Coronavirus Information and Discussion - Non-SBH

KevinS

Senior Insider
This thread provides a place to discuss Coronavirus information which is not specific to SBH. It's not the Wild West, so please provide a link to sources for any information which you cite.

The post in the SBH-Related Coronavirus Information thread which talks about the new SXM Coronavirus Travel Restrictions made a reference to something which I'm not familiar with, TIMATIC. I took a look around, and found some good information on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timatic The lead section reads as follows:

Timatic (Travel Information Manual Automatic) is a database containing documentation requirements for passengers traveling internationally via air, e.g. passport and visa requirements. Timatic, an abbreviation for Travel Information Manual Automatic, is used by airlines and their representatives (check-in agents, managers, etc.), airport staff, and travel agents to determine whether a passenger can be carried, as well as by airlines and travel agents to provide this information to travellers at the time of booking. This is critical for airlines due to the fines levied by immigration authorities every time a passenger is carried who does not have the correct travel documentation,[SUP][1][/SUP] as well as the airline's costs to return the incorrectly-boarded passenger to the original airport from which the passenger departed.[SUP][original research?][/SUP]
The information contained in Timatic includes:[SUP][1]
[/SUP]

1. Passport requirements and recommendations
  2. Visa requirements and recommendations
  3. Health requirements and recommendations
  4. Airport tax to be paid by the traveller at either departure or arrival airport
  5. Customs regulations relating to import/export of goods and small pets by a passenger
  6. Currency regulations relating to import and export by a passenger
Timatic was first established in 1963 and is managed by the Montreal-based International Air Transport Association (IATA).

There's a consumer web-based portal to the Timatic information at https://www.iatatravelcentre.com I put in information for a passenger with a US Passport, no recent travel to Coronavirus hot zones, traveling tomorrow March 10, and transiting through St Maarten. Here's what came back, with a highlight on the SXM Travel Restriction:

T18.JPG
T19.JPG

It appears that you can do this for most countries.

When we were flying to Australia years ago from San Francisco, we met a couple who went on their honeymoon to Tahiti. They thought they were going on their honeymoon to Tahiti. When they arrived, one of them did not have the proper papers. The one person could not get thru customs and the airline was legally obligated to fly that person back at no charge. They both returned at no charge.
We and they learned it is the airlines’ responsibility/ culpability to make sure each passenger’s travel documents are correct for the country of entry.

If any of you have traveled internationally, in the last month, including SBH, I would be interested in hearing, anecdotally, your experiences through the various customs areas, in the U.S. I was surprised to hear from about a half dozen people, returning from Italy, via Logan and JFK, that they just sailed right through. However, I did hear that, in Philadelphia, questions were being asked and temps taken. Just curious what others might be experiencing or have heard from others who returned from Italy, Iran, parts of China, Singapore and South Korea. Thanks.

Sources- Osterholm- Infectious Disease Expert- U of Minnesota and Peter Bergen- CNN National Security Analyst
If you are traveling abroad think about two things-
the possibility that all people- citizens and non citizens returning or traveling to the U.S. may have a mandatory14 day quarantine which has already been imposed in at least one or two other countries such as Israel;
and where do want to be if you need a healthcare system- in that country or your home country?

CDC guidelines now suggest people over 60 think twice about cruise ships and long flights.
We are 2 very healthy 65 year olds and are still planning on traveling to SBH in early April...our flight is 2 1/2 hours out of Miami to San Juan
Wondering if anyone else in our age bracket traveling to SBH soon has any concerns...
Our alternative is to fly back home to Philadelphia area which seems to have several cases of the virus now popping up.

Shihadehs-
Different friends all in yours and our age brackets have chosen differently. Several have decided ‘no matter what’ they are going. ‘It seems as though it is going to be everywhere, so the risk is the same.’
Others have cancelled- they ‘don’t have the time’ nor do they want ‘to take the chance’ of being placed in a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon returning to the U.S., if that occurs. These friends told us the U.S. is where they want to be if they need healthcare facilities because of the virus and it’s possible complications.
We are sitting on the fence. We have cancelled our trip to Scotland and are thinking about the same with our England part. We plan to go to Florida this Friday for two weeks from Indiana but may cancel depending upon events over the next days.
Sorry we are not more helpful.

