pediatrician moves on

andynap

Senior Insider
20200219_181826.jpg
20200219_181848.jpg
20200219_181911.jpg
20200219_181937.jpg

The wife of a long time physician on the island owns the last store in the little shopping center by Nikki on the toward Lorient side. She shared with us how happy her husband has been with his practice. The island definitely has a housing deficit for non 'big villa' owners. It is sad to see the pediatrician couldn't make a go of it on the island.

Without getting too political, I wonder if this is a case where the doctor is not allowed to set market price for his/her services therefore he can not afford to live on the island. I am sure it's a mix of this and other things forcing the decision to leave.

Who would set the price for his/her services, and are his/her prices set at the same rate as a pediatrician in France?

Also, who pays for the medical expenses for the many travelers from the US? Is this something that the French government pays for or the patient pays for with their medical insurance (I am guessing it's the former)?

Without getting too political, I wonder if this is a case where the doctor is not allowed to set market price for his/her services therefore he can not afford to live on the island. I am sure it's a mix of this and other things forcing the decision to leave.

Who would set the price for his/her services, and are his/her prices set at the same rate as a pediatrician in France?

Bonne question. I would imagine an American physician’s income would permit him/her to have a reasonable home on Saint-Barth.

I feel so sorry for this doctor that will only be able to live in Southern France near the Spanish border in a Town over looking the Bay of Biscay...

Perhaps there is more to the story than what is being portrayed. Biarritz as per Wiki (I assume it's somewhat accurate):

Biarritz, an elegant seaside town on southwestern France’s Basque coast, has been a popular resort since European royalty began visiting in the 1800s. It’s also a major surfing destination, with long sandy beaches and surf schools. A symbol of Biarritz, the Rocher de la Vierge is a rocky outcrop topped with a statue of the Virgin Mary. Reached via footbridge, it offers sweeping views of the Bay of Biscay.

Also, who pays for the medical expenses for the many travelers from the US? Is this something that the French government pays for or the patient pays for with their medical insurance (I am guessing it's the former)?

Not sure what your question is exactly about medical expenses for travelers from the US, but the French government does not pay for that... you should make sure your insurance covers you when traveling. Or that you can get reimbursed for any costs incurred at a doctor, hospital or medications. Even with French medical insurance, not all meds are covered anymore and a lot of times only the generic is covered...

IMG_7612.jpeg

"Finalement, elle est parvenue à trouver une maison au terme de six mois de recherche, une situation qui reste toutefois provisoire"

"Finally, she managed to find a house after six months of searching, a situation which however remains provisional."

...per Le Journal article (May 2019) announcing opening of a practice by Dr. Bailly, who was stated to be 30 years old and a recent graduate (fraîchement diplômée).

French pediatrician salaries are stated here to range from 67,200€ - 220,000€ (average: 140,000) with proportions of pediatricians at different levels distributed as shown in the diagram below. These numbers reflect Metropolitan France and pediatricians at different stages of their careers. I do not know what would be expected for a pediatrician in the first year of practice on St Barth. Her prior salary in training would have been lower (31,000€ -55,000€ depending on year of training according to this site).

IMG_7611.jpeg

One can debate how well the resultant financial situation for a new physician, who is also new to the island, would permit one to live on St Barth and still plan for the future.

I see the health providers on island as having to be younger and just starting out in their career and family life. Housing is the biggest challenge. If you need room for kids, you are in an even more difficult position.

It will be a shame to not have older seasoned more experienced staffing here. But I understand their predicament.

95, 700 eu = 104,100 dollars ……………………. I'd be a happy guy to be in the top of the bottom 25%. Wonder what French taxes do to that?