CDC advises against long plane trips and cruises

andynap

Senior Insider
E4262E06-3AD4-415D-B3C1-7ECA4AB2920D.png

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/cdc-warns-plane-trips-cruises-coronavirus-124153

well we are flying from Paris to SBH by way of Guadeloupe on Thursday.. we came to Paris to deal with Rosemond's health issues, how ironic !

We were supposed to fly to SJU to board a cruise in two weeks. We have cancelled. Travel insurance does not cover the cruise fare and so far the cruise line is not offering relief. Our health comes first.

Jim,
Sorry to hear of your cencelled plans. Hope the cruise line offers some relief to you guys.

We were supposed to fly to SJU to board a cruise in two weeks. We have cancelled. Travel insurance does not cover the cruise fare and so far the cruise line is not offering relief. Our health comes first.

Curious what cruise line ? We have one booked in June on Windstar along west coast, but can cancel or choose another cruise on WS.

I am traveling to the states soon and will arrive back here the first week in april. the plane going to sxm from bwi was almost empty, so the seats were cheap.

I snagged a first class seat for less than 400 usd from baltimore to sxm on delta. the regular seat price was 230 usd. even with the low prices people are not traveling. I really feel bad for the airlines and the cruise lines.

Well Diana, some flights are not cheap. My Tradewind Aviation roundtrip flights from San Juan to St. Barths cost about $1,300.00 round trip per person. United round trip in Business Class from Washington Dulles to San Juan were less per person. I will be relieved when United starts up R/T from Dulles to SXM, which is seasonal and only on Saturday when in their season, does not coincide with St. Barths season.

Jim . . . I encourage you to pursue a more favorable resolution! I suspect that you’ll find some relief from the alternative!

We were suppose to come down from Boston last Saturday for 3 weeks. We decided to hold off one week to see how things developed.... Still on the fence on whether or not to come this Saturday as we are afraid we might have trouble getting back to Boston- Our daughter is pregnant and due the end of the month and we dont want to miss it. Sibarth has been great about rescheduling but we were really looking forward to the trip- Thoughts?

We were suppose to come down from Boston last Saturday for 3 weeks. We decided to hold off one week to see how things developed.... Still on the fence on whether or not to come this Saturday as we are afraid we might have trouble getting back to Boston- Our daughter is pregnant and due the end of the month and we dont want to miss it. Sibarth has been great about rescheduling but we were really looking forward to the trip- Thoughts?

Me thinks a grandchild due very soon would be a deal breaker for us. As I mentioned in another post, it's the potential quarantine piece that further complicates all of this imho. In certain circumstances, the unknowns of a quarantine would be an inconvenience rather than a problem (for example, retired), but with the timing of the due date, it could be a heartbreaking situation. Best of luck with the decision making, and congratulations!!

Jim . . . I encourage you to pursue a more favorable resolution! I suspect that you’ll find some relief from the alternative!

We're doing as much as we can...so far without results. As it stands we will lose the entire cruise fare. I have to see what my options are with the RT air to SJU.

Jim, some airlines are softening their change policies for tickets purchased prior to the Coronavirus outbreak. Even if you checked your airline's policies a few days ago, it is worthwhile to check again. And again. And again.

Jim, some airlines are softening their change policies for tickets purchased prior to the Coronavirus outbreak. Even if you checked your airline's policies a few days ago, it is worthwhile to check again. And again. And again.

Thanks, Kevin...Will do!

Jim,
Are you communicating with the charter people by email? If so, I might suggest phone. Also you might contact say Premium IV and ask for their help. The Ombudsmen at the New York Times, Travel and Leisure Magazine, Wall Street JournalTravel, Conde Nast etc. often have success where we may not as their results are published globally. In this situation to not allow you to at least delay and then having the ship and owner/leasing agent written up unfavorably would be detrimental to their future business.

For CDC purposes, I wonder what is a "long plane trip." Two & a half hours (time from MIA to SJU) = long?