Marché U J-5 avant l'ouverture !

My son reports a chaotic start of business with parking confusion and self checkout that took manager intervention at every step. Reminds me of our new Whole Foods opening in VA :D I’ll check it out personally later today.

From their FB post a picture of the red carpet opening day!

D941F43E-4CBE-471F-8E87-E2116917C598.jpg

My understanding, and I'm not sure now where I read/heard it, is that they will have more lanes, some self-checkout, but fewer cashiers. Let's see what JEK reports after his visit. Hopefully it will have smoothed out since his son's visit this morning.

Parking on the roof??? I know where I would be during an emergency, that building isn't going anywhere. Only problem they will need to deal with is floods , and I'm guessing they are at a good elevation to fend those off as well (or maybe a landslide)... Although, the visible steel frames is a little surprising.

I stopped by today. the store seems smaller than the old store. the aisles were larger. the one thing I did like were the 8 self check out registers. I was in and out fast. took my camera, nothing special to take a pic of.

Well, the visit was an experience.

On the way in one turns before (headed down the hill from the roundabout) the old U and airport parking overflow. The admonishment of no curb/sidewalk parking was NOT heeded which caused delays in and out on the new access road (see photo 5 above).

Had to wait for one of the 78 spots on the roof (only a few minutes) and the down the escalator - which is very novel for the young of Saint Barth!

Once inside the place is laid out roughly along the lines of the old place, so finding things is rather easy. Larger asiles and taller shelves all brightly lit and full of stock. A butcher was busy chopping at his station and the booze selection appeared to be enhanced. Seemed like more prepared food which was nicely presented. 6 or so attended checkout lines and then two banks of self check stations. Weighing stations for produce just before self check was in multiple languages. Being a glutton for punishment I decided to test self check. Only took a manager assist to reset the device with a key (twice) and we were on our way. WAIT ONE MORE MANAGER NEEDED — receipt barcode needed to open the holding pen from self check to the free world.

Making the left to go back the hill at five o’clock was final interesting challenge.

With time this will all be the new normal, but I suspect the 78 parking spots will always be a challenge. As the images Kevin posted indicate there are a few undercover spots on the way in as part of the building, some handicap reserved.

Expect bollards to sprout from the access road sidewalk soon.

I am pleased that I invested in the bollard fabrication facility. It is paying dividends. Just scored a new contract for 30-bollards at the new U :wink2: