Protest at Grand Fond this morning

didier

Senior Insider
looks like close to 100 people showed up to stop the concrete trucks from pouring concrete walls. the residents want the traditional walls built back to save their history. thank you Helene Bernier, you organized this and it worked . The group called Mr. Magras but he refused to come out but said he would meet with 3 or 4 persons in his office regarding this matter.

protest.jpg

no masks. I think most people think that we have been confined so long that the virus is not on the island and we don't have the borders open, so no masks unless we go into a store that requires them

...hope the prefect Sylvie Feucher doesn't get any pictures ...

Izzy, I am sure the prefect is well aware of Helene Bernier on facebook and will see these pics which Helene posted this morning.

Also, masks are not a requirement for outdoors,

and if you are referring to social distancing, well this is a protest on a small portion of the road, there is no way to be 6 feet apart from each other here, if that happened the last person would be close to the old rudolph nureyev house. And who decided that the safe distance should be 6 feet anyway, I think whoever started that distance just decided to choose a number, six ft. sounded better than four ft., etc.

From Le Journal, le Shérif responding couple of weeks ago to a letter from COM council members protesting the project:

« S’il y a quelqu’un veut préserver le patrimoine de Saint-Barthélemy c’est bien moi », lançait-il, qualifiant le courrier des élus de « polémique inutile », de « masturbation intellectuelle qui n’a strictement aucun sens. »

The prefecture has also announced that rallies of more than 10 people on the public highways are subject to fines of €135.

Also, restaurants must close by 11PM, and bars by midnight.

On the good news side, boating is allowed tomorrow, within 4nm of the coast, with certain limitations.

I think very few restaurants serve after 10pm here anyway...and it's pretty quiet so they should be okay!

Izzy, I am sure the prefect is well aware of Helene Bernier on facebook and will see these pics which Helene posted this morning.

Also, masks are not a requirement for outdoors,

and if you are referring to social distancing, well this is a protest on a small portion of the road, there is no way to be 6 feet apart from each other here, if that happened the last person would be close to the old rudolph nureyev house. And who decided that the safe distance should be 6 feet anyway, I think whoever started that distance just decided to choose a number, six ft. sounded better than four ft., etc.
You summed it up perfectly.

The information is not very objective ... the current walls will not be "replaced" by concrete walls but will be reconstructed with a similar appearance while being solidified by a concrete core.

i am one of the owners of the walls at grand fond,,,and I know what I am talking about

people protecting that the concrete core will no longer allow the flow of rainwater.....It would be surprising if the project engineer had not foreseen this.

Rosita, what I understand is that only the actual retaining walls, and not simple boundary walls, are the ones being constructed with concrete cores. Then veneered with native rock and coral in a dry stack look to match the traditional walls.

Do I have that right ?

Every properly built retainer wall in the world incorporates features to relieve the water pressure behind it. Weep holes, French drains, etc.
I can't imagine these walls aren't specified accordingly.

the walls will be reconstructed with the same stones except that instead of putting them over the others (as originally) there will be a concrete base and the stones will be solidified by concrete for hardness over time.... this is the decree that the family signed

6 feet is simply the best guess at this time. Science doesn't move in one straight direction. It changes with the current information.

6 feet is simply the best guess at this time. Science doesn't move in one straight direction. It changes with the current information.

I prefer the gov not guess with my life, if they are not absolutely sure, then I think I can make my own decisions.

Where does the six-foot guideline for social distancing come from?

Numerous other pieces about distance (main point of contention is whether 6 feet is enough for COVID), masks, gathering size, indoor/outdoor environments, etc. can be readily googled and found in lay and scientific press. Atul Gawande's recent New Yorker review of what hospitals and other health care centers that, by necessity were not "locked down", have learned and what may now be applied to the "reopening" process included this interesting point that is separate from the science:

"Culture is the fifth, and arguably the most difficult, pillar of a new combination therapy to stop the coronavirus. People tend to focus on two desires: safety and freedom; keep me safe and leave me alone. What Doyle says she needs her people—both staff and residents—to embrace is the desire to keep others safe, not just themselves."

Since I cannot claim sufficient scientific knowledge to critically review the scientific literature, I will leave additional comments to those who are more able, perhaps in the everything else section where such a discussion might better fit.

Regarding the Grand Fond protest, below is the response of M. Magras, (or Bruno skinny as M. Google Translate calls him)....

IMG_8163.jpeg

I prefer the gov not guess with my life, if they are not absolutely sure, then I think I can make my own decisions.
It saddens me that the full extent of how deadly this pandemic is, is not understood. More people will die needlessly. And yes, I am off topic.