Curfew?

Chilehead

Our villa owners just stopped by to chat and advised that there is an island-wide curfew starting tomorrow and that nobody, regardless of nationality, is allowed to leave home except for emergencies or to go to work. Anyone know anything about this?

We scored an earlier flight leaving SXM on Thursday. Here’s to hoping it goes.

I interpret as a travel ban/limitation. A curfew would prohibit all travel during certain hours. (Yeah, semantics.)

Travel is permitted:

For work if you cannot telework.
To make essential purchases.
Visit a health professional.
Travel for healthcare or to visit a vulnerable person.
Exercise on on an individual basis and around your home.

Prefet 2.png

A littke more more detail can be found in this on France24 which includes this:

"Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said 100,000 officers will be deployed to enforce the lockdown; anyone found outside will have to provide proof of their reasons for travelling."

I suspect Président Magras will soon clarify specifics for St Barth.

I would certainly hope so. Teleworking as a chef isn't a real option. I expect that local chefs will work this out with the Gendarmerie.
Good evening from Singapore everyone !

no, normally a private chef is not allowed to come and work for you. You are not allowed also to meet friends or guests at home. You are supposed to stay quietly with your family only ( except if this family is not living with you).

I do not know how SBH will apply the new measures, but the law is supposed to be effective also there, like in any other French territories.

sorry to be the ominous bird, but these are hard times in the whole world

WOW...
We currently have guests at our villa (scheduled to depart on Saturday out of SJU) who just contacted me, they have friends who are staying at Eden Roc where the manager informed them of this order.
Their question, are we not able to go to the plage and enjoy the rest of our vacation? They stocked their first day in last Saturday and are doing fine so far with the bakery as well.
A very sweet family with younger kids who have looked forward to this trip for the better part of a year. As my friend Kevin writes, hopefully there will be clarification from President Bruno regarding this matter...otherwise they will be compelled to move up their flight home.
And sorry, but for the same reasons , no wandering, no sunbathing, no everything in fact. Just going out to buy food ( with a motive) and before 6pm anyway.

I have posted the most recent info on the COVID-19 thread.... as on Tuesday March 17, everyone is under confinement... only going out for food shopping or medical reasons basically, unless you have to get to work, and cannot work from home, ie to a supermarket, etc... hardware stores and wine stores are open but all boutiques for clothing and jewelry closed. Check it out, the rules are pretty strict... hope this doesn't last too long!

Ellen,

Any idea how enforcement would work?

from my Asian point of view , yes it works if applied strictly. China has almost recovered (for now, with strict quarantine on arrival for everyone in China) , and Taiwan, Korea or Singapore always had situation under control.

Nevertheless it should need 45 days minimum to reverse the curb « new cases minus recovered »

WOW...
We currently have guests at our villa (scheduled to depart on Saturday out of SJU) who just contacted me, they have friends who are staying at Eden Roc where the manager informed them of this order. Their question, are we not able to go to the plage and enjoy the rest of our vacation? They stocked their first day in last Saturday and are doing fine so far with the bakery as well.
A very sweet family with younger kids who have looked forward to this trip for the better part of a year. As my friend Kevin writes, hopefully there will be clarification from President Bruno regarding this matter...otherwise they will be compelled to move up their flight home.

Just spoke w/Tradewind who told me they thought the airport was NOT closing to flights in/out as of at least Thursday...

I understand Eden Rock is giving partial refunds to guests that are having to leave the island early because of this lockdown. a noble gesture.

Karma has a way of rewarding people that do the right thing. I am sure we will all get through this as long as there is no panic. stay strong sbh.

I hope St Barth takes full advantage of this opportunity to keep the outbreak under control like DaddyLeCool's Singapore has been able to so far. As he says, strict adherence for a prolonged period will be needed for St Barth to be relatively spared. Although the measures are based on the situation in mainland France, where their potential effectiveness has already been diminished, acting now gives St Barth its best chance.

What seems unnecessary and even crazy one day has quickly become inadequate in regions where the pandemic has become evident.