Coronavirus information

Status
Not open for further replies.

andynap

Senior Insider
News & Updates Relating To Coronavirus, Covid-19 In The Caribbean
Including official government updates about the presence of Covid-19 in the Caribbean islands, and the preventative steps being taken to limit its spread."

Are being consolidated on this SBHonline page.

72F7AF59-054E-460F-AFDB-250695D692DA.jpeg

06808912-CAE0-4915-B21F-2F368649FFA3.jpeg

F5B66B34-A511-4EDB-B3AD-A22BF959F9A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a concern on the island with regards to all the cruise ships coming into port...

More about the airports that people fly into to load those cruise ships. SXM and SJU originates many of the cruises.
This just in:

1BD6D2CB-13E4-4C4C-8F71-566F721D6C4E.jpeg

[h=2]CORONAVIRUS : TROIS CAS SUSPECTS EN GUADELOUPE[/h]
28/02/2020

La préfecture de Guadeloupe informe que trois personnes ont appelé le Samu pour être prises en charge, soupçonnant d’être contaminées par le coronavirus Covid 19. L’une d’elles avait séjourné dans une zone à risque. Elles ont été prises en charge au CHU de Guadeloupe selon le protocole en vigueur, jeudi 27 février. Des prélèvements sont en cours d’analyse au centre hospitalier Andrée-Rosemon en Guyane. En attendant les résultats, les trois personnes sont rentrées chez elles et devront y rester jusqu’à la vérification de leur contamination, ou non, par le Covid 19.

Buy Clorox wipes and wipe your seat, armrests and back tray down on the plane.

We've been doing that for years. Add the seat-belt buckle and the air vent adjustment to that list, and keep in mind that the seat-back pocket may be one of the dirtiest places on the plane.

We've been doing that for years. Add the seat-belt buckle and the air vent adjustment to that list, and keep in mind that the seat-back pocket may be one of the dirtiest places on the plane.

My list was not inclusive. I start with the handle on the overhead. I carry a spray bottle of 91 % alcohol for my hands.

i just saw a blurb on TV that there may be a hand sanitizer shortage soon.

We agree preventive measures can only help. The contagious stage is apparently often asymptomatic. If you have any facial hair at all, a mask is open to the air around you. Many of us will contract it and as we understand it, the illness is similar to the flu but the death rate 20 times higher than the flu or approximately 2%.

from CDC website:

Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

...The contagious stage is apparently often asymptomatic...

Please share your source...

from CDC website:

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Google translation:

• Yes. How often is uncertain.

It would not be be surprising if transmission occurring fairly often from asymptomatic or subclinically symptomatic individuals is confirmed but patients are clearly "contagious", and likely much more so, when more severely symptomatic. I suspect Hopper may have misunderstood or misstated something such as this...

I could imagine an infected person who is not sneezing or coughing, spewing respiratory goop, placing his/her hands to his/her mouth or nose then shaking someone’s hand or touching a surface, shortly after touched by someone else, and thereby spreading the virus.

Please share your source...

It would not be be surprising if transmission occurring fairly often from asymptomatic or subclinically symptomatic individuals is confirmed but patients are clearly "contagious", and likely much more so, when more severely symptomatic. I suspect Hopper may have misunderstood or misstated something such as this...
Fact check is good.

I could imagine an infected person who is not sneezing or coughing... spreading the virus.

Expect uncertainty regarding presymptomatic or asymptomatic contagiousness to play a big role in upcoming "discussiions" about social distancing especially regarding school closures and workplace modifications/closures in the coming weeks... the role in spreading the virus played by children, who have been less frequently (but more frequently than what the initial Wuhan/Hubei data suggested) and less severely affected, will certainly be debated in regard to school closures... decisions will need to be made on very incomplete information...

China's aggressive social distancing policies that included regional lockdowns, school and business closures, etc. can't remain in place indefinitely (there is still benefit to slowing spread down though) and might be more difficult to apply in the US... or St Barth...

Fact check is good.

With only 24 hours in a day, having a year with 366 days can come in handy...

Status
Not open for further replies.