As of June 22 the island is open

False positives with PCR testing pose a potential problem. NPR, using a Santa Fe favorite (minus the frites) explains:

What Mussels Can Teach Us About False Positive COVID-19 Tests

The above linked NPR discussion and its basis (a paper that is pre-print at present) suggest that up to 2% - 3% of negative samples test positive in real world clinical practice.

An unfortunate trip cancellation or an island quarantine would be among the many ramifications of a false positive result.

A strategy of doing a second test to verify a positive result would be undermined by the studies that have documented the more common problem of false negative results and the known lag between testing positive and developing symptoms...

Belinda, the tests are done at the local independent lab. It is located on La Pointe in Gustavia, on Rue de St Thomas. From La Poste, follow the road along the harbor, past the Hotel Presquille. When you turn to the left at the Presquille and the corner bar there, heading towards La Guerite, Rue de St Thomas will be the second street on the left, just after Segeco, and across from Ocean Must. You'll see a tent set up across the street from the lab. An appointment is probably necessary, and you will likely be required to pay for the test.

View attachment 52981

Actually at the moment there is a drive-by testing place set up on the street not far from where Kevin has indicated on the map in Gustavia, you can't miss it as you drive to the Hotel de la Collectivité... not sure about the cost but I will ask...

Covid test.jpg

Yes. Turn left at La Guerite and this will be on your right... the medical lab would be on the left in the building near villa victoria furniture store.

Oh thank you Ellen, I think unless by some miracle I can get a test here and the results in time that we will wait to get it done on the island. I wonder also how long the results take to get as they are requiring us to stay in the villa until they come through. Not sure how they police that though and we have dinner reservations the night we land. Lol talk about living on the edge ha ha

"do those other islands (Martinique & Guadeloupe) offer a glimpse of the future here, do we think? new cases imported by travelers? "
It would seem the most effective way to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 onto St. Barths would be:
#1 - Do not allow any visitors onto the Island until all the St. Barths residents could be vaccinated against
SARS-CoV-2.
#2 - Upon completion of all St. Barths residents being vaccinated; close the St. Barths borders permanently to any visitors since the vaccination is not 100% reliable.

#3 - Would create a more quiet Island by virtue of reduced construction requirements, improve the natural environment via less contamination of the waters and reefs. Reduced pollution since less traffic.
#4 - Eliminate the need for expansion of the Power Plant, also, less pollution via lower electrical demands.
#5 - Eliminate the need for additional staff housing to accommodate seasonal employees.
#6 - That should do it!

Such a plan, Bob! You forgot to mention that Wimco could save money with disappearance of the Forum!

So many people are freaked out by the WuFlu. Dennis and John mentioned WIMCO, wonder how WIMCO feels about opening St. Barths to tourism with or without restrictions. Many have displayed their viewpoints on the Forum, whereby, they want the Island closed and no risk in spread of WuFlu.
I was providing a solution for those whom are extremely afraid. Differing viewpoints for discussion, polar opposites. It will be difficult to find compromise that everyone is in agreement.

So many people are freaked out by the WuFlu. Dennis and John mentioned WIMCO, wonder how WIMCO feels about opening St. Barths to tourism with or without restrictions. Many have displayed their viewpoints on the Forum, whereby, they want the Island closed and no risk in spread of WuFlu.
I was providing a solution for those whom are extremely afraid. Differing viewpoints for discussion, polar opposites. It will be difficult to find compromise that everyone is in agreement.
:up:

. . . Dennis and John mentioned WIMCO, wonder how WIMCO feels about opening St. Barths to tourism with or without restrictions. . . .[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
WIMCO actually has proposed a new set of house cleaning protocols to Villa owners which conform to requirements of both the CDC and Service Sanitaires of France. They are intended to offer assurance to WIMCO guests that the Company and its Villa owners are seeking to provide clean and safe places to vacation. Without going through through the entire list of proposed standards, suffice it to say that the list comprehensively addresses availability of sanitizers to arriving guests, disinfecting of luggage before it goes inside a Villa, Personal Protection Equipment for cleaning people & third party servicers, focused cleaning in particularly sensitive high-traffic / "high-touch" areas (such as kitchens, bathrooms, phones), proper sanitizing of rags and other cleaning items, and checkout cleaning.

I think that WIMCO has done a great job of proactively anticipating and preparing for Covid-related concerns of Clients with respect to Villa sanitation issues.

Great news Dennis, I am sure that WIMCO is safely preparing their Villa's well on St. Barths.
When do the tourists arrive to fill those Villa's? Or, are tourists looking at other destinations? Remember, a short while ago, WIMCO recommended St. John, many on this Forum received the WIMCO St. John email. I assume, that also goes for St. Thomas and St. Croix. Very shortly, two weeks time, the entire Bahamas Island's chains open without Restrictions to tourists. Which other Caribbean Islands are next to align with the USVI and Bahamas without Restrictions? I am not saying that is a good thing, just the facts as presented.
I can not fathom spending approximately $12,000.00 for a week in St. Barths; Villa Rental,International Airline flights, Domestic flights or Ferry, Car rental, Meals, Shopping, Tips, etc., probably more than that, if I am honest with myself, to have the trip go Bust for a variety of potential issues upon arrival or non-arrival.
Is it not all about minimizing the RISK?

. . . Is it not all about minimizing the RISK?
Agree, Bob . . . the question of traveling to SBH seems largely to be about RISK. In this regard, we have scheduled Villa guests who have confirmed plans to arrive in August and September, and I'm anticipating returning to the island before then in order to do a personal assessment of the situation -- including conditions at Villa CEC. With regard to the expense of travel, I believe that tickets that can be changed without penalty and a willingness of most Villa owners to accommodate needed scheduling changes (with re-bookings at later times) offer substantial protection. The other principal risk consideration, which I have discussed at length with several of my various doctors, is health matters. Fortunately, with admonitions about care and exercise of caution, I have a "green light" to go to SBH -- subject to Covid testing before departure, use of gloves, sanitizers, & masks, etc.. Same things that I have been doing at home.

As I see the situation, the greatest vulnerability in risk will be in airports and on planes, and I expect to be super-diligent then.

Dennis..I agree and urge an abundance of care on each leg of the trip..planes, seating anywhere, waiting areas, baggage claim, bathrooms.

Dennis, you are a very kind gentleman. You care for your guests extremely well, that is a FACT. That is not the case of every Villa Owner on St. Barths. I have read on this Forum, whereby, some guests have been forced to cancel and the Villa Owner says "too bad, so sad". Thems the breaks, as they say.
Furthermore, I understand Airlines allowing change of tickets into the future, without penalty. What if that same airline which one was intending to fly in the future with their change ticket, goes bankrupt. It does happen, it has happened in the past. There is no guarantee, especially now with so many companies facing financial distress for a multitude of reason.
I know this WuFlu Pandemic has affected some Villa Owners, whom I know, with a Villa or Villa's on the Island, in a negative financial way. Fact is, It hurts!

Thank you John for posting WIMCO's policy. So, a newly arriving guest may not even get the Villa they rented if the prior guest tested Positive and was mandated to stay in that same Villa for 14-days or until they tested Negative. If I had my heart set on a special Villa which I rented, that sure would become a huge disappointment. I wonder what other Villa Owners are required to do under St. Barths law, if a tourist rents directly from the Villa Owner and not through WIMCO? So many questions, so many RISKS!

Geez...I’m usually only stressed about flight delays and connections leading up to the trip. This adds a whole new dimension of worry.

The good news is that no one is fretting over carry on vs. checked baggage presently!