Flights canceled to SXM

kenn

SBH Member
From the Daily Herald. https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/int-l-flights-from-us-europe-uk-cancelled-for-two-weeks-from-tues

PHILIPSBURG--All international flights and cruises originating from the United States of America, Europe and the United Kingdom to Sint Maarten will be cancelled for two weeks as of Tuesday, March 17, Chairperson of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Prime Minister Silveria Jacobs said in a national address today, Saturday.
As of March 14, up until and including Monday, March 16, there is an opportunity for St. Maarten students studying abroad and residents as well as essential personnel to return to the country ahead of the two-week travel restrictions.
The travel restrictions do not apply for regional air and sea travel at this time. Travel within the Dutch Caribbean: Saba, St. Eustatius, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curacao remains in place until further notice. This travel restriction also applies to other seafaring vessels.
Jacobs said arrangements will be put in place for visitors to return home with their carriers. Cargo flights/vessels bringing in food supplies, household goods, oil, gas, as well as medicine will continue. Also allowed, will be travel by technical and medical assistants whether via commercial or chartered airlines.
“All residents and nationals traveling back to Sint Maarten from the United States, Europe and the United Kingdom during this period, are recommended to monitor their health for 14-days for consistent cough, fever or respiratory problems (consistent with COVID-19) and maintain a social distance for the safety and security of the community. If you experience the aforementioned symptoms, please call your family physician. Do not go to your doctor or the medical center. During the phone call with your doctor, you will be advised further what actions should be taken,” she stressed.
The PM said these preventive measures are to limit the exposure of the Sint Maarten people to COVID-19 due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in Europe and the United States of America and based on the World Health Organisation (WHO’s) declaration on Wednesday, March 11, that the coronavirus has become a global pandemic. “Based on this declaration, the Government of Sint Maarten has stepped up its preparations and today March 14, after deliberation with the Council of Ministers and the EOC a number of decisions have been taken,” she said

I've found a link to the Sint Maarten Government Press Release:

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Press...tional-Address-on-COVID-19-MARCH-14-2020.aspx

14 March 2020

“People of St. Maarten, I hereby address you, as Prime Minister and Chair of the EOC (Emergency Operations Center), in an update for today Saturday March 14, 2020, as part of the process to keep the community of Sint Maarten informed about the latest developments and the Governments COVID-19 preparedness, prevention, mitigation and response measures.

The World Health Organization declared on Wednesday March 11 that the coronaviris COVID-19 has become a global pandemic. Based on this delcaration, the Government of Sint Maarten has stepped up its preparations and today March 14, after deliberation with the Council of Ministers and the EOC a number of decisions have been taken.

These preventive measures are to limit the exposure of the Sint Maarten people to COVID-19 due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in Europe and the United States of America.

Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020, all international flights and cruises originating from the United States of America, Europe and the United Kingdom to Sint Maarten are cancelled for a period of two weeks. These travel restrictions do not apply for regional air and sea travel at this time. Travel within the Dutch Caribbean – Saba, St. Eustatius, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curacao remains in place until further notice. This travel restriction also applies to other seafaring vessels.

Arrangements will be put in place for visitors to return home with their carriers. Cargo flights/vessels bringing in food supplies, household goods, oil, gas, as well as medicine will continue. Also allowed, will be travel by technical and medical assistants whether via commercial or chartered airlines.

I would like to reiterate that there is no food shortage on the island. There is no reason to engage in panic buying or hoarding of food. There is a sufficient supply of food and medication on the island. We remain in constant contact with our suppliers and have been assured that replenishments will continue.

As of today, March 14th, up until and including Monday, March 16th, there is an opportunity for St. Maarten students studying abroad and residents as well as essential personnel to return to the country ahead of the 2 week travel restrictions.

All residents and nationals traveling back to Sint Maarten from the United States, Europe and the United Kingdom during this period, are recommended to monitor their health for 14-days for consistent cough, fever or respiratory problems (consitent with COVID-19) and maintain a social distance for the safety and security of the community. If you experience the aforementioned symptoms, please call your family physician. Do not go to your doctor or the medical center. During the phone call with your doctor, you will be advised further what actions should be taken.

The second decision regards large gatherings. With respect to social gatherings throughout the country, new permits will not be granted for gatherings of more than 100 persons. Permits which have already been issued relating to gatherings of more than 100 persons will be postponed until further notice.

Government also strongly recommends that persons in a public setting should keep a distance of at least one meter from each other under certain settings. All institutions, businesses, organizations, religious services and other entities should adhere to these recommended advices in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The current situation unfolding at the Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA) has been brought to my attention, as there was some confusion as to the travel history of 6 passengers on the Air France flight which landed today Saturday, March 14th, based on the fact that German nationals were on board. As we know germany has been added on March 11th to our list of restricted areas of travel. In the latest update received, two of the passengers are residents of Switserland and orignated from there and therefore are allowed to travel to St. Maarten as per our current travel restrictions. The other 4 passengers of German nationality who originated in Germany will return on the same flight back to France. The passengers were kept on board until this information was confirmed, and none have any symptoms related to COVID-19.

