St. Barthelemy French Immersion for 11 year old

smiller

Does anyone have information or experience on taking 6 months - 1 year living in St. Barths, specifically to educate their children? I'm researching the idea of moving to St. Barths for a year so that our son can take a year in french immersion school. We are US citizens. I know people who have done this in Costa Rica for Spanish. I have spoken to my son in french since he was 11 months old, but sadly let it lapse when he started 2nd grade here in US. I'd like to jumpstart again. Thank you in advance for any information or places of contact to investigate.

There are restrictions on staying on the island long term for U.S. Citizens. Check it out first.

Yes but to put a child in school you might have to prove residency, so I'd head to your closest French Embassy or Consulate and apply for a long-term visa.
And yes there are tourists who stay longer, but one never knows if the gov't or gendarmes will start asking questions so if I had kids in school, I'd do it the correct way...
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa

do you have a place to live already secured?

Thank you elgreaux. This is helpful information and I've started to research. Will start the visa process and I am now checking on places to live. This seems a little more challenging.

If the student is registered with an online teaching program, he can come and study at Réussite in Gustavia from Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and be immersed in a French speaking environment, while following his American curriculum.

May I ask how old is your son ? I had been living in SBH for several years with 3 little girls, attending school there. I might have some advices about what would certainly a great and friendly experience ... if you can secure an official and legal stay there.

May I ask how old is your son ? I had been living in SBH for several years with 3 little girls, attending school there. I might have some advices about what would certainly a great and friendly experience ... if you can secure an official and legal stay there.

I would like to know more about this option. My family will be relocating October - December to the island to our family home. Our children are 3,5,7. Oldest are in grade K and 2nd.

Brian