Tipping

belinda

SBH Insider
Can someone give me an update on tips in restaurants. I know when we were on the island last one of the top restaurants on the island asked when they brought the bill about how much % we wanted to add on as a tip. I remember (after the event) mentioning it on the forum and being told they only asked us that because they knew we were tourists. Having brushed up a little on my French for this trip I’m still not able to pull off a local accent (lol) what is the correct amount to give on a tip, or not to tip? That is the question :rolleyes:

had to search thru lots of locked down threads (touchy subject, this) to find this oft-quoted (by a dear friend of The Andy) advice on the subject:

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 6.56.05 AM.png

Thanks everyone, sorry Andy, I didn’t read through the threads.. guess I’m just so excited and impatient to be arriving on the island.

I feel that a solid 10% in Euros is the best way to go, but listen to Amy as they need every cent but they can find. You can ask the server to add the 10% on to the bill, but I feel the cash left on the table is the cultural best.

I find it offensive to be asked how much I want to tip by a server or manager or owner. I learned a long time ago that the word 'tips' translates to 'To Insure Prompt Service.' We/I always tip well when deserved, I prefer to give cash so that the server gets it 'up front' instead of waiting for it from the credit card company to the restaurant.

That’s what happened on our last visit. The waiter came over and asked if we were ready for the bill and we said yes, he then he asked how much tip we “are” putting on as it had to be included in the total as there was no tip line to put it on. As we looked at each other he said 20% was customary and what most guests leave. I then found out this was not so customary as he claimed. I have no issue leaving a tip especially for great service. I just hate being taken, especially when the restaurant was one of the top ones on the island. Still we will leave a tip, like you said Nancy to insure prompt service.....

That was a horrible experience. And "one of the top [restaurants] on the island" Sorry for your bad experience.

Was it a certain Italian place? If so we have had the same experience there. Sort of off putting. Happy to tip. Not happy at times with feeling as though you are being taken advantage of.

I'm a student of the "Andy" tipping practice, I usually tip, and I usually tip nicely. I find "tip trolling" to be objectionable. Tip Trolling is a great incentive for me to keep a few extra Euros in my pocket.

I'm a student of the "Andy" tipping practice, I usually tip, and I usually tip nicely. I find "tip trolling" to be objectionable. Tip Trolling is a great incentive for me to keep a few extra Euros in my pocket.

Oui.

I have had a decent amount of euros in my hand ready to leave but then the "trolling started". Money back in my pocket.

My (least) favorite: "You have to add the tip now on the machine!"

Um...no I don't.

I'm with Dennis and Kevin, do not troll on me or you get nothing! That is my standard procedure. Tip well or not at all, it is in the hands of the wait staff upon presentation of the bill. Silence is golden.

At the risk of being contrarian here (and some might say naive), I'd like to say that (a) I understand the indignation described by several people, but (b) having also been on the receiving end of the same message, I've seized the opportunity on a couple of occasions to discuss the issue with the "offending" waiter / waitress. My conclusion is that in most, but not all, cases, the message has been genuinely intended to be friendly & helpful -- i.e., a waiter / waitress, believing that I would like to leave a tip, seeks to be helpful in volunteering the inherent limitation of doing so when payment is made with a credit card.

The manner in which the message has come to me, moreover, generally has seemed to reflect a cultural difference (i.e., I find that people from France are more "direct" in what they say than Americans are) and, sometimes, a lack of proficiency in English.

In any event, on only a couple of occasions have I experienced a disagreeable engagement when I raised the matter -- both times being in high-end restaurants -- and I simply didn't leave tips. (I've subsequently been back to both places, and I apparently made an impression because they no longer remind me of the tipping issue.)

Yes, Dennis that can be the case in some instances, if not, most instances. However, I believe, by now, most establishments know me well enough, they do not ask if I want to leave a tip on the credit card. It is not a problem for me. I was responding to "Texas" Dennis and Kevin posts. We seem to always have a very pleasant dining experience at every restaurant where we dine. I can only think of two negative experiences over the past couple of years. Have not been back to them since. As they say, too many restaurants and too little time.

I agree with you, Bob . . . in situations where I'm known, only someone new to the place might comment about tipping.

I have had one experience where I tried to have a tip added to the credit card charge, but was told that the owner didn't allow it. I did leave a tip, but being short on € at that moment, I left it in cash $.

The only situation I recall where the owner will not allow a tip to be added to the credit card charge is Maya's . . . it's prohibited by their accountant, whom I know. Talking with him about it, there's an explanation on the basis of French law. Most restaurant owners, however, are either unaware of the law or disregard it.