reasons for shutting restaurants?

Ah yes, the forgettable Beef Bar. I had definitely forgotten that one.

I don't remember Coté Jardin either.

I recall that the restaurant was called Coté Jardin and the nightclub was called Le Petit Club, before Casa Nikki and all the other versions.

Where L'entracte is now also had a series of other names, including Paquebot and Maris & Fanny, if I remember correctly. The old house replaced by L'Isola also had many names in its checkered past...It was called Captain Monbars in the late 80s for example.

IMG_8151.jpeg

Google translation of Le Journal article:

BARS AND RESTAURANTS: "IT'S A CHANCE AND A PRIVILEGE OF BEING ABLE TO WORK"
by V.A 05/15/2020

Unlike their metropolitan counterparts, restaurants and bars can once again welcome the public today. A relief for professionals, aware of their fortune compared to their metropolitan colleagues. If their customers can return, the economic future remains suspended when the borders are reopened.

Head of L’Esprit, Jean-Claude Dufour is a representative of restaurateurs within CESCE (Economic, Social, Cultural and Environmental Council of Saint-Barthélemy). This week, he resumes service normally, with 40% fewer covers in the room in order to respect social distancing. "It’s a chance and a privilege to be able to reopen," said the cook. "After more than a month without new cases, we can no longer follow the example of the metropolis. "

An anticipated resumption of activity appreciated, but which will not miraculously save the turnover of establishments. Nicolas Gicquel, manager of Bonito, is reviving the Saint-Barth restaurant association, which has been dormant for four years. "Some establishments on the island will suffer, especially those that were taken over recently," he feared. "We will not find a real rhythm until the air links have resumed. We find ourselves like a month of September, but at thirty restaurants open instead of ten. For large structures like his, mainly used by tourism, the reopening is not easy. Rehiring staff, relaunching kitchens for very reduced services, would ultimately cost these companies more than keeping doors closed until the island opens.

More expensive products, fewer customers
"We're still leaving Irma," said Jean-Claude Dufour. "A natural disaster and a health disaster in two and a half years is a bit much! Fortunately, the good momentum at the start of the season helps limit the financial damage. "We were at the peak, the fridges were full, just before the Bucket," said Nicolas Gicquel, who employed 36 people before the confinement. "For all restaurants like the rest of the island, March and April are the two strongest months of the season. In addition to this deadweight loss, most restaurants that have offered take-out have seen a significant increase in product prices. “We will have to make attractive prices for the locals, despite this. With the added capacity of less reception, "explains the Head of Spirit. "We are not going to make money; the goal for the coming months is to make zero. " Stop losing money, pay rents, employees, bills, suppliers ("they played the game, it must be emphasized"), until tourism resumes.

As for sanitary rules, the Collectivity and the prefecture have left the responsibility to each entrepreneur. In mind, a floor marking keeps customers who are patient from each other, and the tables will be spaced as far apart as possible. “Normally I can accommodate a hundred people; if I make fifty it will be fine. In the kitchen, professionals are already up to date on hygiene standards, inseparable from the profession. On the other hand, no mask for the waiters, even less gloves. "Today, after more than a month without new cases, the danger comes from outside. This is where we must protect ourselves, with the testing policy implemented by the Community. On the island, the watchword launched by Bruno Magras to socio-professionals is individual responsibility. "It is our responsibility to be careful, but also that of the customers. If someone is sick, they don't go to a restaurant, "says Nicolas Gicquel. The coming weeks and months are uncertain, but the main feeling among restaurateurs is relief. “We have a big thought for our colleagues in the metropolis. We hope they too can reopen as soon as possible. There, they wait until June 2 to be fixed on their fate.

a good choice...Jean Claude really cares about his family, his business, the environment and planet Earth!