reasons for shutting restaurants?

didier

Senior Insider
I have heard through the island grapevine that the gendarmes drove around the island and when they went by cantina and saw so many people in the restaurant and in the street, they decided to enforce the french laws from mainland france.

the gendarmes did not think it was wise to close cantina last night as the crowd there was so big, they thought it wiser to wait until today to inform them that they are closed.

so all the restaurants got punished for one restaurants mistake. You cannot control people and restaurants should not have to be enforcers, they should only have to make sure the place is clean and serve food, my opinion. I do think restaurants should have to limit how many people are in their restaurants, after that its up to the people.

hopefully Mr. Magras will override this huge mistake.

I completely agree. What did they think would happen? It doesn't seem like there was much forethought...

From Le Journal

CLOSED, OPEN? WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH RESTAURANTS?
by V.A 12/05/2020
We don't know you, but on our side, it's hard to keep up. Here's what we know: Bruno Magras asked the prefect and the government to speed up the deconfinement in Saint-Barthélemy. Arguments: the island has equipped itself with a rapid testing machine, and it has not had any cases of Covid-19 for weeks. The borders remain closed for the time being. Emmanuel Macron and Annick Girardin said that they agreed with the president of the Community, while respecting the barrier measures.

It is not the Collectivity but the government that sets the rules for deconfinement. All of France was therefore suspended from the decree on the matter. But between the debates in the National Assembly, in the Senate, the hundreds of amendments tabled, the procedure was a little late. In the meantime, a decree confirming the deconfinement was signed on May 11, and it is valid until Tuesday May 12 at midnight.

This decree specifies that certain measures taken at national level can be adapted in Overseas Collectivities like ours. We therefore logically await the decree of the prefect who must follow, specifying things for Saint-Martin and for Saint-Barthélemy.

But this decree does not come. The prefecture remains silent, and in this case, it is the national regulations that apply to Saint Barth also.

Except that it has been announced that shops, including bars and restaurants could reopen on May 11. What many have done, of course. Especially since all the socio-professionals were brought together last week by the Com and the prefecture. Meeting during which the date of May 11th was confirmed to all of them, and the follow-up of the sanitary instructions was largely left to their appreciation, particularly by the President of the Community. Yes, they must take measures, but no further details have been provided: social distancing, wearing a mask, hydroalcoholic gel?

Suddenly, a few establishments opened their doors yesterday, each having taken sanitary measures in its own way. Few masks, but the tables more or less distant from each other, hydroalcoholic gel available ... Too little for the prefecture, which insists that the maximum precautions are taken.

But before that, until the decree is signed, restaurants and bars are not allowed to welcome people, even in Saint-Barthélemy. This is what the gendarmes went to explain to the managers of establishments on the island, Monday evening.

Now, everyone is therefore suspended from the publication of this decree, the objective of which is to satisfy both the prefecture and the Collectivity on the balance between economic recovery and health security. The prefecture has not given us more information yet.

However, we know that it must be signed the day of Tuesday, and that it should confirm the reopening of bars and restaurants from Wednesday, May 13 on our island. We do not yet know what will happen to pleasure boating or the opening of discos.

everybody lies, cops lie, newspapers lie. the one thing you can count on is word on the street, yeah, thats solid.

The restaurants opened on May 11, because they were told they were allowed to open, simple as that.

everybody lies, cops lie, newspapers lie. the one thing you can count on is word on the street, yeah, thats solid.

The restaurants opened on May 11, because they were told they were allowed to open, simple as that.

Yep, that's what the article says!

Typical miscommunication within the political system. Unfortunately the Collectivité is not in power about this. Paris is. And, locally, the voice of the Government is Mrs Sylvie Feucher, head of the Préfecture of St. Martin and St. Barthélemy. Her office is located in St. Martin, not St. Barths. Of course, there is continuous cooperation between the Préfecture and the Collectivité.

When a local "privilege" is granted (such as the opening of restaurants), Mrs Feucher must put it in writing ("the decree"). Once the decree is issued, this is the green light for the Collectivité to go ahead.

It seems in this case that the decree wasn't issued on time, despite the promises made last week, hence the total confusion (and frustration).

It might seem complicated, but one must understand that the Gendarmes (*) are public servants. They do not answer to Mr. Magras. They do answer to Mrs Feucher (the extended hand of Mr. Macron). Until the decree is officially published (it should be issued this afternoon), national law applies. And in mainland France, restaurants are NOT allowed to open (*) note: local police does answer to Mr Magras, different task force.

Makes it difficult to do business. The thought of food going to waste or spoiling is appalling. Hopefully someone on St Martin will actually get it right and cross the T’s and dot all the I’s....in a timely fashion.

From Le Journal, google translated

BARS, RESTAURANTS, DISCOTHÈQUES, NAVIGATION: “WE MUST DO THINGS BY STEPS”

The prefect Sylvie Feucher published the decree stipulating the rules of deconfinement in Saint-Barthélemy. It’s good for restaurants and bars, not nightclubs or boating at the moment. "I have to take some precautions," she explains.

