'Ti Punch

KevinS

Senior Insider
In these days of "not much going on", here's another memory which isn't actually that old. Enjoy!

If there is a “traditional” drink in SBH it would have to be ‘Ti Punch. ‘Ti Punch, pronounced Tee Poonch, which is short for Petite Punch. It is a drink that is found on all of the French Caribbean islands.

Ti Punch has three ingredients, Rhum (Rum in English), Cane Syrup, and Lime. The most important of these is the Rhum. It must be made using Rhum Agricole, literally Agricultural Rum, a variety of Rhum made on Guadeloupe and Martinique. There are many good distillers and brands – I prefer Rhum J.M (no second “.”), but at home I use Clement VSOP. On the island, I use whatever the bartender is pouring. The difference between Rhum Agricole and the more familiar rums which we know (Bacardi?) is that Rhum Agricole is made from Sugar Cane Juice, rather than Molasses, and has a very different flavor.

Cane Syrup is the second ingredient. Some people try to replicate a ‘Ti Punch in the US by using Simple Syrup, but it’s not the same. I often bring a bottle of Cane Syrup home with me. In a pinch, I’ll make a Simple Syrup with 21 ounces (by weight) of Cane Sugar, and 24 ounces of water.

The third ingredient is lime. In SBH you’ll often get a slice the size of a dime taken off the side of the lime, primarily lime zest. Some bartenders, for Americans, will put as much as 1/8 of a lime in the drink.

Recipe:
1 small piece of lime squeezed in the glass
2 ounce Rhum Agricole
¼ ounce Cane Syrup

Ti Punch is served in a small glass, about the size of, or a little bigger than, a shot glass. At Le Select, it is served in a small bathroom-sized plastic Dixie Cup. (Unless you’re with Marius. Then you’ll get a glass like the one in the photo.)

If you order a ‘Ti Punch in a bar, the bartender may ask you “Blanc ou Vieux”, meaning White Rum or Aged Rum. Most stick to the White Rum, or ‘Ti Punch Blanc. If you would like ice in your 'Ti Punch then add “avec glaçons”, with ice. (locals rarely say “avec glaçons”).

If you’re visiting someone’s house, they may put the ingredients on the table, so that guests may each prepare their own ‘Ti Punch. In French this is referred to as “chacun prépare sa propre mort”, or “each prepares his own death”.

Traditionally, ‘Ti Punch may be consumed at any hour of the day. Depending on the time of day, it may have a special name. The following list is from either Guadelopue or Martinique. At 5AM it is the Décollage, or Takeoff. At 11AM is the ‘Ti Lagoute, or Small Taste. At Noon, the drink is the ‘Ti Punch described here. At 12:30 comes the Ti 50%, half of the previous drink. At 3PM it is L’Heure de Crist, the Hour of Christ. At 5PM it is the ‘Ti Pape, or Little Pope. Towards the end of the night comes Le Partante, or The Departure.

There’s a local who comes into Le Select from time to time who wears a t-shirt attesting to the potency of ‘Ti Punch. It reads, in increasingly blurry letters:

1 ‘Ti Punch
2 ‘TI Punch
3 'Ti Punch
No Problem

Me, I’ve been known to have a ‘Ti Punch from time to time (but never – yet - a Décollage). I like the taste, and the buzz isn’t bad either. I tend to pace myself more these days, and a week in SBH may mean I indulge in a ‘Ti Punch or two. When enjoying one with my friend Marius, his traditional toast is often spoken: “Here’s to those who love us well, and all the rest can go to Hell.”

And that’s the story of ‘Ti Punch.

I have a 3L Box Of Rum from Clement, I have a 750ml bottle of Canadou Sirop de Canne, I have limes, and I have “Ti Punch” glasses which were gifted to me by Marius a good 20 years ago. I made one as a nightcap just before I started writing this post.

However, If you have some rum at home, no matter the variety or where it comes from, some kind of Simple Syrup (basically sugar and water) and a Lime, then Here's To You My Friend! Please make the best 'Ti Punch that you can with what you have available, and Enjoy!

I've asked JEK to fill in the missing photos. They're his photos, and photo credits are to him.

118806642_01deba08b5_o.jpg

“Blanc ou Vieux”

IMG_3389.jpg

Two famous Ti Punch drinkers. Well, they once were!

IMG_8989.jpg

marius_clean.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

Good to see Marius & Rosie too & read the history surrounding the ti punch ! Thanks for enlightening us !

Lovely St. Bart's post to enjoy. Kevin, your stories are a bright light in all of this. And, John, your eye, and the results! Just fabulous.

Simply wonderful - thank you Kevin! We have never indulged in 'Ti Punch - and have always been curious as to what it is. I guess I always assumed it was some sort of fruity concoction - something befitting a paper umbrella. We will definitely try one on our next visit!

Simply wonderful - thank you Kevin! We have never indulged in 'Ti Punch - and have always been curious as to what it is. I guess I always assumed it was some sort of fruity concoction - something befitting a paper umbrella. We will definitely try one on our next visit!

Enjoy! It's a sipper for most, but a shooter for some. I should warn you that it's an acquired taste, 180-degrees off from a fruity concoction. The fruity drink would be a Planteur, the local version of a Planter's Punch. Sometimes "Un Planteur" appeals to me, but I prefer them with a nice dark rum floater.

When The Hideaway was crowded and a table not quite ready for us, Andy Hall would say wait at the bar a bit. One time it was taking a while, so he offered a drink. I said could I just have a sip of the little drink he had in his hand. It looked harmless. He warned, I take it kinda strong. I thought about it and said, that’s ok. He presented the glass, I took a small sip, and he stood by ad I promptly choked and burst into 🔥 🔥 flames.

Andy was right.

There are many good distillers and brands – I prefer Rhum J.M (no second “.”),

Kevin, this is from a post of yours a few years back:

Having too much time on my hands, I sometimes wonder why it is "Rhum J.M" and not "Rhum J.M.". What happened to the second "."?

Moi aussi. Perhaps one of our amis (amies) français (françaises) could weigh in ? J. M presumably representing the original owner, Jean-Marie Martin ?