All you frequent flyers have your October star?

JEK

Senior Insider
D7B7A9AF-1693-4DF3-8004-E267BD98A8C3.jpg

Not yet, but I have never used a drivers license to board a plane, I have a passport and a passport card.. those will still work, as far as I understand.

Not yet, but I have never used a drivers license to board a plane, I have a passport and a passport card.. those will still work, as far as I understand.

Some of us would rather travel lighter(sans passport) when flying domestic, but you are correct.

If I do not have a REAL ID compliant credential, what can I use to board a domestic air flight beginning October 1, 2020?The Transportation Security Administration indicates that it will accept the following identification documents:
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Right now DMV in NY is a disaster due to the new licenses combined with the policy change allowing for immigrant licenses. The resulting lines have been pretty bad. On top of that we had our Global entry rejected (like anyone else from NY who recently applied) because both our President and Governor govern by ego first and worry about their constituents second or is it third...maybe fourth...

Right now DMV in NY is a disaster due to the new licenses combined with the policy change allowing for immigrant licenses. The resulting lines have been pretty bad. On top of that we had our Global entry rejected (like anyone else from NY who recently applied) because both our President and Governor govern by ego first and worry about their constituents second or is it third...maybe fourth...

I agree with denying global entry to new york state residents, there was no other choice since this is the only state that gives undocumented immigrants drivers licenses, its called a green light law. new york also would not allow government agencies such as global entry to do background checks so global entry had their hands tied, they have to do background checks, that is how it works, they had no choice but to deny all new york state residents. no background checks, no global entry.

you are right jek, there are a number of states allowing drivers licenses for unauthorized immigrants, however, I believe the other states are allowing background checks for the global entry program.

It's a pissing contest...NY apparently has already offered alternatives to allow for access just related to the global entry program and also has shown where the information being requested is available from other sources, yet still the denials went out. Both sides can pretend they aren't at fault or that "there was no other choice" but both sides would be lying and are using NY residents as pawns because both only care about themselves and need to get their way on everything. Want more proof? The President made sure to tell the Governor to leave "Fredo" behind when he comes to discuss it and Cuomo's idea was to sue the Federal Govt...again...

I agree with denying global entry to new york state residents, there was no other choice since this is the only state that gives undocumented immigrants drivers licenses, its called a green light law. new york also would not allow government agencies such as global entry to do background checks so global entry had their hands tied, they have to do background checks, that is how it works, they had no choice but to deny all new york state residents. no background checks, no global entry.

Diana, don't believe what you're hearing. As a NY resident, my son is not able to get his Global Entry approved (which I already paid for) because of this fiasco and I did some research. The federal government already has access to criminal records (far more than the state of NY does). NY is not denying government agencies access to do background checks on NY residents. All New York is denying is access to Department of Motor Vehicle records which could show a DUI or other traffic offense. Since NY doesn't require citizenship for licenses, it would be a way to flag undocumented citizens and put them at risk for deportation.

Diana, don't believe what you're hearing. As a NY resident, my son is not able to get his Global Entry approved (which I already paid for) because of this fiasco and I did some research. The federal government already has access to criminal records (far more than the state of NY does). NY is not denying government agencies access to do background checks on NY residents. All New York is denying is access to Department of Motor Vehicle records which could show a DUI or other traffic offense. Since NY doesn't require citizenship for licenses, it would be a way to flag undocumented citizens and put them at risk for deportation.
And NY offered to give that access for people applying for global entry

if global entry cannot get your records from the dmv in new york, should they just take your word for it that you don't have a dui? you can be denied a global entry if you have have had a dui.

If you already have global entry this will not have any effect on you if you are already in the program. you just cannot re-new the global entry if you live in new york or apply for a new global entry. I know this is frustrating, but all that new york has to do is make their dmv information available like every other state does to government agencies.

The lines here in Chicago have been crazy for a few months now, and I suspect will only get worse as October approaches. For now, will be using my Passport Card and/or my Global Entry card until the lines get better.

In Illinois, the wait seems to average about three hours. Unfortunately in our family of five, we all have expiring licenses, so we've decided to bite the bullet and put up with the lines. We all have GE cards, but will get the Real ID as well so we don't have to carry both cards to travel. Son's wait during a college/holiday break was 3.5 hours arriving at DMV opening, husband's was 2.75 hours with mid-afternoon arrival, my poor 85 yo mother waited 4 hours and then had to return because the "system" was down (and couldn't take the photo), our daughters and I have yet to go but will get the Real ID since we have to renew anyway.

