As of June 22 the island is open

andynap

Senior Insider
With restrictions

F7AD3678-8C97-4BE0-A571-AB300CFB7CCA.jpeg

Thank you Andy for sharing the President's letter. Our family will patiently await for the letter that states the Island is open without RESTRICTIONS. Your mileage may vary.

Hmm....interesting. I wonder what happens if you test positive on day 7 - regardless of how many days you are staying.

I fear restrictions may be a way of life for the near future no matter where we live or wish to be.

As welcome as this news is, for most people SBH opening is only half of the equation. SXM, where most people connect to SBH, has yet to announce an opening date.

For those who travel through SJU on Tradewind, travel may be easier. I haven't looked at Tradewind yet.

Hmm....interesting. I wonder what happens if you test positive on day 7 - regardless of how many days you are staying.

M. Magras, per Le Journal, has previously been google translated stating:

"If a passenger tests positive on arrival, he must be confined to his villa or hotel or to the accommodation center that we made available to the ARS from the start of the epidemic. That said, the Collectivité is not intending to interfere in medical practices. The tests and the follow-up are the responsibility of healthcare professionals."

It seems reasonable to believe that a positive test on day 7 would be handled similarly. I do not know if hotels' and villas' plans and attitudes on dealing with a COVID positive client have been addressed.

In any event, regarding a positive test while traveling, it's worth remembering that if symptoms do develop, this will typically follow a 3-7 (median:4) day lag from the positive test and these who develop severe disease do so about 1 week after symptoms first appear. The discontinuation of precautions in positive individuals has followed time- and test-based strategies with evolving recommendations (current CDC here) that can vary by location.

This just does not seem feasible in a practical sense to me. Three days prior to travel a tourist will have paid in full for a villa or will have a committed hotel room bill, not to mention flight costs. Will they be willing to risk losing that money in the case that they test positive for coved-19 required test administered 3 days before they are supposed to leave? The letter is so very cheery with it's "We look forward to seeing you" but in a very real practical sense, the island is not truly open until there are no restrictions.

This just does not seem feasible in a practical sense to me. Three days prior to travel a tourist will have paid in full for a villa or will have a committed hotel room bill, not to mention flight costs. Will they be willing to risk losing that money in the case that they test positive for coved-19 required test administered 3 days before they are supposed to leave? The letter is so very cheery with it's "We look forward to seeing you" but in a very real practical sense, the island is not truly open until there are no restrictions.
We agree with you completely. We have postponed until April of 2021. We will not travel until the island is completly open.

Le Toiny seems to think the opening is on the 15th. Note attached sanitary pdf they linked. New procedures on room turnover and other details.

I wonder how (if) sanitary procedures for housing for seasonal workers will be addressed... communal and other shared housing are real vulnerabilities in regard to keeping COVID under control, particularly if the housed individuals come and/or are being exposed to those from the COVID world... the flagrant examples of le logement indécent that occasionally come to light would, of course, be most highly worrisome and in need of reinforced hygienic measures...

Entire Bahamas opens on July 1, their Phase 2, with NO Covid-19 testing required, No Quarantine. However, prior to arrival, you must submit an electronic health declaration form, very simple.

Oh what great news... I also think the restrictions are a bit much but I will take them to get a two week vacation. I’m assuming we will have to go to the hospital for the second test?

Belinda, the tests are done at the local independent lab. It is located on La Pointe in Gustavia, on Rue de St Thomas. From La Poste, follow the road along the harbor, past the Hotel Presquille. When you turn to the left at the Presquille and the corner bar there, heading towards La Guerite, Rue de St Thomas will be the second street on the left, just after Segeco, and across from Ocean Must. You'll see a tent set up across the street from the lab. An appointment is probably necessary, and you will likely be required to pay for the test.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for sharing this info. We actually just booked our flight for February going to SXM (return flights are not available yet). The only reason I booked it was that it is fully refundable (we are using points) and I have a feeling airfare prices will skyrocket. Our accommodations and air to SBH has not been booked yet as we were waiting to hear what the protocol would be. While, I totally understand this policy it is much to risky for us to book our accommodations. Having to possibly cancel 2-3 days before arrival is terrifying. As far as I know, insurance will not cover Covid. The uncertainty is driving me bonkers!

You could just quarantine for a couple of weeks before the trip. Like expectant mothers are doing these crazy days!

Well if it’s not one thing its another. Iv been calling all the testing centers near me (in PA) to try and book in for Covid testing 3 days before our flight and get the results in time. Only to find it takes minimum 5 days for results and they can’t guarantee I will get an appointment 3 days prior.... omg this trip has certainly been a challenge to re organize. I’m wondering how long it takes to get the results if I wait till I’m on the island? Anyone have any idea?