Info on Winair flights

belinda

SBH Insider
Due to fly onto the island April 15th and found out from our villa owner there is a shut down on the island for around 45 days, no coming or going,,,. completely bummed about it and this virus... anyway Winair say they are flying still. Can anyone shine anymore light on the situation because if we can come we will. I just don’t want to get to St Marteen and be stuck...

Hello Belinda,
I would suggest you investigate closely regarding your nationality and if your passport county is allowed to enter St. Maarten.

The situation is uncertain. I have no answers, nor does anyone else.

The first question is whether or not you'll be able to get to SXM. The press releases issued by the Sint Maarten government are clear in some spots, and have big holes in others. At present, Sint Maarten is not allowing the entry of passengers who have been in the US or UK in the past 21 days, along with a list of other countries. Scheduled service from the US has been stopped, at least through the end of the month. There are a few repatriation flights coming in to SXM to bring people home, but they end in a few days. What will happen at the end of the month is yet to be seen.

The second question is what you will find should you travel to St Barth. At present, France, including St Barth, is under a lockdown, with restaurants and bars closed (except for takeout and delivery) until April 15. Travel on the island is limited through the end of March, with a Certificate (self-issued) required, and only for limited purposes (for example, grocery shopping and food pickup/delivery). What will happen at the end of the month, and in mid-April, is yet to be seen.

The season's sailing events, the Bucket in March, Les Voiles in April, the West Indies Regatta at the end of April, and La Transat AG2R La Mondiale in April/May have all been cancelled.

There are a number of recent threads here which are worth a read.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/98976 SBH Related Coronavirus Information
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/99026 Cancelling Trip
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/99006 Flights canceled to SXM
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/99017 Closure of restaurant bars

Kevin is the Master of SBH information as folks -- in the US and on the island -- "shelter-in-place!" (Of course, he masters the same role in normal times, as well!)

That 45-day rumor was fake news. The airport remains open on a limited basis. But as pointed out above, flights are greatly reduced on all airlines, St Barth Commuter has stopped all flights as of today, Great Bay Express is not running its ferry service, etc...
hard to tell what might be by mid-April. As post-Irma the island will need the economic boost once the coast is clear, as it were.. but as of today, no one knows when that will be....

Thank you so much for the great info...We’re English and live in the USA and have been in both countries in the last 21 days so a double whammy for us.lol. Sounds like Winair won’t refund, only give us a credit...
keep safe everyone and God willing this will soon pass...

Thank you so much for the great info...We’re English and live in the USA and have been in both countries in the last 21 days so a double whammy for us.lol. Sounds like Winair won’t refund, only give us a credit...
keep safe everyone and God willing this will soon pass...

a credit should be good in this crisis. I was happy to get one from not only sbc but also one from winair. the airlines need to stay in business so the credit helps them do that, a refund does not. try not to judge them harshly because you only get a credit, its really a win win for both the customer and the airlines.

Same for us Diana, credit voucher from SBC and credit voucher from Winair. We are pleased to use on a future trip. No harsh judgement here. We want them to stay in business so we can fly in the future!

Kevin is the Master of SBH information as folks -- in the US and on the island -- "shelter-in-place!" (Of course, he masters the same role in normal times, as well!)

Kevin is the "helper" Mr. Rodgers' mother challenged him (and us ALL) to look for in times of trouble. Thanks, Kev!

I don’t mind a credit, which is for a year from ticketing however I booked it months before we were flying so only gives me a couple of months to use it and coordinate a vacant week with the villa....

Belinda, I feel your pain. It could be much worse. Hopefully, you can find time to squeez in a vacant week.

No, only staying home as long as we all have too. As soon as this is over and it’s safe for everyone we coming to the island... This too will pass, and we will all hopefully be stronger... Thanks for everyone’s input and stay safe and strong during this challenging time.

I don’t mind a credit, which is for a year from ticketing however I booked it months before we were flying so only gives me a couple of months to use it and coordinate a vacant week with the villa....

I was told by WinAir last week that it would be valid for one year from when the voucher is generated ( not purchase date as I assumed), so that may help a lot.