One Day of Travel

PIV put us up at the Atrium when we arrived one time after dark. They took us there and picked us up the next morning. Use their service and you’ll either end up in SBH as planned, or in a decent place to sleep with a spot on the first flight to SBH the next morning. You have enough time to make your flight unless you’re delayed by a lot.

Is Tradewinds not an option due to price? You could leave Austin at 5:45 am and be on the ground in Barths at 3:30 pm

It would be rather pricey to change to travel through SJU and then on to SBH via Tradewinds. There would be change fees with American that would probably be $300, maybe more, not to mention the higher level of miles I would have to use to rebook on other flights at this somewhat late date. Plus, we would have to "burn" our SXM to SBH Winair tickets that are already purchased and not refundable. One could argue that those expenses would not be that much more than a hotel room in SXM, but at least the having to buy a hotel room for one night is not a certain cost to be incurred whereas making a flight change now would be a certain cost. Our best bet may be hoping that if the AA flight is late into SXM, it is REALLY late (three hours or more) so we can attempt to make a claim under our travel insurance.

This past November, we had a travel delay which caused us to overnight in SXM due to United airplane mechanical. We stayed at the Sonesta Maho Resort. I thought it was nice enough, recently renovated since Irma. The staff was kind. The bed was comfortable, room good size and tidy bathroom. It was very convenient to the airport, only couple minutes by taxi. If we were to be delayed again, I would stay at Sonesta in the future however, hope we are not delayed again. 1st time to overnight in SXM in 16-trips is not a bad average.

Thank you very much for this feedback. It will be helpful to share with my wife who is not thrilled about staying at the Sonesta Maho Resort after last doing so pre-hurricane when it was less than a pleasant experience for her (it was fine with me, but my tolerance level is a little higher).

Another option is St. Barth's Services. Like Premium, they will either get you on a flight or ferry or find a hotel in St. Maarten for you. Excellent services and great people!