covid 19 travel insurance

chiz

SBH Member
just curious as to what people are doing on travel insurance for covid 19. For instance, what if all is well and then your 72 hour test comes back positive which then results in a last minute trip cancellation. What coverage options, if any, have you seen?
Thanks!

I suspect only CFAR will cover but I've never used any travel insurance so I'm less of an expert than...well...pretty much everyone...:nerd:

Good luck with that.

I've been trying to get answers, more particularly for travel medical. I use Medjet for medical evacuation, at this time they won't evacuate a person with Covid and have no plans to do so in the future.

There are stories out there of travelers who did not heed the call to return to their respective countries before the travel restrictions were put in place and are facing serious medical bills after being hospitalized.
Here is a story of a man who ran up a one million dollar bill, fortunately he became ill in his home country.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...omes-with-a-1-1-million-dollar-hospital-bill/

Two months ago I called a travel agent I know and asked if anyone was inquiring about insurance, he said no. Last week I called out of curiosity, he said he's getting up to 10 calls a day.
I'm sure there are many that don't travel with travel medical and I suspect many will throw caution to the wind and go without it.

just curious as to what people are doing on travel insurance for covid 19. For instance, what if all is well and then your 72 hour test comes back positive which then results in a last minute trip cancellation. What coverage options, if any, have you seen?
Thanks!

I have used AIG Travel Gaurd but have never filed a claim. Here is their covid disclaimer: https://www.travelguard.com/travel-news/coronavirus-advisory

Maybe someone else is better at reading these things than I. Based on what I am seeing they will cover you if you get sick just prior to your travel.

There are so many variables it's hard to discern what's covered and what isn't. Too late now. I'll take a look in the morning.

Travel insurance has changed alot in last few months.
You can obtain cfar insurance only through a few companies and a couple has exception for covid.
I would suggested Travel Insured for cfar. Keep in mind you must purchase within 21 days of the 1st day you place monies and you also must insure all prepaid non refundables
If you are ok with medical only, i would suggest Travel Ex as they treat covid like any other medical condition/flu and if you or your family get it prior/during you are covered. And they also cover for quarintine.
Make sure you call upon experts during this time
It's all about protecting your investment and insurance is not your only resource!