Taking a 7yo to SBH

steelpe

SBH Insider
My wife and I are entertaining the idea another trip to SBH. If this trip happens it will be our 4[SUP]th[/SUP] trip to the island. Our previous 3 trips we have visited the island by ourselves. This trip we would more than likely be bringing our currently 6yo daughter (she may be 7 at the time of the visit depending on when we go).

I asked the question a few years ago regarding acceptance of children in restaurants. Everyone responded with a yes.

My next question in regards to menu options. I don’t seem to remember seeing a kids specific menu at any restaurant we have gone to. Are there any specific menu’s for children at restaurants?

Also, is it frowned upon to split your meal with a child, say order a few things and eat family style?

She isn’t overly a picky eater. She is open to trying new things (mostly). So I am pretty sure we will find some luck in finding something she would eat. However, we are not really interested in spending 50 euros on an entrée than she takes 3 bites of and says she is full (then I have to try to eat it to get my money’s worth😊)

Restaurants we may plan to visit may include Eddy’s, Black Ginger, Tamerin and L’Espirit…. We may even try to set reservations to restaurants we know she will like things on the menu.

Any information would be helpful.

Will not be a problem. Add Bananiers, Maya’s,Santa Fe and QG to your list...have seen kids at all. Happy kids.

We’ve brought our 3 when they were 8, 6, and 2 and also when they were 12, 10, and 6, and it’s never been a problem. They are begging to go back. Tamarin was fantastic; Bonito also had kids’ menu ($$$ but perfect); had good luck with Bananiers, Eddy’s, QC, and Le Repaire. L’Isola was less kid friendly and too expensive for what it is in our experience. But we are in Chicago so plenty of great Italian to be found at home. L’Isoletta would probably have been a better choice. They also really liked Shellona and Victoria and the Creperie of course.

We have found every restaurant child friendly. Isola will make a pasta with whatever sauce you want. The attitude in general on the island is flexibility as the proprietors understand their business is virtually 100% tourism. Ask for things not on the menu such as hamburger, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, chicken fingers... The chefs will do their best to satisfy your little one.
Bon Voyage!

When CHARLIE was here at age almost 8 he tried escargot and frog legs at Santa Fe. He loved Creperie and Andy’s Hideaway. Tom Beach and never missed a meal. Loved going to bakeries to pick out breakfast fare.

Thank you for the help (this website is always helpful).

I think we understand that there a plenty of options on the island including making dinners at the villa. I believe if we do attempt the trip we would be looking to only slightly modify our routine of beach, lunch at the villa, lounging at the villa, dinner out, sleep, repeat. We always try to add in a few new restaurants into the mix every trip. Eddy's has been on the list since our first trip in 2011.

The added airfare is a tough nut to swallow and really puts a dent into the budget. So we may end up choosing restaurants that are a little more wallet friendly. Sharing an entree with her is an options as well.

Thank you for the help (this website is always helpful).

I think we understand that there a plenty of options on the island including making dinners at the villa. I believe if we do attempt the trip we would be looking to only slightly modify our routine of beach, lunch at the villa, lounging at the villa, dinner out, sleep, repeat. We always try to add in a few new restaurants into the mix every trip. Eddy's has been on the list since our first trip in 2011.

The added airfare is a tough nut to swallow and really puts a dent into the budget. So we may end up choosing restaurants that are a little more wallet friendly. Sharing an entree with her is an options as well.

The sweet little face beside me in my avatar and I shared entrees at several places during our first trip together in 2018; she was 11 at the time. She also sampled everything she could and discovered that risotto is her new favorite food. One of her favorite spots for risotto was La Repaire. She also enjoyed L'Isoletta (pizza), Les Jardins (croque monsieur), JoJo Burger/Le Select (cheeseburger), Bananiers (pizza), QG (shrimp) and Black Ginger (pad thai). She discovered that despite how delicious it was, she will never eat duck or lamb again. She's a big veggie eater; she had salads with most meals.

I don't think your young one will go hungry. There are always pre-made sandwiches at the Marche's and Boulangeries.

We also had our three year old granddaughter in Sante Fe and Gran de Sel as well as a number of the above mentioned restaurtants and did very well

We have taken our children and our grandchildren many times. Everyone always enjoys their time in Paradise. In three weeks, I will be there for the Bucket with my 6-year old Granddaughter. Her second trip to St. Barts. First trip she was 4. She is very excited to return.

We have taken our granddaughter 4 times when she was 5,6,7 and 8.
A couple of tips. We would feed her before we went out, she loves veggies and healthy foods. Then we were assured she would not be “starving” while we had a cocktail and looked over the menu. Sometimes we would get a children’s entree but mostly a plate to share our meal. No dessert sharing, she always wants her own profiterole!

My kids love SBH! Our most recent visit they were 6 and 8 and with a little planning dining out is easy. QG was a favorite (buttered noodles for only 4 euro), and Victoria was also a big hit. Creperie, L'Isoletta, Le Piment, and Le Grain de Sel are all also very kid friendly. Bonito has a kid's menu but we've never taken them. I believe Tamarin also has a kid's menu. Sometimes we feed them first and let them get dessert, which of course is their favorite option. If your daughter isn't overly picky, you'll have no problem at all. I never got the impression the kids weren't welcome, either.

