Le Guanahani - Reopens Spring 2021, Now Affiliated With Rosewood Hotels

KevinS

Senior Insider
From FB:

8C023BD5-F120-4A9E-A460-F258742FB0BF.jpeg

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/le-guanahani

Very impressive!

The management credentials of Le Guanahani, Le Sereno, Le Barthelemy, Le Toiny, Le Carl Gustaf, Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc, Christopher, and Villa Marie are quite staggering . . . and it's amazing that such a small island can sustain nine uberstylish, world-class hotels.

In offering this observation, let me add that I understand that Hotel Manapany, like the others I've mentioned, also is a five star SBH hotel, but I'm not acquainted with managers at the property, as I am at the others. I also would say that Le Village, a four star hotel, is exquisite in so many respects . . . most especially in maintaining a distinctive sense of old-style, unspoiled St. Barths.

Very impressive!

The management credentials of Le Guanahani, Le Sereno, Le Barthelemy, Le Toiny, Le Carl Gustaf, Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc, Christopher, and Villa Marie are quite staggering . . . and it's amazing that such a small island can sustain nine uberstylish, world-class hotels.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/b...ewood-hotel-group-continues-global-expansion/

Le Guanahani acquirer, Hong Kong-based Rosewood Hotel Group, expands globally

Somewhere in Ptown a head is exploding

Very interesting article, Cass. Rosewood seems to be pursuing an expansion plan like that adopted by Marriott for its Ritz Carlton brand.

Dennis, I think our friend, the soon-to-be-all-time-posting champion, might know a thing or two about Rosewood’s origins in the Big Hair capitol of Texas. :cool:

Kevin, I just got this and was going to post but I was writing to Amy and you beat me to it! I don't know if it is good news with Rosewood or bad because I loved the local flavor of our second home at Le Guanahani, so I guess we will see what it is like. I hate when the atmosphere of a place you loved changes but of course, over the years, there have been remodels there, too, and we loved it, so I guess we go with the flow! I first sent the email I got to my travel agent so we can get on it fast when they open for reservations but it looks like anyone who had hopes for the Fall will be out of luck. What a project they must have had, from the ground up. It will surely be different with the morning buffet breakfast likely being gone, and the Hermès and then Clarins toiletries perhaps different, which were a lovely part of the experience. Keeping my fingers crossed they keep Martein, our manager, and that our dear chef, Philippe, might still be sticking around for the next iteration. It does sound a bit "proprietary", I know, but those people are very important to us and we miss them. Onward and upward in the "new normal"! I can't wait until we can be there....

A bit more detail in an email I just received

Dear Valued Partners,

I am excited to inform you of a change in management and a very bright future ahead for Le Guanahani. Effective June 23, 2020, the prestigious ultra-luxury hotel company Rosewood Hotels & Resorts has assumed management of our legendary St. Barth retreat, which will reopen in Spring 2021 as Rosewood Le Guanahani St. Barth.

The rebranding heralds the dawn of a new era for our iconic property, which is undergoing an extensive renovation following its closure in late Summer 2017 due to the effects of Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Following an extensive rebuild, Rosewood Le Guanahani St. Barth will maintain the unique spirit of the resort while perfectly embodying the Rosewood philosophy of A Sense of Place®, with local sensibilities and reflecting the beauty of our waterfront location and the island around us to inspire our many onsite offerings.

Those include a secluded setting on a private peninsula overlooking the incredible beaches of Marigot Bay and Grand Cul-de Sac; stunning architecture by David M. Schwarz Architects and only-of-its-kind interior design by Luis Pons Design Lab; and evocation of the rich and authentic French Caribbean heritage of St. Barth through a signature colorful style highlighted by hues of turquoise inspired by the crystal blue Caribbean, the yellow of the tropical sun, and lavender as a nod to the South of France.

The reopening will debut the renovation of all 66 guestrooms, suites and villas, many with new private pools. Updated amenities will include a distinct beachfront dining concept and new ocean-facing pool, Rosewood Explorers children’s club, fitness center, tennis court, dedicated event spaces, and Sense, A Rosewood Spa. New guest programs and services are currently in development as well and will be shared later this year.

Bookings will be available for Spring 2021 beginning this October. If you’d like to find out more about the resort experience set to unfold along shores, I encourage you to connect with our team at the resort direct on +590 590 52 9000 or Toll Free from USA +1 800 216 3774 or France 08 05 96 57 90.

This is an extraordinary opportunity for the Le Guanahani team to join Rosewood’s global network and stand alongside sister properties such as the iconic Hôtel de Crillon, A Rosewood Hotel in Paris, Las Ventanas al Paraíso in Los Cabos and The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, in New York City and the soon to be open Rosewood Sao Paulo in Brasil. This marks for me the return to the Rosewood Family having held similar positions at Rosewood Little Dix Bay and las Ventanas al Paraiso. We are delighted to launch a new chapter of Le Guanahani’s storied legacy with Rosewood by our side. To learn more about Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, please click www.rosewoodhotels.com.

I thank you for your continued support and will keep you informed of ongoing developments. I am personally looking forward to welcoming you, your clients and your readers to experience our jewel in the Caribbean at Rosewood Le Guanahani St. Barth in 2021.

Sincerely,
Martein van Wagenberg
Managing Director

Image 6-23-20 at 3.03 PM.jpeg

That was the email I got, too. I am happy to see it, JEK����. I’m not getting any younger������....

private peninsula ?
all beaches here are open to the public, although not all the hotels would like you to think so....

so excited for Rosewood. Love the brand and excited about Rosewood elite amenities!
It's been my experience that Rosewood honors providing unique destinations/resorts and I'm confident they will do a great job here as well.

If Cheval Blanc and Eden Rock are benchmarks, do we think prices at Guanahani will increase considerably to accommodate the costs of an outside management company?

private peninsula ?
all beaches here are open to the public, although not all the hotels would like you to think so....

I take your point, and you're correct, of course, but I'm not certain (I don't recall) if the two plage sides of the little isthmus are accessible by land without traversing the hotel's private property ???
By sea is possible, of course.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 3.16.25 PM.png

we have walked that way. maybe com imposed upon them to provide access across property to that side of the isthmus? the corally side :nerd:

BA033A5B-C930-42A9-86A3-5BCC0E4B034C.jpeg

That access has been there since at least 1990 when we first stayed there. Steep rocky "steps" down to the beach.

A very famous family owns (owned) a teak villa on that beach. Buried in the article, but I love how the article starts: "Thirty years ago, when I first visited St.Barth’s, it was already ruined, I was assured."

I take your point, and you're correct, of course, but I'm not certain (I don't recall) if the two plage sides of the little isthmus are accessible by land without traversing the hotel's private property ???
By sea is possible, of course.

View attachment 53354

In your photo, Cass . . . at bottom left, you can see Villa CEC location. We have walked from there over to & through Guanahani to the beach on various occasions without anyone at the Hotel questioning us. I know that others in the 'hood do the same thing, and I have the impression that Hotel management is used to having "visitors."

In your photo, Cass . . . at bottom left, you can see Villa CEC location. We have walked from there over to & through Guanahani to the beach on various occasions without anyone at the Hotel questioning us. I know that others in the 'hood do the same thing, and I have the impression that Hotel management is used to having "visitors."

Hey Dennis, yes, your hood ! My only point/question was this: is a property owner obliged to provide access to a landlocked beach? I don't think so, but not sure. For example,

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.13.29 PM.png

Are the Rockefeller estate owners obliged to provide land access to la plage de l'Anse Gros Jean ?