing to put up with my lifestyle. I suppose the problem really is the citizenship or visa hurdles.

elgreaux, thanks for this reply. This is really the information I was looking for. Knowing it is possible is something that gives me hope! My degree is in business so the route you describe does seem alluring. Mastering the French language will be an entirely different endeavor. I understand applying for the long-term visa to work remotely would really be the most sensible option. I could post up on Flamands with a Wi-Fi signal and Zoom chat away with colleagues without the need for any fancy backgrounds.

If you send me a juicy replacement from Le Select next time you visit via UPS cold storage, we can talk. Medium rare!

You really want one from JoJo Burger....

Yes! Yes, Ma’am, I sure do!!!

PS: I don’t recall her name, but an employee there, who is/was also working at Bananiers was pregnant when I was on island last year; do you not if she had a boy or girl? Assuming you even know who I’m talking about. (Sorry for the hijack.)

You really want one from JoJo Burger....

I'm embarrassed to say I have driven past JoJo Burger several thousand times and never experienced it! Usually Le Piment gets my business when I'm that close to Lorient. I have seen some online photos and it looks like it lives up to the hype.

Christopher has an AMAZING burger.

3DADC4BF-2B3D-4213-9896-F470FAF3EDB8.jpg

OH MY! That's a meal, a Jojo Special, I think? Double beef, bacon, a fried egg (don't knock it until you've tried it), a little salad (lettuce, tomato, onion), and, if I recall correctly, maybe some shallots? Yum, or in French, Miam!

Alain, who once worked at the Hideaway, introduced me to an egg topping on a burger..he was right!