Coronavirus information

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many numbers and reports and charts out there. I suspect the issue is that the CDC will be much slower to update their numbers. The media will immediately report as they hear but the CDC probably does a little more verifying. What that entails, I don't know, maybe waiting for a coroner report or some other test results that the person did not die of something else even though infected? I think it is safe to believe the death in California as widely as it is being reported. Perhaps a few of these media reports will end up "misreporting" a coronavirus death here and there, but I think they are certainly much more timely than the CDC and accurate enough that they can be believed. If CBS reports my co-worker is infected, you can be sure I'm not waiting for the CDC to confirm it before leaving the office.

ADC30606-634D-478E-9942-402C328FB571.jpeg

pas de changement aujourd’hui.

bon.

Bill . . . perhaps that’s an assessment that one might make — sounds reminiscent of a “hunch” about the issue. I’m sorry to say so, but I also think that there’s some insensitivity in equating the virus to “for almost all it is nothing but a flu.” How about others for whom it is more than nothing but a flu?

Another thread on the Forum says the patient should soon be out of quarantine- is now testing negative.
Yesterday we learned of a case here in Indianapolis and another in Sarasota, Fl.

Bill . . . perhaps that’s an assessment that one might make — sounds reminiscent of a “hunch” about the issue. I’m sorry to say so, but I also think that there’s some insensitivity in equating the virus to “for almost all it is nothing but a flu.” How about others for whom it is more than nothing but a flu?

Of course its not the flu for anyone.. Mr. Uninformed strikes again.

Can everyone just be kind and let anyone that has an opinion on this coronavirus be able to post their thoughts without getting such negative feedback? I believe people are in a panic about this virus and panic never helps any situation. be informed, wash your hands, there really is not much else you can do.

be kind.jpg

:up::up:

Health is a serious issue. It is only a minor issue when it is someone else’s body. Good health and good care matter.

Communication with FACTS is the most important thing we can contribute to this discussion. Fear and misinformation make this serious situation worse. This situation does not call for opinions. It it not helpful.

Listen to your local medical team, local and state health officials, the experts at NIH (Dr Fauci) and CDC (Dr Bix) for the most up to date information. The Johns Hopkins website is also an excellent place for information. The information Kevin is posting is also an excellent resource.

As an oncology nurse at Duke, we have not changed our practices during this situation. We have had visitor restrictions in place since December when our flu numbers started to increase. I do see more hand sanitizer stations at the entrances to the hospital and clinic buildings. NO masks! We are treating our patients and staying calm. My clinic has not seen a decrease in patient appointments and I have received very few messages from patients about cancellations. Hand washing for 20 seconds and use paper towels to dry your hands. Stop using hand towels!

As an employee, administration has now implemented new travel conditions- no travel to the level 2/3 countries, all international travel must be registered with our international travel office, any person returning from travel and has flu like symptoms must self quarantine for 14 days and must clear employee health before returning to work. The clinic buildings are locked down from 6p-6a. For employees a fever is 100.3 - that is new

Use good common sense! If you don’t feel well stay home and contact your primary care doctor. If your health team offers tele-medicine use that instead of going to the clinic or urgent care. Make sure you have a supply of your prescription drugs. At some point the supply chain for medications is going to be disrupted. We saw this after hurricane Maria, with IV supplies from Puerto Rico.

If I receive any further information from our administration I will share. Enjoy the weekend!

Charlotte

Should those of us traveling to the island in the next couple of weeks think twice about going

We are also going next week despite everything.. I'm more worried about catching something in the airport or plane or subways at home. But we will clean down our seat area the best we can with gloves, possibly bring along n95 masks for the flight- uncertain if we will use them though. However, hoping the plane won't be fully booked..

Better to die living life than to die afraid to live!

We are also going next week despite everything.. I'm more worried about catching something in the airport or plane or subways at home. But we will clean down our seat area the best we can with gloves, possibly bring along n95 masks for the flight- uncertain if we will use them though. However, hoping the plane won't be fully booked..

Better to die living life than to die afraid to live!

i'm worried of the people who have suddenly woken up and wash their hands.... have you not been washing your hands before? flu season in NYC is all about washing hands... actually living in NYC is all about washing hands....

I would point out nonetheless, for a bit of perspective, we just passed 20,000 flu related deaths in US this season. 2,000 in last week alone.
Flu not a walk in the park either.

In terms of influenza, the pandemic influenzas of 1957 and 1968 have been cited by Dr. Fauci and others as potential comparables for what is still developing with this coronavirus outbreak. (For the distinctions between pandemic and seasonal influenza, look here.)

The 1957 influenza pandemic had estimated numbers of deaths of 1.1 million worldwide and 116,000 in the United States.

The 1968 influenza pandemic had estimated numbers of deaths of 1 million worldwide and about 100,000 in the United States.

...at least we're not using 1918 as a reference point...

(numbers are not meant as predictions, just as points of reference that indicate why this outbreak is getting so much attention...)

Can everyone just be kind and let anyone that has an opinion on this coronavirus be able to post their thoughts without getting such negative feedback? I believe people are in a panic about this virus and panic never helps any situation. be informed, wash your hands, there really is not much else you can do.

View attachment 51767

Agree didier. Thank for the kindness reminder.

The upside is for those who hold to your travel plans- think how nice it will be on the island with less traffic, more parking availability, quicker in and out at the bakery, gas station and supermarche and an excess supply of Ott and Champagne!

Status
Not open for further replies.