Smoking law enforcement- Non

andynap

Senior Insider
Last week we encountered smoking in every restaurant except Maya’s and the main dining room at Tamarin. I told several servers in various restaurants about the new enforcement and each one said they knew nothing about it.
A trusted source told me that’s well known restauranteur went to the local
police and told them that if the new enforcement were started he would lose all his business as most of his patrons smoke. He was told not to worry as the police are NOT going to start enforcing the law.
I know that enforcement was not to start until now but if it isn’t done I wouldn’t be surprised.

It’s a very sad situation. If people choose to smoke, that is their business. But, do it in a place which doesn’t effect other people, especially in public spaces and restaurants, in particular. It’s a major health concern for everyone, all over the world. Shame on law enforcement and the powers that be on the island. When will these people ever learn? Money talks, I suppose...

Thanks Heaven!!!
I am sick of the Big Gulp dictators!
G

Last week we encountered smoking in every restaurant except Maya’s and the main dining room at Tamarin. I told several servers in various restaurants about the new enforcement and each one said they knew nothing about it.
A trusted source told me that’s well know restauranteur went to the local
police and told them that if the new enforcement were started he would lose all his business as most of his patrons smoke. He was told not to worry as the police are NOT going to start enforcing the law.
I know that enforcement was not to start until now but if it isn’t done I wouldn’t be surprised.

Last week we encountered smoking in every restaurant except Maya’s and the main dining room at Tamarin.

At an adjacent table of 11 young “local” people at Maya’s, six of them just started smoking. No time was wasted in explaining that they could do so only in the garden . . . where they now are enjoying cocktails & cigarettes.

There was no smoking at Zion the night we were there, only out in the garden.... and the place was full. I think it's nonsense that restaurants think they would lose business. They certainly haven't elsewhere... how can they enforce other laws like wearing officially sanctioned driving gloves on a scooter but not that?

There was no smoking at Zion the night we were there, only out in the garden.... and the place was full. I think it's nonsense that restaurants think they would lose business. They certainly haven't elsewhere... how can they enforce other laws like wearing officially sanctioned driving gloves on a scooter but not that?
I agree but how can Le Portugal go smoke free?

If one restaurant obeys the law to the letter, than they may lose a chunk of business to restaurant owners who do not. If they all follow the rules then there won't be much appreciable business loss to anyone. It's not like people can easily run over to Sint Maarten for lunch or dinner every day (assuming that they allow smoking in restaurants there).

Even though the percentage of smokers is heavier in St. Barths, New York went through the same non smoking law. The same complaints surfaced, then once everything settled in no smoking business is flourishing and people are healthier not having to breathe in second hand smoke.

Sad as it may be, and as much as I despise smelling cigarette smoke, it's one of the things we have decided to "ignore" about SBH. Thankfully, this forum has provided a wealth of advice regarding where to go (and when) to avoid dining with smoke, and we have made many decisions on where to eat based on that advice. I have doubts that anything will ever change. Fifteen years ago (has it really been THAT long???) when we lived in Belgium, we used to come home after a night out and immediately disrobe and hang up our clothes outside on the laundry line. I even remember buying a product at the local beauty shops that was basically "Febreeze" for your hair! Thank goodness it isn't that bad on SBH.

since the majority of the police smoke, the enforcement may not happen until the next generation comes along.