Exchange Rate: What Am I Missing Here?

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
151 euros would be about $162...not $196.

P1230125.jpg

You should ask for all credit card charges to be in euros. Your bank will charge you the day’s actual exchange rate.

They were greedy.

We have looked at our charges on line. The cc exchange rates are used when you charge in Euros. I believe Jim that is what you have to pay on the spot if you want to pay cash dollars.

The establishment was providing the option of which currency to pay your bill. It is rare, but sometimes I have found it more beneficial to pay in Dollars. Just depends how the establishment converts their determined rate which is their prerogative.

I don’t expect to get the current exchange rate when paying in USD cash on the island. Merchants/restaurants aren’t in the currency exchange business. If they accept USD cash then they’re doing me a favor, and there’s a cost (to me) associated with that. I carry USD, Euros, and plastic, and I pay with whichever is most advantageous to me. That’s usually a credit card with no Foreign Exchange fee.

I haven’t used the Currency Exchange on the island in years. Exchanging cash there will likely be done at a premium, but at a more favorable premium than at the Foreign Exchange kiosks found in US airports.

I don’t expect to get the current exchange rate when paying in USD cash on the island. Merchants/restaurants aren’t in the currency exchange business. If they accept USD cash then they’re doing me a favor, and there’s a cost (to me) associated with that. I carry USD, Euros, and plastic, and I pay with whichever is most advantageous to me. That’s usually a credit card with no Foreign Exchange fee.

I haven’t used the Currency Exchange on the island in years. Exchanging cash there will likely be done at a premium, but at a more favorable premium than at the Foreign Exchange kiosks found in US airports.

My son has found a euro cash machine at favorable rates- Me.

151 euros would be about $162...not $196.

View attachment 51356

Jim, at first I was going to suggest you check your cc bill (assuming you used a cc, and the charge was made in euros?) because you will likely find (as we did) that the (converted) dollars on the cc bill were on par with the 1.10 exchange rate rather than the dollars that showed up on the receipt. However, then I noticed that it looks like you were charged for 2 vanilla rhums. Wondering if they also tried to tell you service was not included? Sadly, there are a couple restaurants on the island trying to slide that one by.

Whichever restaurant, I'll give 'em a pass on the Rhum Vanille - it looks like it may have been Offert - Free.

The question of Service Compris (legally correct) or Service Non Compris (illegal, as I've been told for over 30 years) isn't revealed on the check image.

Service vs Tip (they're not the same) is not a discussion which I want to encourage - It hasn't changed, and there's nothing new to add to the old tipping threads.