Buying a Lot on Amazon These Days? Wondering if the Price is Fair?

KevinS

Senior Insider
If you're buying a lot on Amazon these days, You may have concerns about whether or not what you are buying is being priced fairly, or if you're being overcharged due to the COVID-19 situation, or perhaps just plain greed by some sellers. There's a website which tracks Amazon pricing history. Find the item on Amazon, copy the item URL out of your browser, and paste it into camelcamelcamel.com camelcamelcamel.com is a great tool for historical Amazon price checking.

Here's an example of an HDMI cable. I've never bought it, I don't have an opinion on it, it's just an example.

Capture.jpg

Note the B01H7M6YKI character string in the URL at the top of the page. That B01 text string is a unique amazon product ID. Doing a cut-and paste of either just that, or of the entire URL, into camelcamelcamel.com will give you pricing history on the item.

Looking at the Price History, If I needed these cables, I might wish that I had bought them a year ago, but I'm not offended by the price being charged today. While the price is higher, I don't see Price Gouging.

Capture.JPG

camelcamelcamel.com is a great tool for historical Amazon price checkig.

Great info, Kevin - thank you. My whole family purchases quite a bit off of Amazon. We will definitely utilize camelcamelcamel.com to compare pricing going forward.

Interesting tool, but the net-net is that you're an adult with free will in an open market.

FWIW? One of the tech websites tested HDMI cables a while ago.

Don't buy Monster, etc cables. No appreciable difference in signal etc from the no name cheapies.