Tipping Villa Housekeeper??

Jeanette

Senior Insider
Hello everyone. We check out tomorrow and would like to leave an appropriate tip for our lovely maid this week. I tried searching the forum for the recommended amount and the results came up blank. Could someone please give guidance for a 3-bedroom villa rental for one week?

I would leave ten euros a day for a 3 bedroom. when I managed a villa most people left 50 euros for the week regardless of how many bedrooms that they rented so the minimum should be 50 euros. hope that helps.

Thanks, Diana. That helps a lot. We've been told everything this week. The villa owner suggested 300-400 euros and then somebody said 10 euros/bedroom/day based on previous forum posts.

you're welcome Jeanette, 300 to 400 euros per week would make one happy housekeeper. but I managed a villa for over 8 years, and the best tip that the maid received was 100 euros for the week, and the maid was very happy with that by the way.

Hello Jeanette,
We leave 10 Euro per day per bedroom which would equal 210 Euro for the week in your case, if it were me.

We use 1 out of 2 rooms and tip 10 euros a day. We always get a great merci. Plus we leave any extra liquor ;)

We having been staying in the same 2 bedroom villa for several years, while occupying only 1 of the bedrooms. We have always left 10 euros per day...and a bottle of red when we leave.

Do you typically tip your housekeeper at the end of your visit only? This was our first full day today and she did not take the tip we left her by our bedside in our Villa. That’s quite the opposite from the restaurant waiters haha!

@jason You might just leave a note with her name on it and a simple THANKS so she knows it is meant for her.

Our maids on this island have been of fine character and I don’t think they would presume it was for themselves. In person with a smile, even better!

We also tip 10 euros per day (two of us) and if she does some of our laundry, we tip another 10-15 euros. Many times they take it home and use their own washer/dryer.

We were just there 16 nights. We left 10 euros per day in one big envelope on our last day. Even though we didn’t have her Sunday’s we included those days as extra tip. She was lovely and left us fresh cut flowers every few days.

@jason You might just leave a note with her name on it and a simple THANKS so she knows it is meant for her.

Our maids on this island have been of fine character and I don’t think they would presume it was for themselves. In person with a smile, even better!
Yes, without a note they would assume you just left it out accidentally, especially since most of us leave it until the end. One of the things we like to do is share a glass of champagne with the maid and get to know her. Since we are in France it is proper to drink champagne at any time of day!

Never run across a house cleaner hustling for tips nor too many waiters seeking same. Want to link Andy Hall's advise relating to tips. When on vacation and real life, level of service by the house cleaner and others should correlate to one's perception of service received.