Numba Tree

KevinS

Senior Insider
It's been a few weeks since I posted a memory of SBH. This is a memory from many years ago. I may have posted it way back then, but I'm not finding it through the Search function. This is the story of Numba Tree.

At least once on each trip to SBH I go to Le Select for a “Cheeseburger et Pomme Frites”, or a Cheeseburger and French Fries in English. Le Select is a corner bar with an outside patio, and a grill at the end of the patio where you can get burgers and fries. Nothing fancy, and smoking is allowed.

Things are pretty much the same today as they were then. There was no table service – you went to the bar window to order drinks, and you went to the grill to order food. The window opens into the bar and the bartender. The grill is staffed by a line cook and a cashier. The cashier takes your order, and at that time gave you a wooden square with a number on it. When your food was ready the cashier called out your number over a public address system. When you heard your number you would return to the grill, return your number, pay for your food, and go back to your table to eat. It’s a simple system, and it worked well.

There has never been any real difference in the numbers – they’re just numbers, and they’re given out in no particular order. But, for me, there was something special about being Number 3 at Le Select. The cashier at that time was fluently bilingual in French and English, but spoke English with a strong West Indian accent which I found to be very pleasing.

When my order was ready, and she called out “Numba Tree, Numba Tree, Numero Trois, Numero Trois” I smiled… my heart melted a little bit at the sound of her voice and accent… and I went get my food…

And that’s the story of “Numba Tree”.

… my heart melted a little bit at the sound of her voice and accent… And that’s the story of “Numba Tree”.

Three thinkers were thinking how did the thousand thieves go through there... thanks for sharing your lost (I presume) opportunity to serve as Professor Higgins* and provide some tongue-twisting tutelage... and move on to lesson 2 - three squirrels in the tree...

Dental (or interdental) fricatives, spoken with the tongue between the upper and lower teeth, occur in fewer than 10% of languages but, somewhat interestingly, many common English words contain one. French is said not to have them but I hear a suggestion of one in some words (e.g., théâtre).

*Although I prefer Julie's complete Eliza, this has only audio and stills - nothing against Audrey and "ghost singer" Marni in the prior clip though...

Thank you for this Izzy. Does anyone know who replaced her in the original Broadway cast? I am pretty sure that Edward Mulhare replaced Rex Harrison.

Thanks Kevin for a great story and great memories. 1st time Cheryl and I went to St. Barth we had to go and visit Le Select the restaurant that all the locals said was a must visit. Immediately we were swept up in the casual Island experience. While we had to cancel this year we look forward to next year with anticipation. Keep these stories coming. They warm my heart on a chilly Long Island morning

Thank you for this Izzy. Does anyone know who replaced her in the original Broadway cast? I am pretty sure that Edward Mulhare replaced Rex Harrison.

Hint: someone who was truly scrumptious replaced Julie Andrews.
Answer: biography here

More Broadway trivia to return to "Numba Tree": Following three British Eliza's (Pamela Charles was #3), who was the first American to play the role regularly on Broadway?
Answer: Find out by playing along with panelists Tom Poston, Betty White, and Johnny Carson.

I remember those little yellow (I believe) numbered blocks and the voice of the number-caller, Kev; is she the one who passed away a few years ago? I also recall a vibrant thread on this forum when the blocks were replaced with technology.

Thanks for the smile-inducing reminder of simpler times.

Thanks Izzy..you once again have come through for me. To tell the truth, I could not have come up with Margot Moser if my life depended on it.

Even my very posh friends from Trinidad say "tree" for three, it's the way they learn it in school, as Izzy says very few languages that that "th" sound.. even Théatre in french has the hard T, no hint of an H... it's more like tay-atre.... like a cup of tay (thé) or tea...which is also why a lot of French speaking people say muzzer & bruzzer, etc..

love Kevin's numba tree story!

Correct. In fact, the "h" in French is a silent letter (with a few exceptions). It is actually very difficult for us to pronounce the "th". We make fun of ourselves about it.... Many locals learnt West Indian English, not Shakespeare's English. It has its own charm. Feeling irie.

I remember those little yellow (I believe) numbered blocks and the voice of the number-caller, Kev; is she the one who passed away a few years ago? I also recall a vibrant thread on this forum when the blocks were replaced with technology.

Thanks for the smile-inducing reminder of simpler times.

No, the person you are referring to was Nadia. The Numba Tree woman is a different person.