Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SBH-Related Coronavirus Information

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 20,372

Re: SBH-Related Coronavirus Information

From Le Journal on Facebook. It looks like they are going to be serious about enforcing the lockdown, and checking that people have an appropriate certificate.

Name:  enforcement.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  89.1 KB

Air travel through San Juan may soon become a problem. The governor has asked the FAA to stop both domestic and international flights for 14 days.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sho...ng-for-14-Days

Here is the March 18 update from ARS Guadeloupe:

New, a second new case on St Martin, returned from France, and also confined at home.
    Still 2 confirmed cases on St Barth, confined at home.

Name:  ARS Point 14.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  63.1 KB

Tradewind flights will be suspended by 3/22.

Name:  COVID-19 Travel Updates  Tradewind Aviation.png.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  115.8 KB

Here is the March 19 update from ARS Guadeloupe:

Sill 2 confirmed cases on St Martin, at the French-side hospital

Name:  ARS Point 15.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  102.4 KB

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,535

New restrictions in place as of today.. including no beaches or swimming in ocean... they really aren't kidding around here.

I think you can still walk on the beach, but no swimming in the ocean, or in non-single-family (public/hotel?) pools.

Name:  39101B70-F81F-4B55-8D8D-6167154C2AD6.jpeg
Views: 940
Size:  284.6 KB

Name:  6CAF3B1A-65BB-4121-8946-E0870D9B0FF5.jpeg
Views: 939
Size:  123.3 KB

I don't know, perhaps you can still walk on the beach, it doesn't specifically say you can't, but every day is a bit stricter in terms of the rules. They really want you to stay home. The contradiction is that construction sites can still function so those people are in close contact then go home to their families. doesn't make sense...

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 5,117

yes, don't understand the construction continuing. I am painting my terrace here, and being quiet. most of the larger companies have stopped this morning. a few small construction projects are doing small stuff.

I have noticed that each new day brings a new restriciton.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,339

Lots of workers can station themselves 6 feet apart handling different issues. Depends on the skill needed and the ability to work unassisted.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

nope, not buying that, when a truck full of workers goes by and they are all huddled in the back 2" from each other...

Now you are discussing transportation,not construction.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Now you are discussing transportation,not construction.
    personally, I think the same confinement rules should apply to everyone... in France people are taking it all too lightly and Macron is going to extend the confinement period. How long do we want this to go on anyway?

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 723

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    personally, I think the same confinement rules should apply to everyone... in France people are taking it all too lightly and Macron is going to extend the confinement period. How long do we want this to go on anyway?
    That’s how it is in parts of the US too. Everyone needs to do what is asked of them so this can pass sooner rather than later.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 2,122

Our construction crews have not missed a single day of work thus far. Washington DC is like a ghost town, significantly reduced vehicular traffic and very little foot traffic.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,818

Name:  Screenshot_20200320-163340_Facebook.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  190.6 KB

Andy

We have been hunkered down in southwest Florida for the duration...so annoying to see the Spring Breakers romping around like nothing is wrong...thankfully they just closed the beaches...we all need to stay at home to stop spreading the virus..
    Our fridge and bar are stocked and we are staying put...not traveling north anytime soon
    Steve and Aimee

Sounds like you have things under control. Stay well.

There is now a complete beach ban in effect. Also banned is access to hiking trails, and bicycling or running several kilometers from your home. My impression is that the original limitations were being stretched or ignored, moreso in La Metropole than on SBH, so the leash has been shortened for all. The French government really wants people to stick close to home, and to stay physically separated.

From the Prefecture's FB Page:

Name:  Beach Ban.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  98.5 KB

A hint for those who don't read French - You can use Google Translate and the camera on your phone to translate text that is in an image such as this one, and which can't be cut-and-pasted into Google Translate. Open the app, make sure that the input language is set to either French or Detect Language, and the output language is set to English. Touch the Camera icon in Google Translate, and follow the on-screen instructions. It's not perfect, and you'll have to move your phone around a bit, but it is better than nothing.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,120

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    I concur Ellen. I feel happy when seeing sneeze guards protecting the checkout folks at some of the grocery stores and the 6 foot tape on the ground separating folks at take away spots and grocery stores. I don't feel like any of this is being over played right now and am happy to be here instead of the states who are way behind the SBH folks in trying to contain the virus.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

There is real excitement here at home that certain anti-malarial drugs may prove to be of benefit in treating COVID-19 patients, and perhaps offer prophylaxis as well. World maps show strikingly low levels of the viral infection in countries with endemic malaria, where many of the populace have taken or continue to take these drugs. Controlled trials as well as off-label use are now going on.
    WIth the low incidence of COVID-19 infection in SBH, perhaps a controlled trial of Vanilla Rhum should be considered? I think I might start that trial just now.

Had rhum relief last night..Malibu and pineapple juice. Very calming in these trying times.

Quote Originally Posted by 24loar View Post
    There is real excitement here at home that certain anti-malarial drugs may prove to be of benefit in treating COVID-19 patients, and perhaps offer prophylaxis as well. World maps show strikingly low levels of the viral infection in countries with endemic malaria, where many of the populace have taken or continue to take these drugs. Controlled trials as well as off-label use are now going on.
    WIth the low incidence of COVID-19 infection in SBH, perhaps a controlled trial of Vanilla Rhum should be considered? I think I might start that trial just now.

rhum might work better: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauc...ry?id=69716324

Here is the March 21 update from ARS Guadeloupe:

New, a third new case on St Martin. One patient is confined at home, one is in the French-side hospital, and one has been evacuated to Guadeloupe for pregnancy monitoring.

