Best Spots to Photograph?

Chilehead

Semi-amateur photographer coming to the island next week, for the second time (left my camera at home for our first visit last year...won’t repeat that omission). Interested to know all of your thoughts as to the best, most interesting, most iconic, most beautiful, most-whatever things or spots to shoot photos of, whether landscapes, sunsets, bars, people, etc.

And thanks to all of you who make this forum happen, with your useful info and insights. I’ve consumed much of your knowledge and it helped us have a great time last time around, and looking forward to next week. You all are a serious asset to all St. Barth visitors!

Thank you Chilehead.
Favorite spots for us include the Rock at the point of Pte. Milou, past Villa Marie at the top of Colombier, coming down from the Gustaf Hotel there is a flat section overlooking the whole harbor, going up out of Gustavia there is a great view of the water and ships out from Public, any sunset or sunrise from anywhere, Jim in another recent thread shared photos from his hike to the Fort...

My advice is to have your camera/phone with you on all road trips..you never know..a view, a critter, a rock, a plant, or a bird. In restaurants a dish that dazzles your eyes and is picture worthy before you have even a bite! And people...everywhere.

For me it's the lower path walk to Colombier. I always feel like I could take a thousand pictures in those 15 (longer if taking pics of course) or so minutes

Some of my favorites from last trip

The overlook of Grand Fond

IMG_2725.jpg

From the Pt. Milou Rock when the sun is high

IMG_1209.jpg

A random shot by the pool at sunset

DSC00877.jpg

There are so many majestic places. Even though we have not done this in years at the top of the road between St. Jean and Lorient if there is still a place to pull over and just witness the splendor of our Island.

Depending on the time of year, sunsets can be grand from Corossol or Public with the short view of, what I like to call, "wave lace" on the shore, mid-view of the boats and close islands ending with the sunset in your longest view into the photograph.

Amateur here as well - these spots are hard to get wrong. All of these are light/time-of-day dependent:

• Pte Milou facing West at dusk, especially after a storm as mentioned above
  • On the hike to/from Columbier, facing Flamands
  • Nikki on Sunday around 430pm, shooting parallel to the beach. Good contrast between calm water and crazy scene inside, plus Eden Rock in the background. I think that fits the definition of iconic.
  • Lorient surfers in the a.m.
  • Natural pools and along the hike there
  • All of the tile art signs that grace every beach
  • Rocky edge of both Saline and Gouverneur on the far (Eastern) edge of the beach
  • Looking down on Gouverneur from the top of the road
  • Gustavia Harbour from above - either the lighthouse or the fort

If you ask nicely some of the villa management companies will let you tour the empty ones - some make for spectacular shots.

When you go out to take pics, let the non-photographer drive - many of the best landscapes are from the road, without places to pull over and park. Just be ready to shoot when you come upon them...

Why not take the lead from the masters? There are (or were) a lot of talented photographers on the island, and they blend the natural beauty of the island well into their work, some of it quite dramatically.

My wife and I are JPP fans, so I'll list him first:
https://jeanphilippepiter.com/

Also some great pictures from the places you'll want to shoot - natural pools, lighthouse, salt pond
http://www.alexandreabela.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions on this topic. Have a blast!

Paul

I guess the answer to the question is everywhere on St Barth is the best spot to photograph!!!

Indeed they did. They GOT IT and both want to come back..and for longer! We all had a ball. Thanks for asking.