Le Repaire last night

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Translation- The Haunt or Lair-
Eric (Sounds like a Hideaway) and his team offer consistently good food, service and prices year after year.
Our servers were Clovis- Eric’s son and Lea- both excellent.
I had the butternut squash soup and my bride the ricotta cheese, avocado and salmon- all in a glass with a green salad. They were both specials as starters. For me Steak Tartare and my wife the filet with Bernaise. As always- tartare was perfect and my wife dreams about the Bernaise at Repaire.
Me- Pellegrino as I had to drivehome and Rose for my better half.
If the Poached Pear is offered as a special dessert- run don’t walk to enjoy it.
Eric, the owner, said he started Repaire 29 years ago- 1991. Clovis was 2 going on 3 years old. Clovis worked at Isle de France, l’Esprit, and helped out at Bagatelle before Repaire.
We asked about his ordeals during Irma- He told us he was ‘camped out’ in a friend’s home in Petite Cul de Sac. For the first three hours- the worst part for them- he and othere literally held on to the front door. It stayed put. During the eye (45 minutes) they ran over to the garage and secured boards, hammer and nails to secure the door further. The next three hours were easier in contrast to the other side of the island. However, Clovis said, there was one ‘blast’ of wind, that literally bent the roof from concave to convex. The family thought their time on earth could be done. Fortunately, the roof held and all was ok.
On a different subject, I am burying this note at the bottom of this long post. A Mexican- Peruvian restaurant will open at the beginning of next season in a very nice location. I promised one of the proprietors no more details would be shared. Kevin, is always the first to know, and when the news is let out, I am certain he will share it with us.

I have to laugh. Someone just said to me YOU KNOW WHAT THIS ISLAND NEEDS? A MEXICAN RESTAURANT. So help me, a true story.....

Tamarin too for great Bernaise. I used to have Meat & Potatoes in the number 1 spot for Bernaise

Just up in Charleston SC for couple nites, had great steak at Oak with wonderful bearnaise & truffled frites along with lovely cab called Sabotage.

Wish we would have gone Bob. We couldn’t put Meat and Potatoes together with cuisine we are used to on the island. Our loss.

I Agree with Bob, Bill, you missed out on a good one. As Phil says, So Many Restaurants, So Little Time!