The airfare is hard to swallow but there's something so special about seeing them experience SBH it makes it all worth it.

Echoing what others have said. My son and daughter have been eight times from when they were 2 and 5. Bagatelle, Victoria, and a few others are a good option as they have outdoor seating (along the harbor where there is more traffic) so when they would get especially chatty or watching something on an iPad no-one took notice. Probably most wouldn't care anyway but I felt better about it. And they have pizza mixed into the menu so that made dining easier. Noodles at Eddy's were a favorite. But now they're young adults and ordering off the full menu...careful what you start, it's not just the airfare that gets expensive:biglaugh:

Our daughter is now 17 and we have been bringing her to SBH each year since she was about 8. Never had any
issues with food- she has always been able to find things on the menu wherever we go.

Our children now 5 & 6 just came back (two weeks ago) from their 4th trip to the island - lucky kids, I know.

We've had much success eating out with both an adventurous eater (son) and picky eater (daughter). For fine dining I would say that Tamarin has the best children's menu. Most other restaurants always have staples - pasta, fish, chopped steak (basically a burger). If they don't have a specific children's menu, they are always accommodating. Things like chicken fingers can be harder to find but a few places have them. Below is a list of restaurants we dined this trip and had no issues:

Tamarin (large children's menu)

Black Ginger (asian noodles or plain. Son LOVES their dumplings. Wanted to go back)

Eden Rock - Sand Bar (many options including delicious pizza)

Santa Fe (no specific children's menu but they have sandwiches and can make pasta. Another favorite spot for octopus for my son)

Shellona (extensive menu and options. Chicken finger like option)

Maya's (no specific children's menu but very accommodating and children friendly. One of my children usually falls asleep and they push two chairs together and make a bed for them. Very sweet)

Zion (no specific children's menu but server/kitchen accommodating and asked upon arrival what the children would like to eat)

Eddy's (a few options for children, recommend the asian noodles)

Cantina (tapas so there were definitely a few things my children would eat)

Lil' Rock (children's menu)

Fish Corner (great food but no specific children's menu. Our son loves their octopus - daughter eats french fries and rice for lunch this day. lol. Wouldn't pass up Fish Corner - too delicious)

Nikki Beach (extensive menu)

JoJo Buger (a lot of options)

Le Bouchon (a lot of options including chicken fingers)

We didn't go to Bananiers this trip but always a solid bet with kids - pizza. We've done Bonito twice with the kids in the past and they have a cool bento box for the children, provide a lovely coloring book and pencils but... for 40 euro per child, we decided to pass this year. We've done the restaurant at Le Barthelemy before and they had a lot of options for children as does Cheval Blanc. Hotels are always prepared for children.

We left the kids home with a sitter for Orega and Le Esprit ;)

Enjoy the trip. Our children absolutely love the island and cry when we have to leave!

Thank you for this up to the minute listing. I am sure it will help folks with little travelers in their party.

Our children now 5 & 6 just came back (two weeks ago) from their 4th trip to the island - lucky kids, I know.

We've had much success eating out with both an adventurous eater (son) and picky eater (daughter). For fine dining I would say that Tamarin has the best children's menu. Most other restaurants always have staples - pasta, fish, chopped steak (basically a burger). If they don't have a specific children's menu, they are always accommodating. Things like chicken fingers can be harder to find but a few places have them. Below is a list of restaurants we dined this trip and had no issues:

Tamarin (large children's menu)

Black Ginger (asian noodles or plain. Son LOVES their dumplings. Wanted to go back)

Eden Rock - Sand Bar (many options including delicious pizza)

Santa Fe (no specific children's menu but they have sandwiches and can make pasta. Another favorite spot for octopus for my son)

Shellona (extensive menu and options. Chicken finger like option)

Maya's (no specific children's menu but very accommodating and children friendly. One of my children usually falls asleep and they push two chairs together and make a bed for them. Very sweet)

Zion (no specific children's menu but server/kitchen accommodating and asked upon arrival what the children would like to eat)

Eddy's (a few options for children, recommend the asian noodles)

Cantina (tapas so there were definitely a few things my children would eat)

Lil' Rock (children's menu)

Fish Corner (great food but no specific children's menu. Our son loves their octopus - daughter eats french fries and rice for lunch this day. lol. Wouldn't pass up Fish Corner - too delicious)

Nikki Beach (extensive menu)

JoJo Buger (a lot of options)

Le Bouchon (a lot of options including chicken fingers)

We didn't go to Bananiers this trip but always a solid bet with kids - pizza. We've done Bonito twice with the kids in the past and they have a cool bento box for the children, provide a lovely coloring book and pencils but... for 40 euro per child, we decided to pass this year. We've done the restaurant at Le Barthelemy before and they had a lot of options for children as does Cheval Blanc. Hotels are always prepared for children.

We left the kids home with a sitter for Orega and Le Esprit ;)

Enjoy the trip. Our children absolutely love the island and cry when we have to leave!

This is wonderful up to date information. You hit on a lot of locations we plan on visiting. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I would love to get a sitter but the Mrs is insistent on not getting one. She is scared that someone is going to hurt/steal her baby.... After living with her for 6 years I am pretty sure the sitter would be the one running away after being with her for a few hours.