over 70 quarantine?

didier

Senior Insider
Over the radio yesterday, the announcer said that after may 11 when the island has more freedom for the population after the quarantine, the confinement of people over the age of 70 will continue for a period of time as the gov is afraid that this age group will be more vulnerable to catching the covid-19.

I am not sure how they would enforce this. This is a very bad idea, would never happen in the usa.

this is clearly more of an insult than a protection in my opinion.

M. Macron had this to say in his speech (from the English translation in this thread):

"For their protection, we will ask the most vulnerable, the elderly, those with severe disabilities, and those with chronic illnesses, to stay confined even after May 11, at least initially. I know it is a strong constraint. I measure what I ask you and we will, by May 11, work to make this time more bearable for you. But you will have to try to stick to it to protect yourself, for your interest."

i have not heard further specifics about France's strategy.

The US reopening process that was detailed yesterday (slides used for that presentation can be found here) states that "all vulnerable individuals should shelter in place" through upcoming Phase 2, which is expected to occur at different times in different states and which seems to be the phase that Macron expects France to generally be after May 11. In the US plan, "vulnerable" is defined as including the "elderly". The AEI plan which helped guide the US strategy (posted before by John) included anyone above age 60 in its "highly vulnerable group".

The US plan also includes a statement that employers should "strongly consider special accommodations" for personnel in vulnerable populations putting a bit of an onus on employers to enable the "vulnerable" to "shelter in place" (note that few states, 10 in this 2018 study, have laws protecting employment during a medical quarantine of even much shorter duration than the time that can be expected for "Phase 2").

the usa can barely keep the under 60 crowd confined. lol. the usa will never be able to enforce this over 60 rule after may 11 or may 15 usa, however france might have more luck.

they would have to quarantine the whole state of florida.

Speaking as one of that age group I plan on staying put at home until there is much more testing/tracking and a proven therapeutic. The ultimate enforcement of the stay at home is the real threat of infection by going out. YMMV:cool:

the usa can barely keep the under 60 crowd confined. lol. the usa will never be able to enforce this over 60 rule after may 11 or may 15 usa, however france might have more luck.

The US plan pertaining to vulnerables is not written as rules to be enforced ("should shelter in place"). The wording seems to reflect the belief that voluntary requests can lead to better trust with government and are more likely to be followed if the individuals who are being restricted understand, as M. Macron explained to the French, "you will have to try to stick with it to protect yourself, for your interest". Constitutional authority for public health interventions in the US is mainly held by individual states so a nation-wide rule would be difficult anyway.

Brigitte Macron is 67, wonder if she will stay "put" after may 11. this may be a form of do as I say not as I do.

I have no problem waiting to see the younger and stronger test the waters for me.

But those who venture out in phase 1 should be certain they have antibodies in order to be the smart canaries. IMHO.

anyway you look at this, its age discrimination.

they have put everyone over the age of 60 in one group, vulnerable to this virus. some of the over 60's are healthier than 20 year olds. if one rolls over and takes this discrimination rule and stays home, then what will they ask this age group to do next?

anyone ever watched the movie soylent green?

what do you think would have been the response if they chose a race instead of an age group to shelter in place longer than the rest of the population?

don't let this happen.

Speaking as one of that age group I plan on staying put at home until there is much more testing/tracking and a proven therapeutic. The ultimate enforcement of the stay at home is the real threat of infection by going out. YMMV:cool:

Our thoughts, exactly. If you assume that everyone you encounter outside is Covid-19 positive, and you should, then limiting exposure is an imperative, especially for those of us in the "elderly" category, until such time as a vaccine is available.

Our thoughts, exactly. If you assume that everyone you encounter outside is Covid-19 positive, and you should, then limiting exposure is an imperative, especially for those of us in the "elderly" category, until such time as a vaccine is available.

Agree Jim. Better safe than sorry.

anyway you look at this, its age discrimination.

they have put everyone over the age of 60 in one group, vulnerable to this virus. some of the over 60's are healthier than 20 year olds. if one rolls over and takes this discrimination rule and stays home, then what will they ask this age group to do next?

anyone ever watched the movie soylent green?

what do you think would have been the response if they chose a race instead of an age group to shelter in place longer than the rest of the population?

don't let this happen.
I agree 100%. When you have different rules for people of different ethnic background, age, sexuality, nationality, or race it is a slippery slope. Look at past history.

Also I have lived by the mantra that if you can do something today you can do it tomorrow. That is what keeps me young at the age of 69. The younger people are referring to this virus as the Boomer Remover.

Can another term be found in lieu of "elderly" for the over-70 group? I kind of like "venerable."

I have no way of staying at home, I have a disabled husband and have to do all our errands and shopping.... not possible in my case.

If people over the age of 60 go along with this insane plan to stay confined while the rest of the population is not confined, it won't end there,

then the gov will be free to say, well that worked now lets tell them after the border is open, its wiser to wait for several months to fly because your age makes you more vulnerable, while the rest of the population will be coming and going as they please while you watch from your windows.

wake up, the gov has no interest in your vulnerability. the gov thinks that you may be more likely to contract the virus if its around and more likely to pass it on. they are worried about statistics, not this age group. If you don't agree with this plan to stay confined, they will have no power to make you do this.