FIRST DAY OF SBH RE- OPENING OBSERVATIONS

Reed

Senior Insider
So we had to go to Orange today to extend local cell phone service. Driving through St. Jean around 11:00 I was really surprised to see the number of shops open. As we headed into Gustavia I felt the same way. While certainly not taking the time to count the stores open it felt to me while passing by that maybe 70% of the shops between St. Jean and Gustavia were open. Not a lot of people wearing masks but a larger number than I expected of local folk out and about. I suspect that had a lot to do with it being the twice yearly "soldes" time period. Many people walking in and out of the shops. There was social distancing so some degree as potential purchasers waited to get into shops while awaiting the departure of other "bargain" seekers. It made for a nice vibe but felt to us like people weren't sticking to the social distancing/mask/gloves protocol we have been accustom to the last couple of months. My 2 Euros worth:)

Kimberly . . . in going through St. Jean to Gustavia, has reconstruction of the small bridge near Eden Rock caused disruption in traffic?

Kimberly . . . in going through St. Jean to Gustavia, has reconstruction of the small bridge near Eden Rock caused disruption in traffic?

YES. emphatically so. I got stuck there today in the St Jean toward Lorient direction and had to wait for at least three red lights as there was so much traffic coming in the other direction that no cars from my direction could advance. There is that construction. Then there is a big mess on the road coming down the hill into St Jean from Saline, that road is one way from Saline to St Jean, so to get to our house you have to go by way of Lorient. There seems to be construction everywhere and a huge amount of traffic, which is amazing considering all of the hotels are basically empty and there are very few tourists on the island, other than those who have been here since March.

They're not tourists . . . they now qualify as "locals!"

I guess they do, they should get t-shirts that say, "I survived 2 months of confinement in Saint Barth"... certainly changes your idea of the island if you have never been here in say, September, before. Sadly the tranquility is over....