Thread: Winair the airline that does NOT HAVE A HEART

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 NYC Posts: 1,394

Winair the airline that does NOT HAVE A HEART

As many airlines rush to give customer service Winair has decided to enforce their NO CANCELLATION POLICY
    I was happy to read that other SBH airlines that serviced us from SXM to SBH have offered a full (95%) of the value if cancellation because of virus
    while Winair has offered a full refund voucher for future travel their PR department should look how they are viewed by the general public...a company WITHOUT A HEART
    I thought you all should know this before you book your next flight to the island
    looking forward to December
    Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet it's the youngest you will ever be......so........ENJOY THE DAY

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,341

Re: Winair the airline that does NOT HAVE A HEART

Henry and Carole, I know how sad you are at having to skip your July visit. You will be missed. I will definitely think of you IN ALL THE OLD FAMILIAR PLACES.

HUGS
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 1,015

Quote Originally Posted by soyabeans View Post
    As many airlines rush to give customer service Winair has decided to enforce their NO CANCELLATION POLICY
    I was happy to read that other SBH airlines that serviced us from SXM to SBH have offered a full (95%) of the value if cancellation because of virus
    while Winair has offered a full refund voucher for future travel their PR department should look how they are viewed by the general public...a company WITHOUT A HEART
    I thought you all should know this before you book your next flight to the island
    looking forward to December

Feeling your pain since I have been wrangling again today with Air Canada about our one way tix in biz class from Vancouver to Toronto then in coach, 1 class Rouge flight op by AC to Savannah in June...our cruise cancelled for 2nd time that was to end in Vancouver. AC has suspended flights to SAV as well as many other places. AC in one day sent me 3 emails...1 for new seats, 1 for flight time change & 1 for flight cancelled. Bottom line AC left us in Toronto, no re-accomodation to get back to SAV & still won't give refund since non refundable tickets...so get vouchers instead good for up to 2 yrs. Back to watching the fidgety 'gator in yard 2 houses away, a good 9 ft.

I understand your frustration, and watch out for that gator
    Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet it's the youngest you will ever be......so........ENJOY THE DAY

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,527

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately many airlines are in critical situations right now, running out of cash and facing bankruptcy. Their strict cancellation policy might be explained by the fact that they simply don't have the cash to refund all customers. It really depends on how solid they are financially AND whether the airline in question has received state aid or not.

Most large carriers have asked their government for state aid (including AA which asked for $12bn to the US government). I believe that WINAIR, a SXM-based airline, did not get support from the St Maarten government, which itself is completely broke. Amsterdam just provided local support to the country of St. Maarten.

Regarding the "other" carrier between SXM and SBH, the French government is offering several incentives to assist businesses, including social and fiscal benefits. Also, all French businesses (including those based in SBH) are entitled to receive cash revenues provided directly by the government on a monthly basis, starting March 2020. Additionally, all employees who are currently not working, are paid by the government up to 80% of their salary ("unemployment benefits").

Finally, all commercial rents due by the businesses established at SBH airport have been cancelled during the crisis. This includes those for the local airline. This is a decision made by the Collectivité during a recent council.

So to summarize, costs for the locally-based airline have been reduced to a minimum:

- no commercial lease to pay for businesses established at the airport (including offices, hangars...)
    - employees are paid by the government
    - special tax incentives
    - monthly cash income paid by the government directly to the airline's bank account by the government every month

It is a lot easier to be generous under these conditions.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,534

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately many airlines are in critical situations right now, running out of cash and facing bankruptcy. Their strict cancellation policy might be explained by the fact that they simply don't have the cash to refund all customers. It really depends on how solid they are financially AND whether the airline in question has received state aid or not.

Most large carriers have asked their government for state aid (including AA which asked for $12bn to the US government). I believe that WINAIR, a SXM-based airline, did not get support from the St Maarten government, which itself is completely broke. Amsterdam just provided local support to the country of St. Maarten.

Regarding the "other" carrier between SXM and SBH, the French government is offering several incentives to assist businesses, including social and fiscal benefits. Also, all French businesses (including those based in SBH) are entitled to receive cash revenues provided directly by the government on a monthly basis, starting March 2020. Additionally, all employees who are currently not working, are paid by the government up to 80% of their salary ("unemployment benefits").

Finally, all commercial rents due by the businesses established at SBH airport have been cancelled during the crisis. This includes those for the local airline. This is a decision made by the Collectivité during a recent council.

So to summarize, costs for the locally-based airline have been reduced to a minimum:

- no commercial lease to pay for businesses established at the airport (including offices, hangars...)
    - employees are paid by the government
    - special tax incentives
    - monthly cash income paid by the government directly to the airline's bank account by the government every month

It is a lot easier to be generous under these conditions.
    These are the forms you can fill out to get economic aid in St Barth...
    https://formulaires.impots.gouv.fr/f...Ops1OpXVRkDfBs

https://formulaires.impots.gouv.fr/f...sieFormulaire?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 919

Great information. Stay safe.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 2,124

Someday they will run out of spending other peoples money.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,093

I hope Tradewinds, SBC, and Les Ilets stick around, because they have lots of lots of my money

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 2,124

I'm with you Eve, all of the above have lots of my money, as well as, lets not forget to mention United Airlines.

We got full refund from American for our June trip..they had changed our non stops to direct flights which added more than 4 hour hours to our travel time each way....that warranted a full refund...
    With Tradewind we just have credit for future travel which we will use as soon as we can..
    Steve and Aimee

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,341

Aimee, that seems to have worked out well. Nicely played.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

What started this thread was Phil and others talking about refunds, I in fact received a full refund from AA, then my rude awakening that not all airlines are the same,
    Winair did give mea one year voucher that i can use on my next trip
    (if anyone. wants a voucher at a discount PM me)
    my next trip will be on tradewinds or any other island Airline that’s how mad i am
    I’M ALSO MADTHAT WE CANNOT CELEBRATE CAROLE AND PHILS BIRTHDAY IN JULY

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,155

"I’M ALSO MAD THAT WE CANNOT CELEBRATE CAROLE AND PHILS BIRTHDAY IN JULY[/QUOTE]"

As am I!!!

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,217

Quote Originally Posted by phil62 View Post
    "I’M ALSO MAD THAT WE CANNOT CELEBRATE CAROLE AND PHILS BIRTHDAY IN JULY
    "

As am I!!!

Phil[/QUOTE]

Moi aussi, mes amis.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,093

Quote Originally Posted by dadto6 View Post
    I'm with you Eve, all of the above have lots of my money, as well as, lets not forget to mention United Airlines.
    got my money back from Jet Blue. But still waiting for my points back