Name:  CF2F5550-AABC-4C8B-9FE1-FAADC532E372.jpeg
Views: 674
Size:  222.9 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2010 Philadelphia and Fire Island, NY Posts: 953

From: St Bartholomew's Anglican Church <info.stbartholomews@gmail.com>
    To: Info St Barts <info.stbartholomews@gmail.com>
    Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 04:27:12 PM EDT
    Subject: St Bartholomew's Anglican Church - Corona update #1

Dear Friends

Right now Saint Barts has an eerie feeling and it’s quite close to how it felt on the days post Hurricane Irma. The island has been on shutdown for several days with all shops, bars and restaurants closed - except for supermarkets and pharmacies, plus the odd takeaway. There is very little traffic and it is the relative quietness which most reminds me of the period post Irma. But it is also the small smiles and nods when passing someone in the car or exercising on the side of the road which signals that we are all in this together … and rooting for each other.

Also the difference this time is that we’re not all scurrying around to make repairs and tidy up ahead of the next hurricane, but our concerns are to avoid ourselves, and our friends and loved ones, catching or transmitting the virus.

Just a few days after the island went on lock down Father Steve Huber, who was our visiting priest for March, decided that it was best to return to United States and he is now back in California. Fortunately for us on island, Father Charlie has remained here – and he has made it known that we will all have his ministry available to us.

During this shutdown we will not be holding any church services or weekday groups, but we have decided to use social media to keep in touch – by uploading videos of our Sunday Service; as well as the Taizé service on Tuesdays and for the meditation group.

The Sunday Service video will be posted on YouTube on Sunday at 9am EDT/island time – there is a link to our channel below. Remember, just like going to church, you won’t be able to watch the service before that time! The whole service is made of up 4 separate videos - Introduction & Gospel, Sermon, Prayers and Communion.

After you have had chance to watch the video (it’s approx. 30 mins long as no music this week!) at 9.30am I will try an experiment for a ‘virtualfellowship time using ZOOM – mimicking what we usually do after the service! This will be available for anyone to join online with your webcam using your usual internet browser; on your mobile phone using the Zoom App; or by just calling a Zoom US telephone number on a normal telephone line and entering the meeting number - 9713397133! I hope that you will find it straightforward – see the details below.

We pray that the world will come together to defeat this virus and allow all our lives to return to normal. Our prayers are especially for all those affected by the virus; those who have died; the patients who have contracted the virus; those who may have lost their jobs; and particularly the health care workers We will also continue to keep all of you in our congregation, both on the island and afar, in our thoughts and prayers.

Do note the church and island still look serene and beautiful and will remain so – awaiting your next visit when we have conquered this.

Warm regards
    Philip
    --
    Philip Trangmar
    Parish Administrator
    +590 (0)690 54 17 99

1. YouTube Channel: St Bartholomew's Anglican Church, St Barts

www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OdHPcmyT1NvhguewkU85g

(please note that this is our first attempt, so bear with us ... the editing and sound will get better!)

2. Saint Barts Anglican Church is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
    Topic: St Barts Church – Post Service Fellowship
    Time: Mar 22, 2020 09:30 AM America/St_Barthelemy
    How to Join the Zoom Meeting …
    Via the internet: https://zoom.us/j/9713397133
    Via the Zoom App: Meeting ID: 97133 97133
    Via your telephone : Dial by your location
    +1 253 215 8782 US
    +1 301 715 8592 US
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    Meeting ID: 97133 97133

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Dorothy Parker

The 18:00 mandatory closing time for those businesses which are permitted to be open, announced by the Prefecture earlier today, does not apply to St Barth. Yet.

Name:  Closing Time 2.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  41.0 KB

Here is the March 23 update from ARS Guadeloupe:

New, 2 new cases on St Martin, for a total of 8, including 2 who have recovered. 4 patients are listed as hospitalized, and 2 are listed as confined at home.

The table in the attached documents shows 4 hospitalized on St Martin, and mentions 1 evacuated to Guadeloupe. The only way that I can get the numbers to add to 8 is to include the evacuated patient in the count of 4 hospitalized on St Martin.

Name:  ARS Point 19.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  59.6 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,818

Name:  FACA247B-6AAA-4C4B-BB76-6F12F13E862F.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  249.5 KB
    Name:  5FEFF6E1-22EB-4112-89F1-BC76833C8FA2.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  336.3 KB

Andy

here is the link to the form Andy posted:
    http://www.outre-mer.gouv.fr/sites/d...e-mer_vdef.pdf

not sure it applies to anyone on the forum, but it basically says if you want to fly to any of the French islands from metropolitan France, who need written proof of:
    1. a family emergency or a death in the family;
    2. a medical reason;
    3. work that cannot be postponed with declaration from employer.

sealed off from the outside world...

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,154

There is a new, local travel form as off this morning. I couldn't find the English version, so perhaps Kevin or JEK can help with that.

Phil

http://www.saint-barth-saint-martin.gouv.fr/content/download/6840/38687/file/attestation-deplacement-fr.pdf