Villa Maison Rouge

Scotik

SBH Insider
In the beginning stages of planning our next visit to my favorite vacation place (8 trips in 7 years), St. Barts. Not sure if it will be in October or November, a lot depends on the virus.

One of the villas that has made my short list is Maison Rouge, love the fact it has a pool and jacuzzi and appears to have nice views of the sea (those pictures can be deceiving sometimes).

I hope someone will be able to answer this question and maybe has a review of the location.

Can you walk to the beach? Does it really have great views? It looks to be at the top of a hill and we are late forty and early 50's in good shape. We don't mind a little huffing and puffing to get up the hill especially to make us feel better after a meal at ER or Pearl Beach but don't want to climb Mt. Everest or be hit by a car. I had considered Villa Robinson Crusoe (at least that's what WIMCO calls it and probably won't use them again) but that beachfront villa had very limited shaded outdoor space. My wife needs shade and so we are looking for a nice villa within walking to St. Jean beach. Thought about Bord de Mer but don't think you can see the water from the terrace and it looks a little aged. Previously stayed at its cottage Case La Plage about 4 years, we were on a tight budget and didn't have to worry about good shade, it was one of our best trips ever but its no longer an option.

As always the excellent help from the forum and the strong community is one of the reasons we come back. I am constantly reading the posts which helps to keep the island fresh in my mind and desire to return.

Hi Scotik- although I can’t answer your questions, Maison Rouge is on our shortlist for a future visit as well. Its a beautiful villa and seems to be nicely private. We, too, loved the fact that it had a pool and jacuzzi and some nice outdoor spaces. Will be interested in the feedback that you receive. Happy trip planning!

Gayle

Hi Scotik,
It is possible to walk to St. Jean beach but the walk back up the hill will be considerably strenuous. The views of the sea are somewhat concealed, it does have some vantage points but not what I would consider panoramic. It is not at the top of the hill, there are many villas even still higher with more commanding views. There is considerable ongoing construction in the vicinity. The Villa is more worn since the pics were taken, it is somewhat dated. I believe you can find a better option that suits more favorable the answers to your questions of what you are seeking in a villa.

Good feedback, Bob. I guess it’s always a good thing to try and tour villas we all may be interested in, if possible, while on St. Barth. Scotik, if you’re renting through an agency, ask for their candid feedback...I would think your rep would be honest with you. My short list just got shorter.

You may want to take a look at Desirade. We've stayed there twice. It has a beautiful view of St. Jean overlooking Eden Rock. It's slightly past Le Village hotel.

That's some hill to walk up and down isn't it?
If you walk straight down it’s steep, but there’s also a dirt road just below the villa that goes diagonal to the right and comes out behind the shops where Black Swan is...that one is an easier walk assuming it’s still there. The last time we stayed there was 2009.

Dadto6 thank you for the feedback, disappointed but better to know now. Thank you Tiffany, went and looked at Desirade. Its beautiful but over our budget for the two of us.

Hello Scotik,
Anita and I stayed at Suite Acajous, it is a very quaint and private Villa. Fully air conditioned, Powder Room near entrance. US Sat tv. We rented directly from the Owner and includes newer Red MINI Convertible.

Also, I would suggest Villa AYA or Villa IVY, they are both near new and very nice. Both include Full air conditioning and US Sat tv. Easy walk to the airport side of St. Jean Beach.

I believe all three would be in your budget.

Happy Villa Shopping.
Bob