Bar de L’Oubli

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
I am not a French speaker. We have always made Le Select one of our destinations- maybe because of the 2.50 Euro Le Ti Punches? And of course enjoying a cheeseburger and frites.
We pass by Bar De L’Oubli on the way and have done this for years. Yesterday I asked my wife for a translation- ‘Bar of Forgetfulness’ or where your worries go away for a brief time. A wonderful name for a iconic locale in the heart of Gustavia.
Ouanalao.

On N'Oublie Rien...

On n'oublie rien de rien On n'oublie rien du tout On n'oublie rien de rien On s'habitue c'est tout...

We don’t forget anything about anything We forget nothing at all We don’t forget anything about anything We get used to it, that’s all...
is how Brel is translated here...

I always translated it as “the forgotten bar” as in everyone knows the one across the street

I always translated it as “the forgotten bar” as in everyone knows the one across the street
I thought the same, but when shown a coaster I brought back, my French teacher translated it as "bar of the lost ones" or "lost souls". Makes sense, since the "Oubli" is preceded by an article. To be "forgotten bar", the "oublie" would follow the noun "bar".

I thought the same, but when shown a coaster I brought back, my French teacher translated it as "bar of the lost ones" or "lost souls". Makes sense, since the "Oubli" is preceded by an article. To be "forgotten bar", the "oublie" would follow the noun "bar".

maybe. Searching the most exhaustive of French dictionaries at my disposal, I find no use of the word that you refer to.
my best guess would be something like The Oblivion Bar.
i of course defer to native speakers.

maybe. Searching the most exhaustive of French dictionaries at my disposal, I find no use of the word that you refer to.
my best guess would be something like The Oblivion Bar.
i of course defer to native speakers.

what she said ( moi ) scroll up. lol

The Corner Bar as we refer to it, is our go to place for happy hour and people watching. Service is always good and relaxed and we often end up making new friends there. Just another place which makes the island so special.

When we first traveled it was Le Select or nothing! Would not even think of eating or hanging across the street. One day Le Select was bursting with people could not get a table and could not get Francis attention for beers. Walked across the street and was pleasantly delighted. Visit there once per vacation. Service and ambiance amazing. And of course the wings...

We had no idea starting this thread that L’Oubli was so popular. Le Select, Laurent Effel or other places have always been our destinations- L’Oubli has been just something we passed. Thank you for your positive reviews- next time we are on the island, it will be a stop for us.