Le Guanahani - Reopens Spring 2021, Now Affiliated With Rosewood Hotels

Hey Dennis, yes, your hood ! My only point/question was this: is a property owner obliged to provide access to a landlocked beach? I don't think so, but not sure. For example,

Are the Rockefeller estate owners obliged to provide land access to la plage de l'Anse Gros Jean ?

Do they do anything to prevent it? It's a hike, but there's a route - if you can find it. But I'm not sure why anyone would want to, other than for "checking the box". You might want to ask some different family owners on that hillside too.

Do they do anything to prevent it?.
It does seem there are some rather toothy warning signs regarding trespassing.

I’m really just interested as to the legality of the issue. I’m sure every French citizen has legal right to unencumbered enjoyment of a few meters of the littoral . . . but do private property owners have legal obligations to provide access to landlocked littoral ?

It does seem there are some rather toothy warning signs regarding trespassing.

I’m really just interested as to the legality of the issue. I’m sure every French citizen has legal right to unencumbered enjoyment of a few meters of the littoral . . . but do private property owners have legal obligations to provide access to landlocked littoral ?

the hike path to Colombier is island property, so you have access to the beach by foot.. the no trespassing signs are to keep anyone from wandering off the path onto private land.

the hike path to Colombier is island property, so you have access to the beach by foot.. the no trespassing signs are to keep anyone from wandering off the path onto private land.

right. I wasn’t referring to l’anse de colombier. I was referring to l’anse gros jean.

right. I wasn’t referring to l’anse de colombier. I was referring to l’anse gros jean.

I looked at my maps and discovered that I was thinking of Gascon, not Gros Jean. I hiked down to Gascon maybe 25 years ago, using the private road for much of the way. I've been within spitting distance of Gros Jean, Gascon, and Reine by boat, being very careful of the depth. (DO NOT try to go by boat from Gros Jean to Columbier by taking the short cut between the rocks. Go outside, around all of the rocks.) There is really nothing to recommend any of the three, Reine, Gascon, or Gros Jean, other than as Bucket List items. If you go, bring a trash bag, as I'm sure that there's still plenty of trash which has washed up there.

all of this geography talk prompted me to bone up and make sure I was clear on the distinctions between anse, baie, rade, and port.

curious on a little island that a few of the anse names are confusingly similar: la petite anse and les petites anses; l'anse à galets and l'anse de petit galet and l'anse de grand galet

safer talking about nerdy geography than nerdy covid stats :nerd: