Winair the airline that does NOT HAVE A HEART

soyabeans

Senior Insider
As many airlines rush to give customer service Winair has decided to enforce their NO CANCELLATION POLICY
I was happy to read that other SBH airlines that serviced us from SXM to SBH have offered a full (95%) of the value if cancellation because of virus
while Winair has offered a full refund voucher for future travel their PR department should look how they are viewed by the general public...a company WITHOUT A HEART
I thought you all should know this before you book your next flight to the island :sad1:
looking forward to December:D

Henry and Carole, I know how sad you are at having to skip your July visit. You will be missed. I will definitely think of you IN ALL THE OLD FAMILIAR PLACES.

HUGS

As many airlines rush to give customer service Winair has decided to enforce their NO CANCELLATION POLICY
I was happy to read that other SBH airlines that serviced us from SXM to SBH have offered a full (95%) of the value if cancellation because of virus
while Winair has offered a full refund voucher for future travel their PR department should look how they are viewed by the general public...a company WITHOUT A HEART
I thought you all should know this before you book your next flight to the island :sad1:
looking forward to December:D

Feeling your pain since I have been wrangling again today with Air Canada about our one way tix in biz class from Vancouver to Toronto then in coach, 1 class Rouge flight op by AC to Savannah in June...our cruise cancelled for 2nd time that was to end in Vancouver. AC has suspended flights to SAV as well as many other places. AC in one day sent me 3 emails...1 for new seats, 1 for flight time change & 1 for flight cancelled. Bottom line AC left us in Toronto, no re-accomodation to get back to SAV & still won't give refund since non refundable tickets...so get vouchers instead good for up to 2 yrs. Back to watching the fidgety 'gator in yard 2 houses away, a good 9 ft.

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately many airlines are in critical situations right now, running out of cash and facing bankruptcy. Their strict cancellation policy might be explained by the fact that they simply don't have the cash to refund all customers. It really depends on how solid they are financially AND whether the airline in question has received state aid or not.

Most large carriers have asked their government for state aid (including AA which asked for $12bn to the US government). I believe that WINAIR, a SXM-based airline, did not get support from the St Maarten government, which itself is completely broke. Amsterdam just provided local support to the country of St. Maarten.

Regarding the "other" carrier between SXM and SBH, the French government is offering several incentives to assist businesses, including social and fiscal benefits. Also, all French businesses (including those based in SBH) are entitled to receive cash revenues provided directly by the government on a monthly basis, starting March 2020. Additionally, all employees who are currently not working, are paid by the government up to 80% of their salary ("unemployment benefits").

Finally, all commercial rents due by the businesses established at SBH airport have been cancelled during the crisis. This includes those for the local airline. This is a decision made by the Collectivité during a recent council.

So to summarize, costs for the locally-based airline have been reduced to a minimum:

- no commercial lease to pay for businesses established at the airport (including offices, hangars...)
- employees are paid by the government
- special tax incentives
- monthly cash income paid by the government directly to the airline's bank account by the government every month

It is a lot easier to be generous under these conditions.

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately many airlines are in critical situations right now, running out of cash and facing bankruptcy. Their strict cancellation policy might be explained by the fact that they simply don't have the cash to refund all customers. It really depends on how solid they are financially AND whether the airline in question has received state aid or not.

Most large carriers have asked their government for state aid (including AA which asked for $12bn to the US government). I believe that WINAIR, a SXM-based airline, did not get support from the St Maarten government, which itself is completely broke. Amsterdam just provided local support to the country of St. Maarten.

Regarding the "other" carrier between SXM and SBH, the French government is offering several incentives to assist businesses, including social and fiscal benefits. Also, all French businesses (including those based in SBH) are entitled to receive cash revenues provided directly by the government on a monthly basis, starting March 2020. Additionally, all employees who are currently not working, are paid by the government up to 80% of their salary ("unemployment benefits").

Finally, all commercial rents due by the businesses established at SBH airport have been cancelled during the crisis. This includes those for the local airline. This is a decision made by the Collectivité during a recent council.

So to summarize, costs for the locally-based airline have been reduced to a minimum:

- no commercial lease to pay for businesses established at the airport (including offices, hangars...)
- employees are paid by the government
- special tax incentives
- monthly cash income paid by the government directly to the airline's bank account by the government every month

It is a lot easier to be generous under these conditions.

These are the forms you can fill out to get economic aid in St Barth...
https://formulaires.impots.gouv.fr/...HSCIjt_7VYDQZ5q7m3Sk2-IfNVhmOdxOps1OpXVRkDfBs

https://formulaires.impots.gouv.fr/formulaire/saisieFormulaire?

I hope Tradewinds, SBC, and Les Ilets stick around, because they have lots of lots of my money

I'm with you Eve, all of the above have lots of my money, as well as, lets not forget to mention United Airlines.

We got full refund from American for our June trip..they had changed our non stops to direct flights which added more than 4 hour hours to our travel time each way....that warranted a full refund...
With Tradewind we just have credit for future travel which we will use as soon as we can..

What started this thread was Phil and others talking about refunds, I in fact received a full refund from AA, then my rude awakening that not all airlines are the same,
Winair did give mea one year voucher that i can use on my next trip
(if anyone. wants a voucher at a discount PM me)
my next trip will be on tradewinds or any other island Airline that’s how mad i am
I’M ALSO MADTHAT WE CANNOT CELEBRATE CAROLE AND PHILS BIRTHDAY IN JULY

"I’M ALSO MAD THAT WE CANNOT CELEBRATE CAROLE AND PHILS BIRTHDAY IN JULY[/QUOTE]"

As am I!!!

Phil

How true you are. We also have been refused a refund by Winair. They have not been cooperative at all. I understand they are loosing money by refunding but it hasn’t been caused by clients cancelling for no reason. We have finally got the villa and a flight for July 1st. I pray the boarders are open then or I will have to give up on our trip this year. I can not loose flight money again although Tradewinds have emailed me and said they will fully refund if they cannot fly. Tradewinds flew us out when Irma hit us and we always said we would use them from now on. After this latest episode they will be the only airline we will use to St Bart’s... I will never recommend Winair again... Fingers and toes crossed for boarders opening for our July 1st trip

How true you are. We also have been refused a refund by Winair. They have not been cooperative at all. I understand they are loosing money by refunding but it hasn’t been caused by clients cancelling for no reason. We have finally got the villa and a flight for July 1st. I pray the boarders are open then or I will have to give up on our trip this year. I can not loose flight money again although Tradewinds have emailed me and said they will fully refund if they cannot fly. Tradewinds flew us out when Irma hit us and we always said we would use them from now on. After this latest episode they will be the only airline we will use to St Bart’s... I will never recommend Winair again... Fingers and toes crossed for boarders opening for our July 1st trip

good luck Belinda. hope things work out for you. keep us updated. hopefully you will be in the sun soon!

We can all blame the airlines and their no-refund policies, and also swear not flying with them in the future (me the first). Truth is, what really matters is that they are available and bring us safely to destination. As soon as flights will resume and airports reopen, hundreds will book the most convenient itinerary and cheapest option to reach SBH, regardless of the airline's name. When Winair will offer 15 flights a day between SXM and SBH at $80 one way, people will book them, simple as that. And all the no-refund policies will be long forgotten and ignored.