PJIA will issue a press release on this matter. The general public is advised not to allow themselves to be riled up before having all the facts. I will also continue to provide updates as the situation develops.

Follow our Government Radio station – 107.9FM. For official information, statements and news updates or visit the Government website at www.sintmaartengov.org/coronavirus and our Facebook Page: Government of Sint Maarten.

As Prime Minister of St. Maarten, I wish to encourage all of us to remain steadfast in preparing for what is a world wide pandemic. While we currently have zero confirmed cases, these are all measures aimed at maintaining a COVID-19 status. I pray that we would take our fellow man/woman into consideration while going about our daily activities, and with the knowledge that we are ensuring your safety, refrain from panic buying and fear mongering. Continue to practice proper hygiene at home, at work and in the community.

Knowledge is power! Stay informed and be prepared. We are strong, resilient and faithful people and trust that this too shall pass.

God bless St. Maarten and her people as we work together; government and community to keep her safe. Thank you.

2 weeks will probably turn in to 2 months which would be devastating for the Islands (SXM, SBH, AXA) economies.

I wonder what SBH is going to do? As of now I guess you can still fly from the U.S. to SJU and take Tradewinds to SBH.

Ouch. We were flying Saturday to SXM from Washington Dulles. Guess NO MORE. The Bucket is such a huge event, wondering the financial impact on the Island if there are going to be many cancelations?

As a traveler coming from Canada I expect this will extend to Westjet and Air Canada. Our government has already stated that it recommends no travel outside of Canada. If there is a restriction on flights from USA that’s gonna be all I need to cancel this year’s visit. The problem is going to be how Villa rentals are dealt with because I doubt travel insurance (for those who bother to get it) will cover this flight cancellation reason.

Ouch. We were flying Saturday to SXM from Washington Dulles. Guess NO MORE. The Bucket is such a huge event, wondering the financial impact on the Island if there are going to be many cancelations?

Sorry to hear Bob and to all who will have their trips cancelled for them. I guess it is for the best in the long run for everyone, but I still feel bad for all of those who won't be able to go like yourself and also to those on Island that will be hurt financially by this ban. Hopefully things will improve quickly :pray1:

Can't get through to Delta or online to confirm my March 17 flight is cancelled but this seems definitive. I'm crushed. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, sorry, sorry for all. Jo.

We are also so disappointed. We were supposed to fly into St Maarten next Saturday on American Airlines. We have now had to cancel our entire trip. Although I am not surprised, it is a bitter pill to swallow as we were bound and determined to get on that flight. Working with WIMCO now to see what can be done with our reservation. I also feel badly about how this ban is going to effect business in St Barth and St Maarten. No-win situation for all. Best to everyone. Stay safe and HEALTHY.

Jo, our flight was for the 30th and we were so looking forward to seeing you. I’ll email you so we can keep in touch. Jeanne and Tony

We're scheduled on an April 1st flight and though we're outside the two week ban, I can't imagine that it won't be extended beyond the two weeks...

I wonder how people that are already here are planning to get back. if planes from usa not allowed to enter sxm, then there would not be a plane to take you back to the usa. the only other option would be to take tradewinds to sju? this does not go into effect until march 17th, but the planes must be full already with people who had booked for this time.

We are devastated......we were to fly to SBH via SXM on Wednesday, planned for almost a year. With all this hysteria, we were so looking forward to our toes in the sand on Lorient Beach!

We are devastated......we were to fly to SBH via SXM on Wednesday, planned for almost a year. With all this hysteria, we were so looking forward to our toes in the sand on Lorient Beach!

tradewinds still flying out of sju to sbh. perhaps an option for you?

won't be much going on here but the sand and the waves. kind of like coming in june without nikki beach or shellona

or picture coming in september, it might be exactly like that month.

Are restaurants closed currently? That's one of the things we were wondering..

Was supposed to leave tomorrow and return the 24th but now its looking unlikely... however the travel restrictions are effective Tuesday and it does say:

"Commercial and private/chartered airlines will be allowed to land and take-off after the March 16th deadline date to facilitate the following:

• Visitors who are currently on the island, or neighboring islands, who are scheduled to travel out via PJIA in the coming weeks to return to their home country. "

It says in the coming weeks.. so I think we may be safe but mi amor is less optimistic...

Also gutted.

We’re in the same predicament, mentaloriental. We’re wondering if it’s wise to still come, and also wondering what will be open on the island during this time. We’d already begun packing, and the thought of having to unpack is quite depressing. Just trying to remind ourselves that as disappointed as we’ll be (and we’ll be crushed), there are many in much worse predicaments right now.

Just finished unpacking--very sad. Apparently the restaurants and stores are closing tomorrow for 2 weeks, with only grocery stores and
pharmacies open.

Return flight cancelled on us by Jetblue, so we had to cancel our trip. Was refunded. Good to know about the closings! Supermarkets here looking scary too!

Sad.. stay safe & healthy everyone :peace-sign1:

We have been here on SBH since Wednesday. We were scheduled to fly back to KC from SXM through CLT. I called AA this morning and was told that all flights on all airlines from SXM to CONUS are cancelled. We’ve been rebooked on a flight from SXM to MIA on 3/27.