SXM earliest to open is 7/1

andynap

Senior Insider
631CD65E-E901-4DD8-81A5-C6BC76289A54.jpeg
F1F2A5A2-EB09-4605-98A9-8D8AEDC45F75.png

I just received an email from WIMCO. Script copy and paste below. I did not even have to surf, it was emailed directly from WIMCO.
"St. John is ready for you! A haven in the US Virgin Islands, it officially opened its border to tourists on June 1. While social distancing measures remain in effect, there is no quarantine required. Whether hiking in the National Park or watching the sun set over Cruz Bay, this tiny island has a whole lot to enjoy."

I just received an email from WIMCO. Script copy and paste below. I did not even have to surf, it was emailed directly from WIMCO.
"St. John is ready for you! A haven in the US Virgin Islands, it officially opened its border to tourists on June 1. While social distancing measures remain in effect, there is no quarantine required. Whether hiking in the National Park or watching the sun set over Cruz Bay, this tiny island has a whole lot to enjoy."

Got that as well.

I would guess many of us got that same email today. We honeymooned in the USVI and even tried another visit several decades later.

If I was American with a strong “island call” right now, I would definitely look at different options such as St. John (the best of the USVI by far). Most other Caribbean islands are currently very difficult to reach as a tourist. We want easy. Not complicated.

WIMCO is not only promoting SBH. The agency offers many other destinations and as a travel company they must bet on what’s readily available to sustain business. St. Barth still closed? All right, let’s focus on St. John for now until the French authorities get their act together and reopen the borders. 100% understandable.

As far as the reopening of SXM airport is concerned: lots and lots of endless discussions and meetings (the St. Maarten authorities LOVE meetings, it’s cultural), and at the very end very slow decision processes. (They have that in common with the French). Some airlines had receive contradictory information about the opening date and some of them (American, Delta, JetBlue..) started to sell seats for some dates in June. What a mess!

Let’s see what June 15th will bring. There will be more meetings, more talks, more discussions.... until we see that airport fully reopening.