Le Fouquet's

dadto6

Senior Insider
Melissa just conformed our reservation, we are very excited to add the new restaurant onto our dining rotation. Fabulous view overlooking Gustavia harbor.

I’m hoping to hear feedback before we head down in early April. All of our reservations are already booked but I am open to a last-minute switch! So many choices!

Probably receive feedback from others before we dine there on the 26th. I'm with you, hard to decide with so many choices!

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 6.01.02 PM.png

hmmm, lieu-dit Lurin. et non pas Gustavia.

a "lieu-dit" might translate as "hamlet" in english. still, le carl gustaf seems "in town" to me. but, unlike la groupe barriére, I don't own the property . . .

"hamlet" doesn't seem quite right for "lieu-dit" - Pascale???
in st barth there are a lot of areas within the towns and neighborhoods that are referred to as "lieu-dit" - sort of place name....
in Flamands alone there are lieu-dit such as the four paths, the baboon, the sables, etc...

as for the Carl Gustav, they might be better putting something like overlooking Gustavia ?

I wouldn't believe everything I read either but since lieu or hamlet are of equal weight, let's go with lieu...

just saying in SBH the lieu dit are not really hamlets.. or other escapees from shakespearean plays!
more like place names... are neighborhoods within neighborhoods..
I sort of think of a hamlet as a small group of houses isolated someplace....

More like a compound? COnclave? Gated community? So many ways to describe neighborhoods.

I sort of think of a hamlet as a small group of houses isolated someplace....

right, my general concept is "à la campagne" too, but the authoritative CNRTL is happy with it being in town as well.
btw, do we know the "particularité topographique ou historique" attached to Lurin? or toponymie ?

Lieu dans une ville, mais plus généralement à la campagne, qui porte un nom traditionnel rappelant une particularité topographique ou historique. Le prestige qu'avaient pour mon imagination les noms de certains villages ou lieux-dits, ou noms géographiques, qui revenaient souvent dans les propos des buveurs : Bozel, Pralognan-la-Vanoise, − et en général tous les buts d'excursions (Larbaud, Journal,1934, p. 317).Les noms de lieux-dits ou noms de terroirs sont aujourd'hui fixés officiellement par le cadastre (Dauzat1963, p. 218 ds Dor.-Poir. 1975).Prononc. et Orth. : [ljødi]. Au plur. des lieux-dits. Étymol. et Hist. 1874 (Peigné-Delacourt, Topogr. archéol. des cantons de la France, canton de Ribécourt, Oise, Noyon, p. VI ds Littré Suppl.). Composé de lieu[SUP]1[/SUP]* et de dit, part. passé de dire[SUP]1[/SUP]*.

right, my general concept is "à la campagne" too, but the authoritative CNRTL is happy with it being in town as well.
btw, do we know the "particularité topographique ou historique" attached to Lurin? or toponymie ?

Lieu dans une ville, mais plus généralement à la campagne, qui porte un nom traditionnel rappelant une particularité topographique ou historique. Le prestige qu'avaient pour mon imagination les noms de certains villages ou lieux-dits, ou noms géographiques, qui revenaient souvent dans les propos des buveurs : Bozel, Pralognan-la-Vanoise, − et en général tous les buts d'excursions (Larbaud, Journal,1934, p. 317).Les noms de lieux-dits ou noms de terroirs sont aujourd'hui fixés officiellement par le cadastre (Dauzat1963, p. 218 ds Dor.-Poir. 1975).Prononc. et Orth. : [ljødi]. Au plur. des lieux-dits. Étymol. et Hist. 1874 (Peigné-Delacourt, Topogr. archéol. des cantons de la France, canton de Ribécourt, Oise, Noyon, p. VI ds Littré Suppl.). Composé de lieu[SUP]1[/SUP]* et de dit, part. passé de dire[SUP]1[/SUP]*.

interesting as in my example of Flamands, les 4 chemins is where 4 roads cross.... le gouffre is where there is Isle de France, the corner area, then les sables where there are houses on the edge of the beach, and the baboon next to a large rocky outcropping looks like a baboon, and le point, or the far end of the neighborhood... le lagoon as well.. all seem to indeed be descriptive of a geographic place or thing.. and those are all just in Flamands

like coupe gorge in Lorient... or cut throat, a dangerous S curve in the road?