Real ID application documents can be submitted online, DHS says

By Luz Lazo
Feb. 20, 2020 at 6:20 p.m. EST

The Department of Homeland Security will allow states to accept documents for Real ID applications electronically, streamlining the process for millions of Americans to obtain the credential that come fall will be needed to pass through airport security checkpoints.

Allowing applicants to submit the necessary paperwork online will help expedite service at departments of motor vehicles across the country, officials said. Many state agencies are experiencing long lines and wait times as they scramble to issue new driver’s licenses and ID cards that conform with the federal law that tightens security requirements for state-issued identification.

Beginning Oct. 1, only driver’s licenses and state IDs that meet Real ID requirements will be accepted for boarding commercial flights. Travelers who don’t have a Real ID will need credentials such as a U.S. passport or military ID.

Officials fear that because most travelers today use state-issued identification to board domestic flights, it could be chaotic at U.S. airports come October, if no major progress is made on the issuance of Real IDs.

States have reported that 95 million — about 34 percent — of all driver’s license holders have been issued Real IDs, according to DHS. Two-thirds of the 276 million Americans who have state-issued cards have yet to get their Real ID.

“While progress has been made, the real work is still ahead,” acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf said in a statement.

To obtain one of the new licenses, applicants must present two proofs of residency, such as a utility bill and a bank statement; proof of identity and legal residence in the United States; and a Social Security card. A W-2 form listing a Social Security number is an acceptable alternative to a Social Security card.

Residents who have changed their names from what is on their birth certificate need to provide documentation of the change. For example, a marriage certificate or a court order granting the name change.

The process requires an in-person visit to a DMV office, and people still need to bring the documents with them then.

DHS had announced plans to implement an online option to ease the process. Wolf said the agency is considering “other viable options to improve upon this process and continues doing everything it can to inform Americans on the requirement to obtain a REAL ID before the full enforcement deadline later this year.”

Americans’ readiness for Real ID in doubt as 2020 deadline nears

In a letter sent to states Wednesday, Wolf said that effective immediately, states are permitted to use a secure electronic process to accept applicants’ documents. Even if states implement that pre-submission system, applicants will still be required to make an in-person DMV visit.

“Retaining the information in advance eliminates time-consuming activities associated with the physical scanning and retention of source documents that typically occurs during the applicant’s DMV visit,” Wolf said in the letter. “We understand that this has a direct impact on overall applicant wait times and customer satisfaction. DHS recommends that States consider implementing this option.”

It is unclear if and when individual states will implement the pre-submission option. Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia are issuing Real IDs. Oklahoma and Oregon have not started issuing the credential but are on track to being compliant, according to DHS.

Travel industry groups have been advocating for the option to allow people to submit applications online, saying it would speed the rate of Real ID compliance and mitigate challenges at overburdened DMVs. However, some said they had hoped DHS would also have eliminated the requirement for an in-person visit, which critics say is outdated and unnecessary.

“We applaud DHS for recognizing the need to modernize the REAL ID application process,” Tori Emerson Barnes, executive vice president of public affairs and policy at the U.S. Travel Association, said in a statement. “However, the challenge remains that tens of millions of Americans do not yet possess REAL ID-compliant identification, and we won’t solve this issue by pushing people to the DMV.”

The U.S. Travel Association and other industry groups have been urging DHS to modernize the application process, saying that, without upgrades, tens of thousands of people could be unprepared to board a flight come October.

Do you have questions about Real ID? We’ve got answers.

The Oct. 1 deadline will culminate the implementation of the 2005 domestic security program known as the Real ID Act, which was enacted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to tighten national standards for driver’s licenses and identification cards and overhaul how they are issued and produced. The Real ID was designed to combat forgery and fraud of state-issued documents.

Most states are in the early phases of issuing the credentials, which are generally identifiable by a star in the upper-right corner. As the deadline approaches, DMVs are likely to be overburdened with thousands of applicants.

Research by the travel association last fall found an estimated 99* million citizens do not have a Real ID license or passport. Even more troubling, the group said, a majority of Americans — 57 percent — were not aware that beginning Oct. 1, they would need a Real ID license to board a flight.

“Technology and security have advanced greatly in the nearly 15 years since REAL ID was introduced, and we encourage DHS and Congress to pursue additional policy changes to facilitate Americans’ REAL ID compliancy,” Emerson Barnes said.