The Service for Marius and website link

Phil sent me the program for the funeral. It's also on the Caringbridge site.

Marius program 1 s.jpg

Marius program 3 s.jpg

Marius program 2 s.jpg

A translation, mainly from this source, of the poem (listen to a reading en français here) by Jean d'Ormesson:

The Train Of My Life

At birth, we get on the train and meet our parents.

It is believed that they will always travel with us.

Yet, at a station, our parents will step off the train, leaving us alone to continue the journey.

As time passes, others step on the train.

And they will be important: our siblings, our friends, our children, even the love of our life.

Many will step off (even possibly the love of our life), and leave a greater or lesser emptiness.

Others will be so discreet that we will not realize they have left their seats.

This trip by train will be full of joys, sorrows, expectations, greetings, goodbyes and farewells.

Success is to have good relations with all passengers provided we give the best of ourselves.

We do not know at which station we will step off.

So let's live happily, love and forgive!

It is important to do so because when we get off the train, we will have to leave only beautiful memories to those who will continue their journey.

Let's be happy with what we have and thank heaven for this fantastic trip.

Also, thank you for being a passenger on my train.

And if I have to step off at the next station, I'm glad I've come a long way with you!

I want to tell everyone who reads this text that I thank you for being in my life and traveling on my train.

Parfait..an excellent choice for the reading.

And if you put a conductor’s cap on his head, you realize how much of a fantastic ride he led us through on his little engine that could.

Would that the world would learn the truth if this simple poem and would that we all could learn from Marius' example.

Our deepest sympathy to his family.

. . . and Marius’ train was especially crowded with passengers who did not want to leave him.

A translation, mainly from this source, of the poem (listen to a reading en français here) by Jean d'Ormesson:

The Train Of My Life

At birth, we get on the train and meet our parents.

It is believed that they will always travel with us.

Yet, at a station, our parents will step off the train, leaving us alone to continue the journey.

As time passes, others step on the train.

And they will be important: our siblings, our friends, our children, even the love of our life.

Many will step off (even possibly the love of our life), and leave a greater or lesser emptiness.

Others will be so discreet that we will not realize they have left their seats.

This trip by train will be full of joys, sorrows, expectations, greetings, goodbyes and farewells.

Success is to have good relations with all passengers provided we give the best of ourselves.

We do not know at which station we will step off.

So let's live happily, love and forgive!

It is important to do so because when we get off the train, we will have to leave only beautiful memories to those who will continue their journey.

Let's be happy with what we have and thank heaven for this fantastic trip.

Also, thank you for being a passenger on my train.

And if I have to step off at the next station, I'm glad I've come a long way with you!

I want to tell everyone who reads this text that I thank you for being in my life and traveling on my train.

Izzy, thank you for using your considerable talents to both translate and link the reading by the author. I can see Marius, with a twinkle in his eye, telling the tale of using a train metaphor to describe the life of island black man who traveled by donkey to the "far" reaches of his little rock.

I can see Marius, with a twinkle in his eye, telling the tale of using a train metaphor to describe the life of island black man who traveled by donkey to the "far" reaches of his little rock.

And then there was Sputnik!