CDC guidelines now suggest people over 60 think twice about cruise ships and long flights.
We are 2 very healthy 65 year olds and are still planning on traveling to SBH in early April...our flight is 2 1/2 hours out of Miami to San Juan
Wondering if anyone else in our age bracket traveling to SBH soon has any concerns...
Our alternative is to fly back home to Philadelphia area which seems to have several cases of the virus now popping up.

"We are 2 very healthy 65 year olds"

We have a couple of trips coming up (one domestic, one Europe), and are thinking about our options, what makes sense for us.

Honestly, my guess is, given how SBH and SXM seem to be on top of this, in terms of monitoring, testing, quarantining, follow through, contacts and care, and the low likelihood we 'd be any more exposed on SBH than here at home (by any stretch), that we would head to SBH. The more looming issue imho is any potential quarantine situation - not necessarily knowing where that would happen, and any implications for that.

Deb
’Coming up’ implies you still have time to watch and decide. It seems you can make changes or cancel without penalties now even on the last day before you travel. Traveling though on planes offers more exposure, according to the medical advice being rendered, especially if you have a passenger with the disease sitting near you coughing as you can’t escape. If you decide to make the trip/s- Bon Voyage!

Just had a nice chat with my doctor about our upcoming trip in April...he said age doesn’t matter with this virus..he said decision to make trip was up to us but if it were him he would not leave the country at this point..going to get worse before better.
Weighing our options now and waiting till last minute to make decision.

https://intranet.dh.duke.edu/ent/pd...iage/COVID-19-Call-Center-Algorithm-Final.pdf

Good morning. We received this yesterday to help our triage teams work with patients when they call in.

NO SYMPTOMS, BUT POTENTIALLY EXPOSED
Follow Self-Monitoring Guidelines

Monitor self for fever by taking yourtemperature twice a day.Remain alert for cough or difficultybreathing.If you feel feverish or develop a measuredfever of 100.4, cough, or difficulty breathingduring the self-monitoring period, theyshould: self isolate; limit contact with others;and, seek advice via telephone from ahealthcare provider or their local healthdepartment to determine if medicalevaluation is needed.

MILD SYMPTOMSRunny Nose or mild cough, but no fever,no SOB/difficulty breathing.
Follow Isolation Guidelines

Isolate yourself at home.Do NOT allow any visitors.Do NOT go to work or school.Do NOT go to church child care centers,shopping, or other public places.Do NOT shake hands.AVOID close contact with othersCover your mouth and nose by wearing amask or using a disposable tissue.Wash your hands and face frequentlywith soap and water.If symptoms worsen, call your healthcareprovider for guidance.Discontinue isolation when symptomsimprove for >24 hours.

MODERATE SYMPTOMSFever measured over 100.4, runny nose, significantcough, sore throat, muscle aches/headaches +Positive co-morbidity (pulmonary or cardiovasculardisease, immunosuppression) + Over age 70 +Identified travel and/or close contact with confirmedCOVID-19 casesSchedule Patient to PCP late in the day

If patient's PCP is unavailable or it is after hours,direct patient to proceed to Urgent Care.Page Infection Prevention to alert them of theappointment and clinic where the patient willpresent.Infection Prevention will notify Nurse Manager ordesignee of possible COVID-19 case.Fill out dot phrases for coronavirus screeningwithin Epic and route to the appropriate provider.

Remember this is specific to Duke Medical Center, your local medical teams will have different protocols in place but will probably pretty similar.

Also last night Duke University extended spring break until 3/22 and when classes resume they will be on line. Students have been instructed not to come back to campus.

Everyone please stay healthy! Have a good day.

Charlotte

Just had a nice chat with my doctor about our upcoming trip in April...he said age doesn’t matter with this virus..he said decision to make trip was up to us but if it were him he would not leave the country at this point..going to get worse before better.
Weighing our options now and waiting till last minute to make decision.

In my opinion, you would be safer here on this island from the virus than in the states. however not sure how safe the planes are these days for transmission of this virus.

always follow your instincts, if you feel you should not go on this vacation, then don't go. I know the airlines have been very flexible in refunds or changing flights without having to pay a penalty. its a win win for traveling.

I have a trip planned to the states towards the end of march, so far unless they close down baltimore, I am going.

My thoughts on doctor's, there is a reason they call it practicing medicine.