The long-awaited prefectural decree is signed and published. It details the activities that are authorized to resume as of Wednesday, May 13, and those that are not. With some differences compared to the national level, starting with bars and restaurants, which will be able to welcome their customers tomorrow, after a false start on Monday. "But beware, what I saw on Monday evening, I did not like it at all," warns Sylvie Feucher, prefect of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barth. "I have received lots of photos of certain establishments in Saint-Barthélemy, which have been opened without any respect for the barrier measures. If people don't do the right thing, I will take administrative shutdown measures. A Ministry of Labor file must be issued for these establishments, but there are already common sense measures to take. If you send me photos, it's good because it offends. I am for the resumption of activity, but if we do not adopt the right actions now, what will we do when the borders are reopened? "

The only nightclubs that will be banned from the public even from May 13, discos, "for fairly obvious reasons. »Commercial nautical activities (scuba diving, jet-skiing, day-charter boat, etc.) will not be allowed to resume their activity either.

Boating prohibited

For the general public, despite the insistence of President Magras, boating remains prohibited for the moment. "Obviously, 5 miles from the coast is not far. But we do not have the capacity to monitor each boat, and to ensure that a boat does not seek people on the islands around to bring it back to Saint-Barthélemy. For pleasure boating, we will see how the situation is evolving in Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten. I am prefect of the Northern Islands, I cannot consider only Saint-Barthélemy, without Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten nearby. These rules could be relaxed in a fortnight, or even a week. It takes patience, you can't do it all at once. "

On the other hand, nautical activities such as surfing, windsurfing or kiting, without motors, are authorized. "Only in the context of individual practice, not in a commercial setting," says Sylvie Feucher.

These rules will be difficult for some to accept, but the state representative does not want to go from black to white all at once. "We are not in the idea of ​​making it last fifteen years," reassures the prefect. Quite surprised to see that after weeks of receiving requests from all sides for rigor on containment, we asked him for an express deconfinement. "I want to be able to monitor, branch by branch, how it is going. We have to do things gradually, create an airlock. Flexibilities can happen quickly, but you have to do one thing after the other. "Because in the event of deconfinement failure, a reconfinement is not excluded. “It is completely imaginable. We'll have to look into it if we have five or six cases of Covid-19 at once. But I don't want to be reconfined, so you have to do it right. "

My reading of French is considerably slower than my reading of English, and I have to reread it a few times, but it looks like the necessary document from the Précfecture has been released. I would upload it here, but the capability to upload files to posts appears to be broken.

In the last few hours, several restaurants who had previously said that they would be unable to open tonight, have now said that they will be open.

Au Régal
Les Bananiers
La Cantina (only for people sitting at tables)
La Crêperie
Eddy's Ghetto
QG

I heard that, LOL.

I was reading the 3-page text of the Order. I don't see anything in the 3 pages referencing waiting to reopen until the 13th, which Le Journal's article mentions. It will be interesting to hear how the establishments who open tonight fare.

In the article, the Préfète is quoted as saying

"« Mais attention, ce que j’ai vu lundi soir, cela ne m’a pas du tout plu », prévient Sylvie Feucher, préfète de Saint-Martin et Saint-Barth. « J’ai reçu plein de photos de certains établissements à Saint-Barthélemy, ouverts sans aucun respect des mesures barrière. Si les gens ne font pas ce qu’il faut, je prendrai des mesures de fermeture administrative. "

""But beware, what I saw on Monday evening, I did not like it at all," warns Sylvie Feucher, prefect of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barth. "I have received lots of photos of certain establishments in Saint-Barthélemy, which have been opened without any respect for the barrier measures. If people don't do the right thing, I will take administrative shutdown measures."

My reading of French is considerably slower than my reading of English, and I have to reread it a few times, but it looks like the necessary document from the Précfecture has been released. I would upload it here, but the capability to upload files to posts appears to be broken.

In the last few hours, several restaurants who had previously said that they would be unable to open tonight, have now said that they will be open.

Au Régal
Les Bananiers
La Cantina (only for people sitting at tables)
La Crêperie
Eddy's Ghetto
QG

That's odd as the article Izzy posted above says they can open as of May 13.... are they flaunting her again?

I heard that, LOL.

I was reading the 3-page text of the Order. I don't see anything in the 3 pages referencing waiting to reopen until the 13th, which Le Journal's article mentions. It will be interesting to hear how the establishments who open tonight fare.

In the article, the Préfète is quoted as saying

"« Mais attention, ce que j’ai vu lundi soir, cela ne m’a pas du tout plu », prévient Sylvie Feucher, préfète de Saint-Martin et Saint-Barth. « J’ai reçu plein de photos de certains établissements à Saint-Barthélemy, ouverts sans aucun respect des mesures barrière. Si les gens ne font pas ce qu’il faut, je prendrai des mesures de fermeture administrative. "

""But beware, what I saw on Monday evening, I did not like it at all," warns Sylvie Feucher, prefect of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barth. "I have received lots of photos of certain establishments in Saint-Barthélemy, which have been opened without any respect for the barrier measures. If people don't do the right thing, I will take administrative shutdown measures."

who is sending Sylvie Feucher photo's, perhaps the gendarmes? As far as the gendarmes just doing their duty which Islander had stated, then I believe that they did not do their duty last night. they pick and chose restaurants to close, and the biggest offender of the distancing rules was left to stay open.

Hopefully the prefect will let the restaurants start to make some money after being closed for so long as it was not feasible for some restaurants to just do carry out.

Why did I get an email for the "Grand Opening" of Sky St. Barts if they closed everything?

Happy Hour, Music and Tapas.

Why did I get an email for the "Grand Opening" of Sky St. Barts if they closed everything?

Happy Hour, Music and Tapas.

they are hoping you can swim here. of course I am being funny.

my guess is the sky bar does not know which americans stayed on the island for this lock down. so they sent the email to all their clients.