WIMCO Policy on Villa Contracts

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
WIMCO, is our host, for the Forum.
WIMCO- What is your policy for those who want to cancel or delayThe Louvre has shut down; flights have been cancelled from the U.S. to Milan, cruise ships have cancelled and more to come. We believe this is a serious flu with a higher mortality rate for those with weak immune systems.
Saint Barthélemy has confirmed cases.
If your clients can’t get to the island and/or want to cancel or delay, we hope your policy is to keep your leasing/renting clients ‘whole.’
Please answer clearly rather than a boilerplate from the contracts.

WIMCO, is our host, for the Forum.
WIMCO- What is your policy for those who want to cancel or delayThe Louvre has shut down; flights have been cancelled from the U.S. to Milan, cruise ships have cancelled and more to come. We believe this is a serious flu with a higher mortality rate for those with weak immune systems.
Saint Barthélemy has confirmed cases.
If your clients can’t get to the island and/or want to cancel or delay, we hope your policy is to keep your leasing/renting clients ‘whole.’
Please answer clearly rather than a boilerplate from the contracts.

You'd have better luck emailing Wimco directly. I don't think they monitor the forum.

Is this question in relation to the Corona Virus or just the flu? I did not know SBH had confirmed cases?

I was actually asking myself this yesterday (not in relation to the current situation). I don’t know what their most recent agreement is, but my older agreement from 2015 had us forfeiting 20% of gross rental fee for cancellation more than 60 days out 30% for 15-59 days out and 100% 14 days or less. They say trips insurance is available, but I have never been offered trip insurance through WIMCO. I assume you must purchase it yourself through a third party.

I also know another villa company who allowed you to cancel more than 60 days out and allow you to apply your deposit to the rental of the same villa within 1 year of original occupancy. This was pre Irma. We took advantage of this policy after Irma (when flying to sbh became extremely difficult). I don’t know if their policy has changed. I was offered trip insurance through this company.

We are scheduled to arrive on 3/12 for 10 nights. Will have to call Wimco in the AM, but I have some concerns. For those of you currently on the island- what’s the current vibe? Has there been a run on bottled water, hand sanitizer etc? Thanks for any feedback!

from what I have heard, a resident tested positive for the coronavirus, I believe he caught the virus from his parents who were visiting him from france. his parents are in the hospital in st. martin, and he is confined to his house in st. barths.

there does not seem to be a panic here at all concerning the virus. I believe you have more of a chance getting a mosquito bite here.

I agree with Dennis, you would need to contact your rental agency as wimco owns this site but does not monitor it.

More people tested positive in NYC than SBH so I guess out of an abundance of caution I should move to SBH!!!!

In all seriousness I don't think one confirmed case would be a reason to allow someone to cancel, but I know very little about their policies on such issues. I'd guess they follow what the airlines do and the airlines I think are only allowing free cancellations to certain areas and during certain time periods and I'm pretty sure SBH isn't one of them. The issue as I see it is not catching the virus on St Barth as much as catching it at the Airport around all of the international travelers on your way

We heard the person of interest was told to quarantine in place upon arriving on the island after traveling in from Italy as a precaution. This information from someone on the island...of course information and stories are varied...
In any case we are planning on going soon, not worried about being on the island..more concerned with the airport travel and hotel stay on San Juan...have stocked up on Purel wipes and 3 ounce bottles of Clorox spray...

We heard the person of interest was told to quarantine in place upon arriving on the island after traveling in from Italy as a precaution. This information from someone on the island...of course information and stories are varied...
In any case we are planning on going soon, not worried about being on the island..more concerned with the airport travel and hotel stay on San Juan...have stocked up on Purel wipes and 3 ounce bottles of Clorox spray...

I don't think that is correct information. The person in isolation at home did not leave the island, his parents came from France and apparently brought it with them and they are hospitalized in St Martin now, according to the newspapers.

I am currently in France, as Rosemond is in the hospital here, and people don't seem overly concerned - a lot of large scale events have been cancelled and Le Louvre is closed, but I ate in a crowded restaurant last night and everyone was having a fine time, lots of cheek kissing as well....

Last night while dining at Maya’s I noticed a lot less cheek kissing and more hip bumps and sole kissing..foot to foot that is.

lets put this in the proper perspective.

coronavirus.jpeg

True, but there is a huge difference and looking at it like that is part of the problem. Those horrible issues are all known quantities and are already fully developed so to speak. As horrible as they are, I'm guessing that a random day 2 months from now will yield the same number of tragic deaths for all of them. The Corona virus, however, is in it's infancy, is an unknown and could turn into a "he told two friends and she told two friends and she told two friends" situation very quickly. One person walking through Grand Central Station could in theory in one minute infect hundreds of people. Those hundreds of people could get on elevators and walk to their offices or get on the subway and each infect hundreds more. That's thousands infected in one morning on the commute to work alone. In a few days time it could become hundreds of thousands and then millions just from that one person. The other big issue is there aren't a lot of short term precautions to take to prevent cancer this week, while as the picture states, something as simple as washing your hands or refraining from touching your eyes, nose and mouth could keep one from contracting the corona virus. The goal isn't to portray it as the worst thing in the world today, but rather to do all we can to minimize the impact and keep it near the bottom of that list. If people bury their heads in the sand it will undoubtedly become a world wide pandemic. But, if people take it seriously and take preventative actions where possible, perhaps it stays under control and years from now is just looked at as another bird flu/SARS/etc type of virus.

Hopefully, the majority of the the world’s population are taking all necessary health/sanitary precautions. It’s a scary situation for everyone, and the fear of the unknown...no one likes that. But, life does go on and we will all have to manage it one day at a time. It’s common sense.

I had posted in the Main Forum and then noticed this thread. As of this afternoon, our Wimco rep states that their cancellation policy remains unchanged . We are scheduled to travel to St Barth in mid April.

Hopefully, the majority of the the world’s population are taking all necessary health/sanitary precautions. It’s a scary situation for everyone, and the fear of the unknown...no one likes that. But, life does go on and we will all have to manage it one day at a time. It’s common sense.
Well put :up:

Hopefully, the majority of the the world’s population are taking all necessary health/sanitary precautions...

Unfortunately, the percentage that even can is not that great a majority...

Progress on household drinking water, sanitation and hygiene 2000-2017 (UNICEF/WHO 2019):

• 3 billion people (~40% of world population) still lacked basic handwashing facilities at home: 1.6 billion had limited facilities lacking soap or water, and 1.4 billion had no facility at all.

• Nearly three quarters of the population of 60 Least Developed Countries lacked handwashing facilities with soap and water.

• In 51 out of 82 countries with disaggregated data, basic handwashing coverage among the richest wealth quintile was at least twice as high as coverage among the poorest quintile.

The report also provides data on basic sanitation (e.g., toilet facilities) and clean water availability.